What would you like to see in the future of DST ?

While we wait for new/information of what is next , let's talk about what we would love to see in the future of DST . Give ideas , discuss them and so on .
I think this is a nice time to talk about this ...

So ... First of all I would love to see the alternative seasons that were mentioned in TtA (before a really loooooong time) . For example - Let's have a winter without snow , only ice and baren ground (colder winter) . Or another alternative winter with snow storms (think minor version of the sand storm but snow and global)

I would love to see the flood from SW in DST , that would be really fun to play with friends ...

As for PvP guilds/clans would be nice , something like making your own base vs another base , trying to control biomes for resources - team match you could say . Like a spawn point for team A and spawn point for team B . Or even world vs world . 2 worlds connected with a gate(you go in the gate and spawn at a random palce in the other world with your gear and everything) and you can PvP only those from the other world .

And new characters that a must , not only Winona (2 or 3 of them) . This way you can play with more players and not having characters repeat .

I really think that the future of DS franchise is in DST . The multipalyer just made the game way too fun ... sadly also a bit too easy  ....... I would love to see some creatures/bosses that can kill you without begin optional - like at day XXX a new type of creature spawns in the world and you have to survive it . Because the new content is good but ... almost all of it is optional = you can survive without doing it . That just takes the survival part out of the game ...

31 minutes ago, 1v0 said:

Because the new content is good but ... almost all of it is option = you can survive without doing it . That just takes the survival part out of the game ...

This.

While I dig everything A New Reign has added, it didn't add anything new that you HAVE to do. You can pretty much ignore all the mobs added in ANR just because they're optional (except maybe Antlion, which was a step in the right direction).

Unfortunately, DST pretty much had to become easier due to multiplayer. That's a little frustrating when your friend is playing without you, so they had to make it easier to play with a team of any-skilled people.

Yeah, but RoG is more difficult than base DS, and RoG is enabled on most servers, so for people, like me, who learned how to play with DS, then RoG later, step by step, the game could seems too easy now, but for players that have to start with RoG, in a multiplayer game, it's not exactly the same thing.

Adding more difficulty in a good way is hard. You must improve the experience for veteran players without changing it too much for news players (they already have a lot to learn). It's why ANR add only content you could do if you want, but don't have to.

I would like to see seasons variants, but it's not that easy to do (in a good way, again). Let's say you add a season variant for winter. It can't come in the first winter (because of the news players with a lot of things to learn). So second winter.

Now, let's say this season is harder because it's colder. Ok. Why as a player would i enjoy a new season colder than the previous one ? I would probably stay in my base more often, turtling a lot. And since i got a year to prepare, i would not have to go outside a lot.

So why would i go outside ? Because of news things ? News creatures exclusive to season variant ? News resources to gather, plants to discover or whatever could make a player move and not wait in base ?

But if you do this, you must wait more than one year to see the new content, and if for a reason or another you play in world that don't stay, this will be frustrated because you will not see new content often (some will never see it).

So how to solve this ? How to add new content and new difficulty, without making it gated behind conditions that not everyone will reach, especially a time condition (we don't all have a lot of time to play), and without making the first seasons in the game more difficult ?

For the moment i don't really see a good answer. And i guess it's why ANR focused on content you can do mostly when you want/when you are ready.

The main case when adding new content people could maybe never see isn't a real problem is when you have enough content to make people happy even if they never reach the specific content. Maybe it will be easier now that we have ANR, at least a little.

I'd like to have a new DLC, I don't care if it costs $20$ as long as it has some new content, new features, new mechanics, & a couple new characters, like SW had, it would be worth imo.

Just now, SuperDavid said:

I'd like to have a new DLC, I don't care if it costs $20

I'd care. If a new DLC was added that cost real money then it would segregate the playerbase. I personally despise multiplayer games that do this. Although I think Klei sees this already and that's why we got RoG and ANR for free in DST.

I mean I'd likely buy it anyway (because c'mon, I think all of us here love throwing our money at Klei) but I have a few friends who might not. So I'd be unable to play with them using a new DLC. And that situation just makes everyone unhappy.

1 hour ago, Lumina said:

Yeah, but RoG is more difficult than base DS, and RoG is enabled on most servers, so for people, like me, who learned how to play with DS, then RoG later, step by step, the game could seems too easy now, but for players that have to start with RoG, in a multiplayer game, it's not exactly the same thing.

Adding more difficulty in a good way is hard. You must improve the experience for veteran players without changing it too much for news players (they already have a lot to learn). It's why ANR add only content you could do if you want, but don't have to.

Yea I agree that it would be hard to balance , but I think if they make the alternative seasons not harder just different(and special resources/items in them) like the example I gave - the snow slows your movemnt so without the snow you move better but winter is colder ... I can't really see it getting harder to that point but ... some ppl might have problems with it .... as for me when you prepare for winter you will be prepared for the cold so it won't really matter if it's the normal one or an alternative .
I would suggest for it to be (if every season have 3 possibilities) 40%/30%/30% normal/alternative/alternative .

