Hydrogen Leaking?

I had a room enclosed with a door and water lock but a lot of hydrogen was lost in 10 cycles. What things cause hydrogen leaking / destruction? Oh right, also does pumping hot water through obsidian pipes into the plants make it hotter?Pt20Oum.jpg

You have a lot of wheezeworts there. Each of them may "disappear" about 500 g of gas with each save/load cycle. So if you have saved and loaded a lot over that 10 cycle period, it might be that.

Are you talking about the top room, or the bottom room?  In either case, two things could cause the hydrogen to poof or get trapped somewhere.

1)  The Wheezeworts; they take in gas into themselves, cool it, then expel it.  All those little bottles you see on the floor there?  Those are probably bottles filled with hydrogen.  You can click on them and empty them out.

2)  Doors; I don't believe this is the issue in your case since you only have 1 door to each room, but multiple doors right next to each other will destroy gases on occasion. 

3 hours ago, Scorpio King said:

Doors destroy gases no matter the number.

Doors haven't destroyed gas in a long time. It gets displaced to the side. If it gets trapped in a room with only an open door that then gets closed then yes it'll get destroyed.

As for the hydrogen, did you happen to have gas pipes filled with hydrogen that you destroyed at some point? It seems to have gathered in ceiling pockets all over the place so not just a leak somewhere.

4 minutes ago, Risu said:

Doors haven't destroyed gas in a long time. It gets displaced to the side. If it gets trapped in a room with only an open door that then gets closed then yes it'll get destroyed.

As for the hydrogen, did you happen to have gas pipes filled with hydrogen that you destroyed at some point? It seems to have gathered in ceiling pockets all over the place so not just a leak somewhere.

I've released some hydrogen though a valve in the past since there was too much in that room. The valve is now set to 0. That was many many cycles ago. I've then filled it back up to about 1.2kg per square. I think in this save there's still 800g but 10 cycles later some squares only had 200g left. It was rather drastic for just door destorying the gass. Perhaps horizontal doors still destroy a lot of gass? I dunno. I almost wondered if duplicants were breathing it since so much was gone, but the replies seem to imply thats not a thing.

It could have something to do with weezeworts as some were mentioning. I did remove a bunch of weezeworts and plant new ones. I didn't save and load much at all though.

2 hours ago, Risu said:

You are wrong, i just made a tunnel with doors and 3 block spacing between doors, i placed 10k kg oxygen in those spacing and let dups run back and forth. Oxygen vanishes, it does not get pushed to the sides. And please don't tell me 3 dupes used 30k kg in 1 cycle.

5 minutes ago, Scorpio King said:

Oxygen vanishes, it does not get pushed to the sides.

I'm pretty sure that the air gets pushed to the sides, otherwise dupes won't be able to bring polluted oxygen into a clean base through a two-door airlock. But if there's too much pressure where the door is trying to push the air, I would assume it may destroy some gases instead of displacing them.

56 minutes ago, Scorpio King said:

You are wrong, i just made a tunnel with doors and 3 block spacing between doors, i placed 10k kg oxygen in those spacing and let dups run back and forth. Oxygen vanishes, it does not get pushed to the sides. And please don't tell me 3 dupes used 30k kg in 1 cycle.

Hmm. It might be displacing into the other door tile while it is trying to replace it. So the simulator might have a bug where it can't handle both in the same tick. Will have to experiment with it.

Either way this has nothing to do with hydrogen leaking.

Edit: No changing the door to just 1 tile still screws up. Suspect there is a bug with the setup process as the code is similar to placing tiles but tiles don't destroy mass. Tempted to just swap in the same code and see how it acts.

12 hours ago, Scorpio King said:

See for yourself, it goes down to miligrams.

I think this nailed the problem. Since there was some water, the duplicants running in to clean the water must have caused too many door opening / closing thus destroying a lot of hydrogen. I think I'll destroy the doors and keep the water lock. Also I believe horizontal doors may cause even more hydrogen destruction, not tested but a gut feeling on how much gas I lost when i set the horizontal door to auto.

*Sorry should have made clear that the hydrogen wasn't necessary leaking but just disappearing. The hydrogen pockets are from experiments long ago.

6 hours ago, asveron said:

I think this nailed the problem. Since there was some water, the duplicants running in to clean the water must have caused too many door opening / closing thus destroying a lot of hydrogen. I think I'll destroy the doors and keep the water lock. Also I believe horizontal doors may cause even more hydrogen destruction, not tested but a gut feeling on how much gas I lost when i set the horizontal door to auto.

*Sorry should have made clear that the hydrogen wasn't necessary leaking but just disappearing. The hydrogen pockets are from experiments long ago.

Why you even have a door there if there is a water air lock?

You can still use the "door bug", but maybe you want to play legit, up to you.

23 minutes ago, Scorpio King said:

Why you even have a door there if there is a water air lock?

You can still use the "door bug", but maybe you want to play legit, up to you.

sometimes duplicants take water from the lock, so I just added a door in case. Also just from intuition it seems like having two "blockers" would make temperature transfer slower since the there's no actual gas exchange through doors even though it's conductive.

4 hours ago, asveron said:

sometimes duplicants take water from the lock, so I just added a door in case. Also just from intuition it seems like having two "blockers" would make temperature transfer slower since the there's no actual gas exchange through doors even though it's conductive.

Doors are quite bad at keeping the heat out, all the metals we have right now have far better heat conductivity than water. If heat transfer is your best concern, water is the solution. I just dont like how long it takes to navigate water airlocks and the debuff it gives.

On 7. 7. 2017 at 0:04 AM, Scorpio King said:

See for yourself, it goes down to miligrams.

I spent a few minutes watching what airlocks do in my base and I agree with you. It seems they don't putch much effort into displacing the gas they're about to cover anymore. I wonder if and when it changed, I would swear they used to behave differently.

Archived