Best Character to Start With for a Beginner?

Hey there everyone!

Quick questions... Who is the best player to start with? I honestly started our with Willow (I think that's her name? Crazy pyromaniac girl) and then after starting I watched a few guides and EVERYONE is saying she's trash.

So I played Wickerbottom for my second time, and I honestly don't understand how to make books. I kept searching for tutorial vids but most of them just tell you what her spells do. How in tarnations does one get them in the first place.

Anywho, like the title says... Who's the character I'd have the best chance to survive with to experience at least a full year.

Second question... Anyone know any good YouTubers I could watch who play full gameplay tutorial vids of DST? Most of the ones I found who did full gameplays were playing with friends and not once explained anything they did.

Thanks in advance ^_^

Welcome to the forums! :)

In my opinion willow is an okay character to start with, the free lighter can save you early on if you are still struggling with / forgetting about night, standing near fire will help restore sanity and bernie can save you from the shadows if you happen to get insane, which at least when I started playing happened often. The reason people say she sucks its because her mid/lategame perks are bland compared to her DS counterpart, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't learn the game with her.

Other characters I'd recommend are Wendy (jjst learn how to summon and use abigail), or if you want to go trait free, start with Wilson, who can give you an idea of what the basics of all characters are.

Regarding youtubers check liutenantVolx tutorials, or Helicalpuma. Watching twitch livestreams also help improve gameplay, and streamers are usually nice enough to explain how they did what they did, you can ask them things in the chat. Check streamers Mr Xaurus, Itsthecheapest (Im not sure if he keeps plsying dst though), Glhmrzz, or any other that is live really. The ones I mentioned above are very nice guys and very advanced players.

Wickerbottom, if you want an easy start. Wilson, if you want to get to know the basic mechanics of the game.

Tip: Press your F key to hit things. Killing mobs will make them drop items which makes survival significantly easier.

EDIT: I don't recommend Willow because she encourages players to fear insanity. Don't fear insanity. Make insanity fear you.
Willow starts freezing on low sanity, which is annoying. However, some Willow players have told me that a recent buff to Willow made her downside barely noticeable. So I guess Willow is fine, but I'd still recommend Wilson so you get a better grasp on light and sanity management.
Far too many new players rely too much on Willow's lighter and sanity recovery. Willow's lighter is quite overrated as you can just use a torch, which is cheaper and provides more light. You'll eventually use something better like a Lantern or Miner Hat anyway.
And don't try using fires to recover sanity with Willow. It takes one full minute of standing next to a max-fueled firepit to recover 10 sanity. Food from a Crock Pot will restore 5 sanity at least and 50 sanity at most, and that takes less than a second to eat.

EDIT2: Just to make something clear, I'm not saying Willow is absolutely unplayable, I'm just saying that sometimes people try to make the most out of her upsides. Willow is played very similarly to Wilson, they're not that much different. My main issue with her is how people rely on her upside so much that they make the game harder than it should be. Seriously, doing nothing but standing next to a firepit every night is boring, you don't have to do that.
I could say a few advantages like using a controller to drop hundreds of grass in one spot as a sanity station, using bernie to distract nightmares during boss fights, using large numbers of bernies to farm nightmares, and I've seen a speedrun wherein Willow's lighter was used to navigate the caves and provide light during a boss fight. Other than that, Willow's playstyle doesn't really differ too much at all from Wilson's.

6 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Welcome to the forums! :)

In my opinion willow is an okay character to start with, the free lighter can save you early on if you are still struggling with / forgetting about night, standing near fire will help restore sanity and bernie can save you from the shadows if you happen to get insane, which at least when I started playing happened often. The reason people say she sucks its because her mid/lategame perks are bland compared to her DS counterpart, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't learn the game with her.

Other characters I'd recommend are Wendy (jjst learn how to summon and use abigail), or if you want to go trait free, start with Wilson, who can give you an idea of what the basics of all characters are.

