Rhymes with Play 147 - Oxygen Not Included (Update Preview)

On this week's Rhymes with Play on Twitch, we will be playing through and discussing content that we are currently working on for the upcoming Oxygen Not Included update! The live stream will be going live on Thursday, July 13th at 3:30 PM Pacific (10:30 PM UTC) only on the Rhymes with Play Dev Cast.

Note: As the game is still in development, content shown in the update preview streams may change before going live on Steam Early Access. 

Where is it?
On our official Twitch channel here:
http://www.twitch.tv/kleientertainment

When is it?
Twitch Stream Date: July 13th, 2017 

10:30 PM UTC (Coordinated Universal Time)
6:30 PM ET (East)
5:30 PM CT (Central)
4:30 PM MT (Mountain)

Here's a handy tool to figure out what time that means for you.

If you missed the live stream, you can check out the VOD on Twitch now.

Note: As the game is still in development, content shown in the update preview streams may change before going live on Steam Early Access.

Watch live video from KleiEntertainment on www.twitch.tv

Be sure to check out the Rhymes With Play Dev Cast on Twitch every Thursday at 3:30 PM (Pacific)! 

Also, a special thanks to Der_Grune_Harlekin, Ironic.Dave.Strider, Atarsto, BlueandPurpleVillain, Epicendurianart, Robogamer35, SmegEgg, SuperLoveHarrryPotter, Zelphie87, and Jsandart for sharing their Oxygen Not Included art with us.

4 hours ago, JanH said:

Not to worry, we will be posting the VOD on this forum thread right after the show ends at 4:30 PM (pacific) today.

and I want to know when we can play。

when to update on the steam?

They said the next update would likely be within the next few weeks, so about a month.

Also, some of my own questions that were answered:

Movement bonuses not applying to Dupes climbing/hopping on or off ladders, ledges etc is a known issue and will be addressed.

Seeds or a way of getting more non food plants like bristle briars for decoration will hopefully be added.

Not sure if ceiling lights will be changed to be more round rather then cone like, but there are more light sources coming.

The new farming mechanics means that plants either grow or don't if conditions are met or not. No more worrying about different yields. IIRC it was mentioned that seeds have a chance to drop every harvest also.

Also, since the water bottle emptier looks to be able to be mirrored, I am hopeful they might extend this to other objects, my dream of a symmetrical base one day may not be dead!

Was really hoping there'd be more about disease and especially the countermeasures.  I feel like we didn't really learn much more than we did two streams ago.  Mainly this new directional building mechanic.  Which is going to make hand sanitizers much more annoying to use, if they still off-gas chlorine.  In fact if they still do that I could see them being not worth using, and just instead dealing with dirty wash basin water, which at least seems probably easily controllable.  Unless we get something that soaks up chlorine gas.

Then, we get compelled to use tepidizers, but still no legit method of cooling water directly.  One more pipe radiator/wheezewort draw I guess, unless a liquid cooling cooling machine is in the offing in the next few weeks or....hydrofans get a new lease on life!?

Seems like there must still be quite a lot to do, just to get a finished disease/countermeasure system.  I hope a month will be enough time.

Summary:

Farming:

• New harvest system: plants have a requirement for air pressure, *body temperature* (not air temperature as before), illumination, atmosphere (set of allowed gases), and presence of liquid. If any of these are not met, plants won't grow. Seeds are produced with a % chance on each harvest.
  • Farming research has been split into 3-- Basic Farming (Tier 1) as before, Meal Prep (T2, Cooking Station, Refrigerator, Farm Tile), and Agriculture (T3, Fertilizer Maker, Hydroponic Farm, ?Seed Splicer?). It looks like Aquatic Farm Tiles are gone.
  • Mushrooms are now called Dusk Caps and look pretty and purple.
  • Swamp Lilies are now called Balm Lilies and show up in the Caustic/purple biome. They produce flowers with "medicinal properties".

Liquids:

• We saw the Liquid Bottler before, which is built over a liquid and allows dupes to bottle the liquid.
  • We also have a Bottle Emptier now, to which dupes can deliver bottles to release the liquid. You can set which liquid the Emptier accepts. It empties bottles at a certain rate (seems to be somewhere in 1-10 kg/s)
  • Bottled polluted water will evaporate, making polluted oxygen.
  • Mopping makes bottled liquids.

Diseases:

• As before we saw the overlay, with germs being shown on cells, dupes, and having sources like outhouses. 
  • Current diseases: Food Poisoning, Trench Stench, The Spores, and Slimelung (seems to be in the Caustic/purple and Swamp/green biomes).
  • Things like hypothermia that aren't germ-based are separate and still exist, may get called "Ailments".
  • Duplicants have an "immunity meter" that can be monitored in the vitals panel, and contact with germs depletes immunity. When it hits zero, they get the disease. They appear to innately replenish 10 per cycle. The Immunity stat gives them extra immunity meter.
  • Germs die faster when the area is heated up.
  • New Wash Basin building. Duplicants use it if they walk by it (in a particular configurable direction), allowing you to control when they use it by controlling duplicant pathing. Water is delivered to wash basins, and when used they produce bottles of polluted water (with the germs in the bottle).
  • The hand sanitizer uses the same walk-by system, but destroys the germs instead of moving them.
  • Polluted Water and Oxygen aren't sources of disease anymore, but they allow germs to spread very quickly.
  • Slimelung seems to reduce breath capacity and causes them to produce slime.

