More types of Stress Responses and nerfing Binge Eater

Considering how hard food is to come by, I feel like it might be a good idea to set some sort of limit on how much binge eaters will eat since I had 2-3 binge eaters clear out 95,000 kcal in a single sitting and now no one has any food.

As for ideas for other stress responses:

• Panic Attack/hyperventilation - dupe plays dying animation and converts all oxygen in the area into CO2
  • Sloth - dupe spends the entire day sleeping in their assigned cot if they have one, or just sleeping and not doing any assigned tasks, otherwise just does everything incredibly slowly
  • 'Distractive' - makes a scene and causes all dupes in the vicinity to stop what they're doing/otherwise lower productivity and decor

(might add others later)

I've seen some people argue that managing around binge eating is part of that game and that it would be too easy if there were no consequences to failure, but I agree it is by far the worst stress response. I know personally the way I manage that is by never ever taking one and that is effectively the same just removing it from the game. Some limits or mitigations would be very useful.   Honestly, if a group of people were locked up in a small base in a survival situation and they came back from struggling to survive to find someone had eaten three months of supplies, there's a good chance that that someone wouldn't ever be a problem again. Maybe we should have Dupe on Dupe murder as a hidden stress response?

4 hours ago, Bargeral said:

Maybe we should have Dupe on Dupe murder as a hidden stress response?

well I mean one of my binge eaters just basically choked on his food and died and even though that was a glitch it was also kind of good riddance XD

5 hours ago, Xadhoom said:

as far as i know, the binge eater is bugged. the description says 4k more kcal, not infinite, someone mentioned that you could stop one, once they eaten that 4k, if you toggle emergency mode.

I may have to try that at some point next time it happens

If nothing else there should definitely be inter-dupe consequences for taking more than a certain limit. Like, past a certain point of abused goodwill dupes start interrupting each others' work to have arguments with the offender, or they'll lollygag if the task they're trying to do is near the dupe they're mad at.

On 7/13/2017 at 2:50 PM, Xadhoom said:

as far as i know, the binge eater is bugged. the description says 4k more kcal, not infinite, someone mentioned that you could stop one, once they eaten that 4k, if you toggle emergency mode.

I've never tried that, but will certainly do so next time.

It seems to me that an easy fix would be after eating 'X' calories any additional calories that a dupe consumes would instead lower stress levels by a certain value per calorie (such as 1% per thousand Kcal).
This would be true of all dupes, but since most wont eat more calories than needed, it would only affect binge eaters.
Once a binge eater's stress level dropped below 'Y' percent (such as 95%), they would stop eating.

In this way, a binge eater would still eat high amounts of food, but they should quickly hit the calorie threshold and then 'de-stress' enough to stop eating, but if nothing went to correct the problem, they would quickly binge eat again as stress went back up.

In this way a player could have opportunity to try to intervene between binges and lower stress.

Honestly once you have figured out how amazing sleet wheat grain farming is for long term calorie production you don't have to worry about it anymore. I have over 32,000 sleet wheat grain and over 900,000 saved calories in my current game. Sleet Wheat is the only plant in the game that gives you seeds every harvest so you can exponentially get more and more. Just remember to let the sleet wheat grow a plant before sweeping the grains and also make your dupes drop more grain around in cold areas. Also opening new cold areas into view but not going inside of them til you need the grains is good too because it will continue to increase without you doing anything. I also like to pump CO2 into those areas so no pollution can reach them. Also remember to set your storage containers properly because sleet wheat will get stored with the other seeds and rot if you don't have a dedicated cold storage. Also there is a weird glitch with ration boxes too where you can fill up the ration box with sleet wheat grain and no way to force it out so you want to prioritize the cold storage container higher than your ration boxes by one point. 

I like the idea of new stress responses tho...

Why did noone come up with nightmares? Dupes could wake up in the middle of the night an disturb everyone's sleep in a large radius. Just imagine, what horrors must be hidden behind their shallow, empty eyes.

6 hours ago, Vincie said:

Why did noone come up with nightmares? Dupes could wake up in the middle of the night an disturb everyone's sleep in a large radius. Just imagine, what horrors must be hidden behind their shallow, empty eyes.