Regarding youtubers check liutenantVolx tutorials, or Helicalpuma. Watching twitch livestreams also help improve gameplay, and streamers are usually nice enough to explain how they did what they did, you can ask them things in the chat. Check streamers Mr Xaurus, Itsthecheapest (Im not sure if he keeps plsying dst though), Glhmrzz, or any other that is live really. The ones I mentioned above are very nice guys and very advanced players.

One time i played as Willow and i died constantly of sanity.

Don't play with her.

Anyone is good, but heed my words: DO NOT PICK WIGFRID.

I'm not saying she's a bad character, she's actually a great character, but I'm saying that starting with her develops horrible habits that you can't really get rid of, meaning you're actually forcing yourself to pick Wigfrid every time, as every other character would suffer trying to play like she does.

Avoid her like the plague until you know how the game works. Then pick her just to see what I mean.

Not Willow, Woodie, or Maxwell because of their character-specific sanity things. Not Wickerbottom when you aren't comfortable with the crafting tab.

Go Wilson, Wendy, Wigfrid, WX-78, Wickerbottom, Wolfgang. Then try the others.

I started playing Don't Starve Together as Webber, he can eat monstermeat with no penalty, he grows a silk beard, can farm spiders easily for food, his health/hunger is higher than Wilson, & personally I find his lower 100 sanity easier to manage staying sane than characters with higher sanity, especially when you're a beginner & picking flowers & wearing garland is the only way you know how to restore sanity :lol:.

His only con really which is being attacked by pigmen/bunnymen/catcoons isn't a really that bad, since I always ignored/killed them anyways.

So, I think Webber is the best character for beginners.

(This recommendation is based on my starting out with Don't Starve but it should still apply for DST...)

I like Wickerbottom. She fits my noob playstyle which doesn't require a lot of management. When starting with Don't Starve, I was averaging just 10-15 days with other characters, trying them as soon as they're unlocked. (I didn't know about Let's Plays or game wikis. Also see: noob) It wasn't until I unlocked Wickerbottom that I reached my first 300 day save game.

Here's why Wickerbottom is a simple start:

• No need to build a science machine right away. You can make a backpack, log suit, spear right away which makes exploring easier.
  • Reliably stable stats. Aside from being unable to sleep, there's nothing else to manage with Wickerbottom. Unlike the up/down attack stats for Wolfgang, or the smaller HP+summoning Abigail for Wendy, or the temperature management needed for Willow, or the smaller starting HP + rain problems with WX. They all have pros and cons but (just in my opinion) Wickerbottom's is easier to manage for starters.
  • High sanity. Just don't drain it really low, since she can't regain sanity by sleeping.

Things not in Wickerbottom's favor:

• She can't sleep, so if you're used to that for restoring your stats, you'll have to find other ways to heal and be sane.
  • She's a bit "useless" mid-game. You can't regrow food in Winter, and if you've got a good base going, her "walking Science Machine" powers become useless. But you can play with her other books by this time so it's not like you'll have nothing to do with her. :)

Regarding Wickerbottom's books, you don't really need them right away, so it's not a big deal if you can't make them immediately. But just in case you want to know more about them: http://dontstarve.wikia.com/wiki/Books

They always use 2 Papyrus + book-specific-ingredients. The papyrus you can make from refining 4 reeds.

=====

I think it will depend on what kind of player you are though. Try her again if we have the same playing style.

People mostly say Willow is trash because she's the traditional favorite among griefers and, compared to the original Don't Starve, a lot of her fun strategies were broken by a nerf to her fire invulnerability (she only has a few seconds of it now). She's not bad, just...not as special as she was before.

If you're learning the basics, seriously, go Wilson (the first one in the character list). No special stuff to learn, no real downsides (every other character has a downside or multiple that you have to learn to play around, in exchange for stronger upsides), and he grows a full beard by Winter, giving you some free insulation and making it easier not to freeze. He's good for learning the basics of the game.

Once you learn the basics...just try everyone. Every player has a different playstyle, so try each character and see who works best for your style.
Just be aware that if you pick Willow in multiplayer, noone will ever trust you again in your life forever.

