Net Neutrality

Auth

https://www.battleforthenet.com/

In case you don't know, a bunch of cable companies want to end net neutrality.

If you don't know what that is, that means that said cable companies cannot control our internet, block what we see, slow specific websites down, etc.

What does this mean?

Website providers are going to suffer, and us normal users won't be able to do whatever we so desire freely on the internet anymore. They're going to specifically slow websites down unless they pay a royalty to speed up again. The entire balance of the internet hangs right in this conflict, and this is the last day you can really do something about it.

2 hours ago, Weirdobob said:

Sort of. It's only for the US, but US hosted websites will suffer from it.

So that means it would affect:

-Steam

-The Blizzard App

-Any game made in the US, or game servers in the U.S

-Any Google-owned site, especially ones with US domains.

23 minutes ago, DragonMage156 said:

Um... yeah why are the doing this again? What are they trying to achieve?

More money by force scamming users.

"Oh, you wanna use google? That'll be $400 on your plan."

"Oh, wanna stream more than 6 3 minute videos? That'll cost you another $2000"

And let's say they don't like the color purple, well, now all of the color purple is blocked. You can't look up anything relating to purple. Your information doesn't matter. You should only know what they want you to know, and only believe what they want you to believe.

Cuz, screw forming your own opinions, right?

You know what's ironic about Net Neutrality?

You know all the ISP and Cable companies that are paying the FCC members money to remove Net Neutrality? Yeah, they've broken FCC Regulations in the past. For the government to wiretap people. Which while isn't related to the internet, is related to the Cable Companies, it shows that these companies are willing to break some rules, and could break them again, even if the FCC doesn't investigate. Which, the FCC was made because they abolished the U.S Government controlling the communications. Not to mention the internet is under Title 2, declaring it a Utility, and that it cannot be bottle-necked (regulated).

As I've probably stated before, this is very serious, even if you don't live in the United States, you can't argue that the U.S holds some form of role model for countries to then follow, for example, there are examples of the U.K making laws that the U.S made before them (I don't know of any examples and currently am too tired to research any more), but trust me when I say if the U.S does it, it's completely possible for countries to follow suit.

Also, remember, there aren't as many CEO's as there are normal people in the world, so the CEO's and business people who are against Net Neutrality represent one of the few vocal minorities (this is not about race obviously, this has to do with how many people there are compared to everyone else).

46 minutes ago, minespatch said:

Hopefully this didn't come to pass.

I think we all do. It'd be hard for me to check the Klei Forums, or play games on Steam Comcast decides to block them.

Archived