* cough * Vomitorium * cough *

* cough * Killer robots * cough *
* cough * 'meat' day * cough *

Sorry, couldn't resist.. but yeah, more stress reactions would be fun, and at the moment, the binge eater is so bad, I just never take one ever, unless I want to make some morbs.
I like the OP's ideas for stress.. some others might be:
- Hyperactivity, this dupe will litterally work harder when stressed, in fact, he will ignore everythign else in order to work, sleep, food, toilets, lack of Oxygen, anything. He'll keep doing whatever jobs he can do, until he keels over, or his stress goes down.

- Junker. When stressed, this dupe will run around randomly to any storage boxes of any kind you have around, and take out random stuff, throwing it on the ground, or taking it to another box and putting it in there, or throwing it somewhere else. Basicly he'll make a mess of everything that is neat.

- Cleaner, the opposite of the junker, when stressed, this dupe becomes a neat freak. Everything must be neat, everything must be clean. He will ignore his normal duties to pick up stuff and put it in storage boxes ( no matter what priority/contents requirements there are ) and try to mop up any open bodies of water.

- confusion. When stressed this dupe will forget what he's doing all the time, he'll start a job, then stop and begin doing something else, switch over again to somethign else etc. He will also confuse other dupes he meets, causing the same behaviour in them. Priorities for 'things do to' become irrelevent to confused dupes as well, so they could suddenly start doing something that isn't needed at all at the moment, then stop and run around in confusion some more. It is infectious, so confused dupes will confuse other dupes spreading the confusion around.

On Thursday, August 03, 2017 at 6:09 AM, suicide commando said:

- Hyperactivity, this dupe will litterally work harder when stressed, in fact, he will ignore everythign else in order to work, sleep, food, toilets, lack of Oxygen, anything. He'll keep doing whatever jobs he can do, until he keels over, or his stress goes down.

Wow! I suggested the exact same thing in a thread about a month ago.

Its these stress responses that makes me wish we could treat dupes like animals and order them to attack and kill the dupe responsible. Its Horrible I know... but after the dupe destroys every piece of equipment in the entire compound... yeah they need to go.

On 8/10/2017 at 7:04 AM, Darkarma said:

Its these stress responses that makes me wish we could treat dupes like animals and order them to attack and kill the dupe responsible. Its Horrible I know... but after the dupe destroys every piece of equipment in the entire compound... yeah they need to go.

Heh. To be honest Binge eaters piss me off more than destructives since I usually only have one stressed out at a time and they only destroy important stuff about 20% of the time

11 hours ago, Stinktooth said:

One massage table works fine for me.  Even for up to ~15 dupes.  Never seen a stress response proc in-game - after 556 hours played.

Dunno my Dupes must be idiots then, they don't use it when they should have it checked off as a job. Then they spontaniously develop destructive behavior and wreck everything.

If you know your binge eater is going to proc, you can lock them in a room with no access to food. Or vice versa, store your food supply in a sealed room and toggle permissions to disable the binge eater from entering. Manual airlocks are getting permissions next update will make this very easy to accomplish.

You can also toggle their permissions in the consumables menu to disallow them from eating any food.

17 hours ago, Darkarma said:

Dunno my Dupes must be idiots then, they don't use it when they should have it checked off as a job. Then they spontaniously develop destructive behavior and wreck everything.

Massage table is a job for the duplicant and it will do it according to the priority set to the table compared to priorities of other available jobs. Personally I use priority 8 for massage tables and only very few other things have such high priority (I don't use priority 9 except in emergencies such as entombed dupes).

8 hours ago, HellaChaz said:

If you know your binge eater is going to proc, you can lock them in a room with no access to food. Or vice versa, store your food supply in a sealed room and toggle permissions to disable the binge eater from entering. Manual airlocks are getting permissions next update will make this very easy to accomplish.

You can also toggle their permissions in the consumables menu to disallow them from eating any food.

I literally abuse all my dupes with the debug console when they're stressed I've found creative ways to prevent them from eating stuff lmao

Archived