I think I would highly recommend Wilson when just starting out. Because he has no real cons that means you're not being restricted in any way. So that means just about everything you learn will also apply to other characters as well (excluding the beard stuff anyway). I think starting out with other characters could result in a reliance on a specific perk of theirs and making using other characters more difficult. So I say you should start with Wilson, and once you feel like you've learned the basics I'd suggest trying out everyone else and learning how they work to see who you like the best.

I say Wilson. Hes the perfectly balanced character to learn all the game mechanics.

Wendy is another decent one. She's similar to Wilson but has lower damage but thats because her special ability is Abigial which can help fight with you.

Most of the other characters Id suggest not playing first otherwise you'll potentially start some bad habits when playing. 

Wickerbottom is decent.. But the only reason I dont suggest her to new players is because Ive seen plenty of times they can't handle her early game sanity. Because you already know all Science Machine prototypes it can make it harder for newer players who dont know other ways to increase sanity.

Wigfrid although a excellent fighter will challenge your ability to learn meat recipes. Potentially make you forget about all the other amazing recipes the game has to offer. 

Wolfgang like Wigfrid is a good fighter but both of them can tank alot of hits while fighting. If you start as these characters you'll never learn to kite properly. 

9 hours ago, JohnWatson said:

I don't recommend Willow because she encourages players to fear insanity. Don't fear insanity. Make insanity fear you.

This is incredibly important. Not fearing insanity and spelunking are things I wished I'd learned earlier, much earlier.

31 minutes ago, Mafiabrett said:

Wendy is another decent one. She's similar to Wilson but has lower damage but thats because her special ability is Abigial which can help fight with you.

I wouldn't recommend Wendy for newer players, especially not in DST. Not only does she reinforce to the player bad tactics, that they should fear insanity and rely solely on Abigail for all things combat (until a boss shows up,) but she's also quite weak in DST with Abigail having the same stats and most mobs receiving buffs in the form of heightened HP.

32 minutes ago, Mafiabrett said:

Wickerbottom is decent.. But the only reason I dont suggest her to new players is because Ive seen plenty of times they can't handle her early game sanity. Because you already know all Science Machine prototypes it can make it harder for newer players who dont know other ways to increase sanity.

She has 250 sanity points, and immediate access to a spear and log armour. If the player needs something other than picking flowers and prototyping to keep their sanity up early game, here's one: green caps. Common in many biomes on the surface and there's forests of them underground, they pop up in the evening and increase sanity by 15 points when cooked. This won't kill people, since many new players like to stand around at night by a fire pit anyways.

41 minutes ago, Mafiabrett said:

Wigfrid although a excellent fighter will challenge your ability to learn meat recipes. Potentially make you forget about all the other amazing recipes the game has to offer. 

The only thing you're missing out on with Wigfrid is dragonpie and the ability to live off seeds, carrots and butterflies, I cannot think of a single dish other than the aforementioned dragonpie that doesn't have a greater or equal to meat equivalent. 

47 minutes ago, Mafiabrett said:

Wolfgang like Wigfrid is a good fighter but both of them can tank alot of hits while fighting. If you start as these characters you'll never learn to kite properly. 

New players are fine to try their hand at Wolfgang, they'll probably fine themselves failing, if they haven't yet learned the game's basic mechanics. That's kinda what this whole game's thing is, learning by failing, again and again, he doesn't just teach tanking, but asks of the player to find enough food to keep him sated and to manage his forms, as they can only reap his combat benefits once the player has a grasp on this, and raid bosses aren't going to go down easily for them, still.

It's certainly more efficient in terms of resources and time (taken to gather said resources) to kite with Wolfgang and Wigfrid, don't steer players away from using these characters to discourage tanking, that, I think, underestimates the player's ability to come to the conclusion on which method is better for them.

In conclusion, Wilson is probably the best to teach you basic mechanics. When experimenting with the other characters, just remember you will need to learn the attack patterns of the mobs in this game, learn to embrace insanity (by learning the attack patterns of the mobs that appear when your sanity drops below 15%,) you should memorize the crockpot recipes for: bacon and eggs, fishsticks, honey ham, honey nuggets, meatballs, meaty stew, pierogi and spicy chili, these dishes will keep you alive, and if you have a decent computer, start spelunking sooner, rather than later.