Miscellaneous:

• New Trait, Caregiver, appears to increase Medicine
  • New negative traits, Squeamish and Trypophobia. Presumably affect stress generation in some way.
  • Storage Compactors now have a slider for how much you want to store in them (can request less than the full 20 tons).
  • Plumbing and Ventilation now have separate building tabs.
  • Priority overlay has been removed from the overlay strip, but using the priority tool still shows it.
  • New creature, Shine Bug, emits light and has +10 Decor like other creatures.
  • Daily report now breaks down travel time, and time spent doing different tasks. Helps figure out what duplicants are spending time on (like delivering)

1 hour ago, Scorpio King said:

Thank you recap guy, but are you sure about this? Makes no sense if its going to evaporate in bottles rather than when its free.

Ya, I remember Yog saying that.  It makes sense from the perspective of they don't want you to just bottle up the water and leave it sitting there.  They want you to de-bottle it and deal with it.  Additionally, if you leave them there they'll just be exchanging temperatures, clogging up the processor.   Hence the stick of evaporation of fresh water, and off-gassing of PW into PO. Use it or lose it. 

3 hours ago, brummbar7 said:

Hence the stick of evaporation of fresh water

Wait, bottled fresh water evaporates too? I hope that's not too quick. Does it just disappear, or does it produce a gas?

As for the evaporation of bottled polluted water, this could be unintendedly useful if you have an oxygen liquefier or want to feed a puft to make slime, as right now it takes a lot of space to evaporate enough polluted water for one duplicant's breathing.

26 minutes ago, Sevio said:

Wait, bottled fresh water evaporates too?

I don't think so actually. 

27 minutes ago, Sevio said:

As for the evaporation of bottled polluted water, this could be unintendedly useful if you have an oxygen liquefier or want to feed a puft to make slime, as right now it takes a lot of space to evaporate enough polluted water for one duplicant's breathing.

Hmm perhaps. Since it's an item, it's probably using the Sublimates component, which means mechanically it would function more like slime in terms of production of polluted oxygen. It doesn't seem like it would be that hard to mass-produce bottles, you'd just need a row of wash basins and have duplicants walk by frequently. But... I'm not sure it would really be worth the time, because the animation for the wash basin is a bit long, and basins require water to be delivered as well. Although it takes a lot of space to evaporate polluted water, it is extremely easy to scale up and is pretty much entirely maintenance-free once it is scaled.

23 hours ago, rezecib said:

New negative traits, Squeamish and Trypophobia. Presumably affect stress generation in some way.

I also recall seeing a trait called "Pacifist", I'm assuming that it's gonna replace the trait "Scaredy-Cat".

On 14/07/2017 at 3:38 PM, asmallrabbit said:

it was mentioned that seeds have a chance to drop every harvest also.

Yes, they have a 30 or 33% chance to drop seed for every harvest.

On 14/07/2017 at 3:38 PM, asmallrabbit said:

Also, since the water bottle emptier looks to be able to be mirrored, I am hopeful they might extend this to other objects, my dream of a symmetrical base one day may not be dead!

B.Emptier can be mirrored because you need to control where the water will come out.

but yes, extending this feature it to anyother object will be neat

11 hours ago, Zervo said:

B.Emptier can be mirrored because you need to control where the water will come out.

but yes, extending this feature it to anyother object will be neat

Well the argument against mirroring before was that they liked people having to plan and build around the fixed positions. If they are changing that for the bottle emptier, i see no reason why they couldn't extend it to other objects as well.

I understand the design decision around it, but visually, it would just look so much better if you could flip certain objects so it doesnt always look like your whole base should go in one direction.

imo the argument for mirroring the transformer is far stronger than for mirroring the bottle emptier.  There's nothing about a fixed emptier position that a mesh tile or slightly lowered position wouldn't have solved, near as I can tell.  So hopefully they'll finally get the transformer a mirror function.

10 hours ago, brummbar7 said:

imo the argument for mirroring the transformer is far stronger than for mirroring the bottle emptier.  There's nothing about a fixed emptier position that a mesh tile or slightly lowered position wouldn't have solved, near as I can tell.  So hopefully they'll finally get the transformer a mirror function.

just want to point this out, bottle emptier are available since the start. mesh tile are tier 3 tech.

so it will took a while before they flooding the tile, lowering the tile would still make the dupe step on the same tile while placing the bottle (debuff)

3 hours ago, Zervo said:

just want to point this out, bottle emptier are available since the start. mesh tile are tier 3 tech.

so it will took a while before they flooding the tile, lowering the tile would still make the dupe step on the same tile while placing the bottle (debuff)

I'm aware of mesh tile tech level, which is why I also mentioned lowered tile. (this is currently only an issue in the first 20-ish turns, depending on how you prioritize mesh tile research)  If you watch the video at 41:30, the dupe places the bottle onto the emptier from two tiles away (as they can do with any delivery) so he does *not* step in the polluted water which is present there.  So you could in fact have the emptier on a floating tile at the same floor level, with a gap of 1 on either side, and the dupes can use it fine.   Since the bottle does not drain on the emptier tile itself, it would stay dry.   Mirroring totally unnecessary. 

29 minutes ago, brummbar7 said:

I'm aware of mesh tile tech level, which is why I also mentioned lowered tile. (this is currently only an issue in the first 20-ish turns, depending on how you prioritize mesh tile research)  If you watch the video at 41:30, the dupe places the bottle onto the emptier from two tiles away (as they can do with any delivery) so he does *not* step in the polluted water which is present there.  So you could in fact have the emptier on a floating tile at the same floor level, with a gap of 1 on either side, and the dupes can use it fine.   Since the bottle does not drain on the emptier tile itself, it would stay dry.   Mirroring totally unnecessary. 

oh yeah, i didn't notice that the 2 tiles apart also works for the emptier.

But i still think wetting their own tile is a mess though, i prefer the current one where they dump it into an empty tile.

encouraging us to lower or waiting for a mesh tile in order to not flood the floor is a bit annoying.

I rather they have another building later on that allow us to connect the empitier to a pipe.

Archived