As for making it harder to survive the only think I can think of is = If 1 player has survived for example 120 days new and harder mosnters/features/items/resources start to appear . 1 year is enogh time to get all you need and not get bored of the game ... if you are going for the optional bosses and ruins maybe even 2 years are good . This way you will have a reason to play after those 2 years because you will see new stuff new items/new creatures/new challenges .
Or they could just make it - active the portal in ruins and new stuff start coming over in your world .

I started with DS (with RoG early access) It was hard at first I still remember how surprised I was when I saw the deerclops :D  or the first frog rain I had that made me panic :D . And I have to say I really miss things like that - when you don't expect something and it comes to kill you . So next game you try to prepare for it because you know , it will happen at some point . 
I would really love more randomness in the game .

The fees from the community market already give them money, so a Paid DLC, and since Klei is seen very good at a company, they wouldn't want to screw up their reputation. Neither do they seem like they will because of the free DLCs and the free copies during almost release, and they have also made changes based on feedback. Klei obviously acknowledges what the community feels and says, and they make necessary changes from that. That just shows they aren't gonna do something like that anytime soon, DST even is "Overwhemingly Positive", that increases their sales too.

Either way, with the topic, this is what I'd like to see myself:

• PvP re-balance (JohnWhatson's mod does just what I want).
  • Better controls.
  • Tick rate 60 by default.
  • Showing names on top of players............. in vanilla.
  • A better Trade-inn.
  • More playable characters.
  • Adventure mode.
  • No player sanity drain in Survival PvP.

I haven't done many things in DST yet, still gotta use some characters, fight some bosses and make new items and structures so I think I can't ask much before trying everything.

All I really want is a very explained lore that slowly develops, it doesn't have to give answers to every question for the love of mistery, but a story in develop that explains some stuff would be ok.

And I'm glad the lore is in progress.

Spoiler

Also: nerf Wes.

8 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

I'd care. If a new DLC was added that cost real money then it would segregate the playerbase. I personally despise multiplayer games that do this. Although I think Klei sees this already and that's why we got RoG and ANR for free in DST.

I mean I'd likely buy it anyway (because c'mon, I think all of us here love throwing our money at Klei) but I have a few friends who might not. So I'd be unable to play with them using a new DLC. And that situation just makes everyone unhappy.

Yeah, but the problem is Klei can't make free updates with new content forever...plus, I feel like with DLC we can get much bigger, more creative stuff, like SW was more unique, & creative than ANR since it was paid DLC. SW to me almost felt like a new game even.

Depend if the update attract enough news players, maybe ?

Anyway, what i would like to see...

- News biomes

- News set pieces (especially in cave)

- News monster and plants

- News recipes

- News threats (diseases ? poison ?)

- News season variations, but as i said before, it's not easy to do it well.

4 minutes ago, SuperDavid said:

Yeah, but the problem is Klei can't make free updates with new content forever...

This. Games don't get expanded if developers can't get paid to do it. Klei is not a charity, or your parents. There is nothing unreasonable about charging more for a significant amount of new content and I'd be happy to pay it. However, most of the income will still come from new players, which is  why it's important that the early game not be made any more difficult than it is. I have persuaded a few friends to try DST, and about half of them have said that they find it too challenging and/or time consuming.

The best way to expand it is to add new biomes, with new mobs and resources, like the ruins. If you choose to go there, there could be all new threats or challenges. But it's gotta be optional, because new players already can find the game overwhelming. 

It's a drag that  it's so hard to recapture of the thrill of learning to play DS for the first time, but the best way to recapture that feeling is in a new game. It's only natural that the longer you play a game the less challenging it is, because you get better at it. In DST you can prolong the fun a lot by setting new challenges for yourself. If you want winter to be harder, swear off of thermal stones. (Personally,the weather seems perfect to me as is, and tweaking it this way or that seems like a pretty boring addition.) But adding a lot of clutter and complication to what's right now a pretty great game because a few longtime players are getting tired of it makes no sense, No game can be played infinitely with the same sense of surprise and discovery you had early on.

What's implied in "What Lies Beyond" might be exploration in land of the shadows. Something we haven't even imagined yet. Though I like to imagine the world in that bauble at the gateway is similar to those surreal scenes from Final Fantasy the spirits within.

So basicly we need something like RoG - new biomes new stuff mechanics and everything . What I mean is not a new world(like SW) but an addition to the old world (surface/caves) . Or even additions to the old world + a new world but that would be too much work .

Something like RoG would be preferable to me this way the old world gets better so you have old+new content .

I would love to see some more multiplayer interactions/mechanics even charapters passive like = if you are alone you get small sanity drain if you have ppl around you , you regen sanity . Something that's specially for multiplayer ... a more clean example is the ewecuss = you can't defeat it if you are alone .

9 hours ago, Rellimarual said:

Games don't get expanded if developers can't get paid to do it.

Actually, they do, but in a more indirect way. More free content brings in players (and brings back some players too). With more players you have more people buying/selling skins. Klei gets a cut of the profits from skin sales. So the only thing Klei needs to do is sprinkle in some new content and skins every now and then.