4 hours ago, Ressayez said:

The only thing you're missing out on with Wigfrid is dragonpie and the ability to live off seeds, carrots and butterflies, I cannot think of a single dish other than the aforementioned dragonpie that doesn't have a greater or equal to meat equivalent. 

Butter muffins.  Like froggle bunwiches, but more abundant than frogs most of the year.  They're my main food source when I use Wendy.

Berries.  Just basic eat-as-you-go berries.  Nothing glamorous but dang convenient during early exploration. *shrug*

Cooked green caps, cooked blue caps, and grilled cactus flesh.  Easier to produce than jerky.  I suppose once the drying racks are up, you could just use a bunch of boomerangs, though.

Blue caps and grilled eggplant, for close to zero effort healing.  There's whole forests of mushrooms underground.

Don't get me wrong, it's fairly easy to get by with only meat... but I do notice the options I have to pass by.

As to the OP, I'd suggest Webber.  As long as they don't put the spider den too close to camp, an inexperienced Webber is always a welcome addition to the team.  The entertainment value of watching them run around chased by pigs and bunnymen cannot be overstated.

I recommend willow,

Shes a badass for one

For two she has a badass long lasting lighter its sexy

Three she gains sanity from burning HELL YEAH

Four her examination quotes are arrogance with elegance 

Five her stats are decent to manage. 120 sanity? Pfft. Good character to learn to manage it better I guess, just travel to birch biomes stockpile them green caps for the early game until got fires setup

Six I setup 6 rock campfire in a circle stand in the middle and regenerate sanity every night like a boss who cares if night standings a waste of time, gives you a chance to organise inventory and chill

Seven the teddy! Farm nightmare fuel, a backup in the ruins in nightmare cycle

Eight everyone seems to dislike her and call her low tier! Well jokes on them willows flaming with potential shes the best to learn

Nine she frezzes faster during winter. But thermal stones! And goals is summer shes a boss in summer slower overheating, dont cut yourself short with underestimation that you wont get through winter! Confidence is key

Ten you can cook food with the lighter drop it on the ground and boom cook them green caps. Cook that berries. Cook that cactus! 

Eleven players fear you! The griefing intimidation is real ;)

Twelve got a few 100 spare items you aint using, low sanity? Low health? Go get some blue caps! Spam eat them raw for health and sanity drain then Burn  dem stacks of items grass/twigs/logs boost that sanity like the fire goddess you are!

2 hours ago, TemporaryMan said:

Butter muffins.  Like froggle bunwiches, but more abundant than frogs most of the year.  They're my main food source when I use Wendy.

Berries.  Just basic eat-as-you-go berries.  Nothing glamorous but dang convenient during early exploration. *shrug*

Cooked green caps, cooked blue caps, and grilled cactus flesh.  Easier to produce than jerky.  I suppose once the drying racks are up, you could just use a bunch of boomerangs, though.

Blue caps and grilled eggplant, for close to zero effort healing.  There's whole forests of mushrooms underground.

Don't get me wrong, it's fairly easy to get by with only meat... but I do notice the options I have to pass by.

The reason I didn't mention these is because I don't consider the effort that it takes to prepare and retrieve these foods worth it in comparison to the alternatives available.

I do not often take the time to catch butterflies specifically for butter muffins, they are a pain to amass, same goes for frogs, I suppose this is one of the conveniences of playing Wendy, I no longer play her often as to not drag out fights with raid bosses and other mobs with high HP that Abigail can't help with.

Berries are fine, yes, but if you put a carrot and a berry bush beside one another, I will pick the carrot. They last longer, restore a bit more hunger, and take less time to pick. It's the reasoning behind why the alternative resources exist, grass gecko and twiggy tree farms are a lot quicker than classic resource farms.

Yes, green and blue caps are very useful for the rest of the characters, but this is not the case with Wigfrid. She walks into a spider nest, can tank every hit and comes out with more HP and sanity than she started with. I actually have a bit of trouble early game keeping her sanity down while nightmare farming.

Acknowledge the options you have, sure, but here is why I turn them down in favour of others.

