Rhymes with Play 145 - Oxygen Not Included (Update Preview)

Join us on our official Twitch Channel, where we will be previewing content that is currently being developed for the upcoming Oxygen Not Included update. As always, the stream will be going live on Thursday, June 29th at 3:30 PM Pacific (10:30 PM UTC), only on the Rhymes with Play Dev Cast.

Note: As the game is still in development, content shown in the update preview streams may change before going live on Steam Early Access. 

Where is it?
On our official Twitch channel here:
http://www.twitch.tv/kleientertainment

Times:
10:30 PM UTC (Coordinated Universal Time)
6:30 PM ET (East)
5:30 PM CT (Central)
4:30 PM MT (Mountain)

When is it?
Thursday, June 29th 3:30 PM Pacific (10:30 PM UTC). Here's a handy tool to figure out what time that means for you:
http://www.worldtimebuddy.com

29 minutes ago, JanH said:

When is it?
Thursday, June 29th 3:30 PM Pacific (10:30 PM UTC). Here's a handy tool to figure out what time that means for you:
http://www.worldtimebuddy.com

I would like to suggest switching to this tool:

https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedform.html

It allows you to create tailored links for each event, such as this one:

Rhymes with Play 145

(at least I hope I entered all values correctly wink.gif

Summary of what the stream showed about the update:

New Content:

Two new overlays: Disease and Farming

Disease

• Disease is revamped; all old diseases are gone
  • Dirty activities (e.g. using toilets) will produce germs, which can spread across tiles, buildings, and duplicants
  • Currently the only disease is food poisoning, but others will be added
  • The "Medicine" skill has been split into "Immunity" and "Medicine"-- no detail on this, but my guess is Immunity makes duplicants less likely to get diseases, and Medicine affects activities that remove disease
  • Hand sanitizers remove germs, and dupes will use hand sanitizers after using toilets
  • Heating water (with a tepidizer) can kill the germs in it

Farming

• Farming overlay gives more details about plants growth. It shows a meter for each plant, which shows growth progress, and icons indicating missing conditions (like no fertilizer)
  • The plant info panel now shows more clearly which conditions are met and the existing supplies for each.
  • Plants now require certain atmosphere (like CO2) and lighting conditions (light or dark).
  • The harvest yield system is gone (not much detail on how it's handled now-- maybe all conditions must be met, and plants always give seeds?)

New plants

• We saw Mushrooms, which grow in CO2, and don't like light
  • Swamp Lilies were also visible on the edge. They may have medicinal applications (not stated in stream, but hinted in files)

New building

• Water bottling station: duplicants no longer take water directly. You must build a bottling station dipping into the water. This gives you control over where duplicants take water.

Derelicts

• You will find small partial abandoned bases in the world.

Tweaks:

• Printing Pod now has a meter on it so you can see progress towards the next duplicant
  • Prioritization now has hotkeys, and you can prioritize more things (valves, deconstruction)
  • We can manually type the thresholds on switches/generators, etc
  • Duplicants now actually consume polluted oxygen
  • Worldgen has been worked on, biomes should now have more interesting boundaries
  • Consumables menu only shows food that's been discovered
  • Consumables menu shows coloring based on how food compares to food quality expectations
  • Pipes now more clearly show partial packets (smaller balls) moving through when the pipe is backed up
  • Duplicants should handle tasks in the same location a little better. When a duplicant finishes a task, they may take a task in the area away from a farther-away duplicant coming to do the task. For example, you have an area to dig, and before one duplicant would come to dig, then sometimes leave after they finished that one tile, because the other tile had a duplicant already coming to dig. Now the first duplicant will steal that task away, reducing how much they run around.

If you missed the update preview live stream, you can check out the video-on-demand replay on Twitch now.

Note: As the game is still in development, content shown in the update preview streams may change before going live on Steam Early Access. 

Watch live video from KleiEntertainment on www.twitch.tv

Be sure to check out the Rhymes With Play Dev Cast on Twitch every Thursday at 3:30 PM (Pacific)! 

A special thanks to @ImpactedTooth, @Kooez, @kyoungi, @The Noon Fish, and @NightWonder7 (from our community forums) as well as @MelodyFSoul1, @ConradZimmerman, Alina_Vishek, Gobi-The-Dog, Shasta for sharing their fan art with us.

48 minutes ago, rezecib said:

• Water bottling station: duplicants no longer take water directly. You must build a bottling station dipping into the water. This gives you control over where duplicants take water.
  • Prioritization now has hotkeys
  • We can manually type the thresholds on switches/generators, etc

Best ever! <3

6 hours ago, rezecib said:

New building

Unfortunately also takes away the versatility. Only one Dupe pulling water at a time per station, the stations are humongous so you can't make little sinks in the base beside the stuff that'll use water. Not that I can't see a reason for this idea, I just hope this wasn't a forced solution to Dupes fetching water at the wrong places, because that was never a problem.

Hope that at least we can stockpile water bottles ahead of time.

1 hour ago, Komi Neko said:

Unfortunately also takes away the versatility. Only one Dupe pulling water at a time per station, the stations are humongous so you can't make little sinks in the base beside the stuff that'll use water. Not that I can't see a reason for this idea, I just hope this wasn't a forced solution to Dupes fetching water at the wrong places, because that was never a problem.

I'd assume the change was made so dupes stop stealing water from systems passively using it,
such as terrariums, air locks, machine cooling, aqua farms, and so on.

1 hour ago, Komi Neko said:

You also never know, maybe they will add sink building in future, so you can put it in your kitchen and connect via pipes, so your dupes can use it for cooking purpose :)

Sinks also help to prevent dupes from getting water from polluted sources with the new disease system come into play. But I have one question though, If my water tank broke and flood my base, how can i get water from the floor? Do i have to dig my base to drain the water out?

9 minutes ago, Risu said:

I'd assume the change was made so dupes stop stealing water from systems passively using it,
such as terrariums, air locks, machine cooling, aqua farms, and so on.

Point taken, suppose till this moment I hadn't worked with some of these ideas. (Though I hadn't quite grasped the terrarium thing until some earlier post, so that's going to change)

8 minutes ago, O.n.y said:

You also never know, maybe they will add sink building in future, so you can put it in your kitchen and connect via pipes, so your dupes can use it for cooking purpose :)

I'd be kind of OK with this!

I mean, I'll find way to make this work, just means I use a pond instead of a sink, but I guess it was mostly the size of the building that surprised me.

Archived