1 hour ago, Sinister_Fang said:

Actually, they do, but in a more indirect way. More free content brings in players (and brings back some players too). With more players you have more people buying/selling skins. Klei gets a cut of the profits from skin sales. So the only thing Klei needs to do is sprinkle in some new content and skins every now and then.

But imagine the bitching from Non-PC master race players though. Oh god.

You DO know it costs $40,000 to release a patch update for XBox and Playstation?? NO AMOUNT OF ALCHEMY ENGINE SKINS SOLD WILL COVER THAT!! (Well, reasonably)

Y'know what? I'ma just link ya here, so you can see why there's so much difficulty with implementing new stuff into DST, because as we all know, once the Master Race gets it, EVERYONE else wants it too.

(*Cough Cough* Rose Skins *Cough Cough*)   <-- There's text here, just so ya know. :3

Hardmode boss variations for the older giants like we have for Toadstool nowadays.

Couple of rough ideas:

Goose/Goose with a multi-shot weather pain-styled wing flap attack. Triggered by killing a mosling in front of it perhaps?

Deerclops making the day significantly colder while he is active. Triggered by killing the entire herd of no-eyed deer during winter.

Bearger being very aggressive if the player is holding food, perhaps with a lunging variant of his shockwave slam (think something along the lines of unchained Klaus). Triggered by fighting this giant in the summer, OR denying it from eating hunger-restoring food in autumn for a whole day

No real ideas for special drops from these versions aside from maybe a blueprint for a cooling helmet apparatus. It'd be a better version of the giant ice cube headpiece minus the part where it makes you wet while you wear it.

7 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

I realize people get worked up over the prices of some skins, but find it hard to believe this can add up to any significant money. The vast majority of skins sell for less than a dollar, the "profit" is literally pennies and most players don't bother to sell or buy them. Also, in addition to the servers Lumina mentions there is an initial outlay on each style, because someone does have to draw and animate it and that person needs to get paid. The grand total of what they make on skins might just cover the costs, the idea that it's a profit center seeems silly to me. If the game were hugely popular, maybe, but it's pretty niche.

2 hours ago, Rellimarual said:

I realize people get worked up over the prices of some skins, but find it hard to believe this can add up to any significant money.

It might look small at face value, but there's a heck of a lot of skins being sold daily, so it's not too far-fetched if they're getting a decent profit on it. But without seeing the actual numbers we can't really tell one way or another. And I doubt a Klei employee would give us that info...

2 hours ago, Rellimarual said:

If the game were hugely popular, maybe, but it's pretty niche.

Well, for what it's worth, it's the 34th most played game on steam (as of writing this post). Just for reference: that's only a few places behind Skyrim. So it's more popular then you might think.

Kinda surprised me to be honest. I was expecting it somewhere on the top 100, but I thought it would be lower then top 50. Apparently it's more popular then I thought as well.

I want Intermediate Seasons. That vary in days, its becomes too predictable that Winter starts on day 21 ends on day 35, etc. It makes items like the Temperature gage obsolete. 

So for example..

It would be cool if for say you get a mandatory 20 days of Fall, then randomize a intermediate 3-10 days where weather fluctuates between Fall and Winter, then have Winter be a mandatory 15 days and so on.

Im always wanting more Biomes and regular enemies with new attack patterns.

9 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

It might look small at face value, but there's a heck of a lot of skins being sold daily, so it's not too far-fetched if they're getting a decent profit on it. But without seeing the actual numbers we can't really tell one way or another. And I doubt a Klei employee would give us that info...

Just for speculation, how many people do we think are playing DST and how many of those are buying and selling skins? The vast majority of those traded are priced under $1, so if we guesstimate an average price of $3, which seems generous, 13% of which is taken off the top by Steam, and maybe Klei gets half of that? Does anyone know? Let's say .20 USD apiece. They would need to sell a million per year to net 200K, which would need to pay for all the overhead of tech support and servers and the upfront of designers, animators, whatever. Maybe that would break even, but it's hardly a profit center, and the prices are always dropping, so unless they invest more producing new skins, that income is only going to shrink.

Everyone marvels over the pricey skins, but the most valuable one I own, a Wig Triumphant, has sold 5 in the past 24 hours, for which Klei got maybe 5 bucks.

On 7/5/2017 at 4:21 AM, minespatch said:

What's implied in "What Lies Beyond" might be exploration in land of the shadows.

This x100.

Aside from some balance changes to existing items, the bulk of new content that I would like to see would be exploring the other side of the atrium gateway. With new shadow variants of existing monsters, and at least one new character being unlocked, I would love to see some sort of Charlie related encounter (Boss fight or not It'd be cool to see her in game in one way or another.) Im not sure if this area would be yet another branch of the caves or a new "world" altogether. I could see it being technically back on the surface but far from the mainland. Maybe the map could be unusable while in the area to give the illusion of being somewhere entirely new.

Archived