8 hours ago, Ressayez said:

I do not often take the time to catch butterflies specifically for butter muffins, they are a pain to amass,

You only need the wings. And you did mention butterflies as being a downside for Wigfrid. Buttermuffins are also a fairly cheap recipe seeing as you can get away with using 2 sticks as filler.

Yea, even now, I use Butter Muffins for early health, or plain Butterfly Wings if I farm a lot. Or Butter, since my chance of getting it from them seems boosted to about 1/20 rather than 1/50.
Just have to wait until they land on a Flower, then walk up and CTRL+F to punch it. Easy Butterfly Wings.
Much easier and faster when you learn to manipulate their AI, then you can kill them mid-flight in most cases without changing your path much. Actually a really good food source for people who're nomadic for a while, looking around the world. And good even for Wigfrid early on; they can be used as filler in crockpot recipes, as long as you don't include any Veggies (which would add a chance of it producing a Butter Muffin).

Frogs are also easy to amass if you have access to a lot of Grass and Twigs, so particularly if you get a world with Grass Geckos and Twiggy Trees. Spam Grass Traps.
Same process as managing a few Spider Nests, except that Frogs are unavailable in Winter, whereas Spider Nests die in Summer.

21 hours ago, TemporaryMan said:

As to the OP, I'd suggest Webber.  As long as they don't put the spider den too close to camp, an inexperienced Webber is always a welcome addition to the team.  The entertainment value of watching them run around chased by pigs and bunnymen cannot be overstated.

The problem I have with Webber are the pigs.  Most new players don't avoid pigs, and travel in the morning (when they do travel).  I wouldn't suggest him until they are more comfortable with traveling at night.

On 7/1/2017 at 11:53 AM, JohnWatson said:

Wickerbottom, if you want an easy start. Wilson, if you want to get to know the basic mechanics of the game.

Tip: Press your F key to hit things. Killing mobs will make them drop items which makes survival significantly easier.

EDIT: I don't recommend Willow because she encourages players to fear insanity. Don't fear insanity. Make insanity fear you.
Willow starts freezing on low sanity, which is annoying. However, some Willow players have told me that a recent buff to Willow made her downside barely noticeable. So I guess Willow is fine, but I'd still recommend Wilson so you get a better grasp on light and sanity management.
Far too many new players rely too much on Willow's lighter and sanity recovery. Willow's lighter is quite overrated as you can just use a torch, which is cheaper and provides more light. You'll eventually use something better like a Lantern or Miner Hat anyway.
And don't try using fires to recover sanity with Willow. It takes one full minute of standing next to a max-fueled firepit to recover 10 sanity. Food from a Crock Pot will restore 5 sanity at least and 50 sanity at most, and that takes less than a second to eat.

EDIT2: Just to make something clear, I'm not saying Willow is absolutely unplayable, I'm just saying that sometimes people try to make the most out of her upsides. Willow is played very similarly to Wilson, they're not that much different. My main issue with her is how people rely on her upside so much that they make the game harder than it should be. Seriously, doing nothing but standing next to a firepit every night is boring, you don't have to do that.
I could say a few advantages like using a controller to drop hundreds of grass in one spot as a sanity station, using bernie to distract nightmares during boss fights, using large numbers of bernies to farm nightmares, and I've seen a speedrun wherein Willow's lighter was used to navigate the caves and provide light during a boss fight. Other than that, Willow's playstyle doesn't really differ too much at all from Wilson's.

Not Wickerbottom.  I like her and all, but new players don't do well with her.  It's a reason that most new players use Wilson and/or Willow as opposed to Wicker.  

On 7/1/2017 at 2:52 PM, SuperDavid said:

I started playing Don't Starve Together as Webber, he can eat monstermeat with no penalty, he grows a silk beard, can farm spiders easily for food, his health/hunger is higher than Wilson, & personally I find his lower 100 sanity easier to manage staying sane than characters with higher sanity, especially when you're a beginner & picking flowers & wearing garland is the only way you know how to restore sanity :lol:.

His only con really which is being attacked by pigmen/bunnymen/catcoons isn't a really that bad, since I always ignored/killed them anyways.

