Too much heat

The most popular suggestion is Hydrogen base cooling. Hydrogen has very high heat conductivity and can hold a resonable amount of heat. So, run Granit gas pipe try your water tank and cool hydrogen inside using termo regulator. make an infinite loop from that. Smal closed room - pump - regulator - pipe radiator - back to the small closed room. Granite because has the best conductivity of easily accessible materials.

Cooling it down to room temperature when you're using a lot of it is infeasible without using cooling glitches. The best way to deal with it is to send it as hot water in abyssalite pipes to machines that use it. Hydroponic farms use it up but are completely unaffected by its temperature, the electrolyzer and air scrubber have fixed output temperatures.

IIRC you can use it in the lavatories and showers too without ill effects but you might have to deal with hot polluted water afterwards.

41 minutes ago, Sevio said:

IIRC you can use it in the lavatories and showers too without ill effects but you might have to deal with hot polluted water afterwards.

Send it into mealwood (just let them rot in place and make fertilizer using compost buildings) or pepper farms to get rid of polluted water without any heat problems.

Wouldnt you be able to use the hot water to heat up polluted water so you can turn it to steam? Obviously only as a secondary heat source, you would still need something to push the temperature past boiling, that way you can cool the clean water and heat the polluted water? I havnt tried heating up water this way.

1 hour ago, BlueLance said:

Wouldnt you be able to use the hot water to heat up polluted water so you can turn it to steam? Obviously only as a secondary heat source, you would still need something to push the temperature past boiling, that way you can cool the clean water and heat the polluted water? I havnt tried heating up water this way.

Since polluted water has greater specific heat capacity than clean water, you can theoretically add some geyser water to the heat exchanger pre-heating the polluted water coming into the process and condensing/cooling the outgoing clean water. But it's not a lot of it (about 1/3 of water produced by boiling I think) and it makes the process even more complicated. Not mentioning the game is not really friendly to boiling polluted water, all ways not involving magma/hot map bottom are hacks and exploits. And magma isn't very reliable, it'll cool down over time requiring occasional rebuilds of the machine.

4 hours ago, Sevio said:

Cooling it down to room temperature when you're using a lot of it is infeasible without using cooling glitches. The best way to deal with it is to send it as hot water in abyssalite pipes to machines that use it. Hydroponic farms use it up but are completely unaffected by its temperature, the electrolyzer and air scrubber have fixed output temperatures.

I'm a newbie to this game, but won't hot water heat up the living area when you pump it to showers and lavatories? I cooled down my geyser water by first pumping a small amount into a little chamber with three wheezeworts in it, and then into the main water tank as soon as it was cooler. That seemed to take care of the heat problems in my living area, or at least I think that was what did it. I guess I wasn't using abyssalite pipes, but it felt like a lot of work to extract all that abyssalite, and the natural abyssalite nearby seemed to shield the base from the hot biomes, so I didn't want to remove it.

My best attempt at a heat-neutral polluted water cleaner could probably process somewhere around 1200 g/s.

It used opposite flows of clean water condensed from steam over polluted water going to the boiler. (a countercurrent heat exchanger) This allows incoming cold polluted water to reach over 70 C and can cool the cleaned water down to about 45 C. Another stage used thermoregulators to further cool the clean water and heat polluted water to ~105C. The boiling step has to be done by exploiting the tepidizer but it works pretty reliably after it reaches a steady state.

Horizontal heat exchange between fluids seems to be a set rate regardless of the amount of fluid in the tile, so this method works worse when the throughput is too low. (heat will backflow through the exchanger to the input and heat it up) When the condensing part of the exchanger heats up too much (too little flow or the heat exchanger is too long), it can't condense steam fast enough anymore and the system breaks down.

It can be a fun project but it definitely would require patience to test the optimum flow for a heat exchanger of a certain length and for a certain temperature difference.

I also tried a countercurrent exchanger design that keeps water in the pipes and exchanges heat via doors but the heat exchange between pipes and the environment is far too slow to make that a feasible option.

9 hours ago, Sevio said:

The best way to deal with it is to send it as hot water in abyssalite pipes to machines that use it.

4 hours ago, PetterSjoelund said:

I'm a newbie to this game, but won't hot water heat up the living area when you pump it to showers and lavatories? I cooled down my geyser water by first pumping a small amount into a little chamber with three wheezeworts in it, and then into the main water tank as soon as it was cooler. That seemed to take care of the heat problems in my living area, or at least I think that was what did it. I guess I wasn't using abyssalite pipes, but it felt like a lot of work to extract all that abyssalite, and the natural abyssalite nearby seemed to shield the base from the hot biomes, so I didn't want to remove it.

