Ability to place natural blocks

Tiles give duplicants a 50% runspeed bonus as well as a decor bonus, which natural blocks do not have. I think the desire to place natural blocks back stems from the fact that there is all this variety in materials and looks in the natural blocks of the map, but it is all replaced by the same dull grey tile texture after an area has been dug out. Not even a hint in the tile's look to indicate what material it is made of.

So to the suggestion of placing natural blocks, I'd like to add the suggestion of making Tiles (and insulated Tiles) show in their textures what material it was made of. This also gives the player a bit of choice in how they want their rooms to look.

With the ability to place natural blocks you could do some fun stuff where players are encouraged to keep or terraform a nature area somewhere in their base, maybe for Duplicants to relax, plants and creatures to live in a natural environment. (if that becomes important to them rather than putting them in a Tile cage)

The only real uses I can see for constructed natural tiles is 1) hatch habitat - I think if they can't burrow, they eventually die?  This could be fixed by allowing them to burrow into farm tiles though.   And 2) non-offgassing storage of slime and bleach, but you can do that with water lockers anyway.  They have a huge disadvantage in not being able to have wires and pipes run through them, plus the stuff Sevio mentioned, so other than hatch habitat I see absolutely no *current* need for them.  

Visually different wall tiles would be awesome.

There really is no need for it, but why limit players creativity? ;) All your comments make excellent points. I'm the type that doesn't like huge open caves around my base so I guess I just wanna be able to fill in stuff I don't want to mess with. They would be good for building support behind the walls of a septic tank. Maybe not having so many gasses moving around would help framerate, not sure.

4 hours ago, brummbar7 said:

The only real uses I can see for constructed natural tiles is 1) hatch habitat - I think if they can't burrow, they eventually die?  This could be fixed by allowing them to burrow into farm tiles though.   And 2) non-offgassing storage of slime and bleach, but you can do that with water lockers anyway.

Don't forget about planting 'wild' plants by dropping their seeds on natural tiles, and getting excellent harvest without fertilizing and irrigating, albeit after longer period.

1 hour ago, Kasuha said:

Don't forget about planting 'wild' plants by dropping their seeds on natural tiles, and getting excellent harvest without fertilizing and irrigating, albeit after longer period.

True as things are, but I'd rather just see that behavior go away, and wild plants play by the same rules as the rest.

1 hour ago, Coolthulhu said:

It seems that fertilization will become mandatory for domesticated plants, but probably not for wild ones.

I can imagine only one player reaction to that: massive return to wild plants farming.

Definitely hope fertilization will not be mandatory. That would render pincha peppers unsustainable.

Archived