So, I think Webber is the best character for beginners.

New players don't ignore pigmen though, and most don't make tools to fight.  I've literally seen a new player use an ax to fight a treeguard of all things.  As basic as Wilson is, he has no downsides and is balanced.  I recommend him until you get a feel for the game.  Then it's all about your playing style after that.

On 7/1/2017 at 3:03 PM, applebottom said:

(This recommendation is based on my starting out with Don't Starve but it should still apply for DST...)

I like Wickerbottom. She fits my noob playstyle which doesn't require a lot of management. When starting with Don't Starve, I was averaging just 10-15 days with other characters, trying them as soon as they're unlocked. (I didn't know about Let's Plays or game wikis. Also see: noob) It wasn't until I unlocked Wickerbottom that I reached my first 300 day save game.

Here's why Wickerbottom is a simple start:

• No need to build a science machine right away. You can make a backpack, log suit, spear right away which makes exploring easier.
  • Reliably stable stats. Aside from being unable to sleep, there's nothing else to manage with Wickerbottom. Unlike the up/down attack stats for Wolfgang, or the smaller HP+summoning Abigail for Wendy, or the temperature management needed for Willow, or the smaller starting HP + rain problems with WX. They all have pros and cons but (just in my opinion) Wickerbottom's is easier to manage for starters.
  • High sanity. Just don't drain it really low, since she can't regain sanity by sleeping.

Things not in Wickerbottom's favor:

• She can't sleep, so if you're used to that for restoring your stats, you'll have to find other ways to heal and be sane.
  • She's a bit "useless" mid-game. You can't regrow food in Winter, and if you've got a good base going, her "walking Science Machine" powers become useless. But you can play with her other books by this time so it's not like you'll have nothing to do with her. :)

Regarding Wickerbottom's books, you don't really need them right away, so it's not a big deal if you can't make them immediately. But just in case you want to know more about them: http://dontstarve.wikia.com/wiki/Books

They always use 2 Papyrus + book-specific-ingredients. The papyrus you can make from refining 4 reeds.

=====

I think it will depend on what kind of player you are though. Try her again if we have the same playing style.

Wicker's biggest drawback is sanity.  That's not a good thing since new players don't really know much about sanity regain.  It's best to use Wilson.

2 hours ago, LuxuryHeart said:

I've literally seen a new player use an ax to fight a treeguard of all things.

Well, you have to admit you can see their logic there though. It's a living tree so you'd think a woodcutting tool would do some extra damage against it. I'll admit I was guilty of thinking that when I was still new to the game...

7 hours ago, LuxuryHeart said:

Wicker's biggest drawback is sanity.

This sentence alone makes it sound like you aren't skilled enough to understand Wickerbottom.
Wicker still has access to mushrooms, cactus flesh, tam o shanters, even ice cream. The only sanity related drawback to Wicker is that she can't sleep... Saying Wickerbottom's biggest drawback is sanity because she can't sleep is like saying that a character's biggest drawback is hunger because they can't eat corn.
Sleeping is one of the worst ways to regain sanity (up there with flower picking and hugging Glommer), so playing Wicker is actually going to help new players in the long run since they won't be able to rely on it.

7 hours ago, LuxuryHeart said:

Not Wickerbottom.  I like her and all, but new players don't do well with her.  It's a reason that most new players use Wilson and/or Willow as opposed to Wicker.  

The reason why new players pick Wilson and Willow over other characters is because of popularity. Those two characters are on every DST promotional content. Same reason for Wigfrid, why she's popular is because she's popular. Go visit DST Steam Community and you'll be sure to find loads of players who believe that Wigfrid is the absolute best and most overpowered character. Remember that the Klei forums are a very tiny fraction of the entire playerbase.

Wickerbottom is still easy mode regardless if you're skilled or not. Her sole downside is merely that she can't sleep. I'd say that's an upside actually, because she prevents the player from wasting time.

15 hours ago, Pyr0mrcow said:

>> Same process as managing a few Spider Nests, except that Frogs are unavailable in Winter, whereas Spider Nests die in Summer.

Spider nests dont die in summer, not sure where you're getting this from.

Archived