The trick is the abyssalite material you make the pipes from. It has a tiny thermal conductivity so as it travels through your base it will not heat things up. If you use abyssalite on every pipe section leading to your machine the machine will just use the hot liquid with no consequences. At least in the current build.

Edit: Also don't be afraid of digging out the shields. As long as you leave a 1 tile thick layer the biomes will remain shielded.

Well, we do have tools to cool down water, they just can't handle the massive amount of heat coming from geysers. (at least not without using the water drop cooling bug or the bridge temperature bug) But we don't have to handle all of that heat right now since machines don't care. We only have to cool the geyser steam enough for it to condense.

If using hot geyser water in machines gets real consequences in the future, then I think we'll need better tools.

One tool could be a machine that cools down huge amounts of geyser water and destroys the heat. It will probably make heat management for the rest of the colony quite easy as well since water becomes an infinite dump for heat.

Another solution (which I prefer) would be a better way to exchange heat between fluids or gases (speed up the rate of heat exchange between pipes and the environment) and adding a legit way to boil water. That would let you cool your boiled fresh water with cold polluted water that's going to the boiler.

5 hours ago, Sevio said:

One tool could be a machine that cools down huge amounts of geyser water and destroys the heat.

A suggestion that's been given at least a few times, is some sort of radiator structure that the player can build at the top of the map, protruding into space, through the neutronium.  I think it's a better solution than just a machine that goes anywhere, because then there is a compelling reason for the player to seek out the top of the map, since it becomes the best place to dump large amounts of heat.  You'd also have a limit on the number of machines based simply on the space available at the top. I think that then they could get rid of all the fixed-temp outputs, and let them output at actual temperature, because then there would be a solution.  But who knows what devious plans Klei has?  There's tons of elements in filter lists that we haven't even seen yet, and they haven't really touched any 'sci-fi' tech at all so far, as far as things the player can build.

As far as heat exchange we already have regulators, that do gas heat exchange (albeit between a controlled gas, and an uncontrolled one).  I can only imagine we'll get some water related tools in the future, given how important the mechanic is.  But I am definitely curious to see if it's the intent for huge pipe arrays to be a primary mechanic, or if they will indeed give us some plate heat exchangers or something, to accomplish the task in a more efficient way.  I really hope they do.

13 hours ago, chemie said:

5 weeze in H2 room and single pump to circulate to radiator cooler in geyser keep it at 40C.  For full passive, put the 5 weeze in H2 room right above the geyser.  H2 room is around -40C and return is around +23C.  Key is to have radiator in liquid for high heat transfer

http://imgur.com/UhcAQTk

Maximum wheezewort capacity in hydrogen is somewhere near 15 kW. Let's say it's 16 kW. And let's say the water has specific thermal capacity 3 J/g/K since I can't look the exact number up at the moment. Then single wheezewort can cool water from 95 C to 40 C at a rate 97 g per second. That's less than 0.5 kg with five wheezeworts. Geyser production is 8 times that. So if it keeps the pool cold, there's some splash exploit involved, even if unintended.

Geysers produce 150C steam right? So as you take away the water at the bottom of the pool, the actual gradient becomes 150C - 95C at the minimum, or more if you prefer cooler water. Without sufficient cooling, first your water pool heats up and then the steam no longer condenses once it reaches too high a temperature.

7 hours ago, Kasuha said:

Maximum wheezewort capacity in hydrogen is somewhere near 15 kW. Let's say it's 16 kW. And let's say the water has specific thermal capacity 3 J/g/K since I can't look the exact number up at the moment. Then single wheezewort can cool water from 95 C to 40 C at a rate 97 g per second. That's less than 0.5 kg with five wheezeworts. Geyser production is 8 times that. So if it keeps the pool cold, there's some splash exploit involved, even if unintended.

I am not aware of any bugs/exploits in effect.  No dripping water.  It is a single pump on level switch inside the geyer's enclosure which is full absylitte tile on outside.  H2 is in closed loop pump. -35C outgoing and 23C incoming at 500g/s H2 flow (single pump).  H2 room is -35C too.

It is possible I am overpressuing the room and not getting full geyer output, room says it is 1500kg pressure so not sure that is the case.

I had set it up with an additional 5 weeze in the passive mode in H2 chamber above the room but turned them off and did not see a big change in temps.  Has been stable in mid-40's for hundreds of cycles.

Archived