Day 900+ DST Megabase (no mods)

aQMyQqf.jpg

Welcome to our DST megabase. The base was built by me (Willow), @plizeee (Maxwell) and @Splorange (Wolfgang), with the occasional help of @Sketched_Philo (Wendy), @AnonymousKoala (Wickerbottom), @Michi01 (Wilson) and @Maslak (WX-78). The base covers the whole oasis biome, so that during summer the sandstorm protects it from wildfires. Not only that, the desert biome barely has anything unremovable and world regrowth doesn’t really happen here.

Spoiler

KcIo6AV.jpg

This is the crafting area, which is where we prototype stuff, even if at this point there isn’t much left to prototype. Fun fact: the trinkets around the potter’s wheel were the last thing missing to finish the base and they took us more than a hundred days to get.

Spoiler

0aPJA4D.jpg

k2Nn7Pp.jpg

This is the storage area, where we keep most of our resources. Chests are marked with mini signs to find the items we need easily. The houndius guards the more valuable resources, but it’s there just for decoration.

Spoiler

IZvsxwb.jpg

This is where we temporarily keep tamed beefalos. Their pens are going to be built in our secondary base later on. So far we only have a rider beefalo with the glossamer saddle to carry heavy items, but we’ll probably tame 2 more.

Spoiler

t5LzYH8.jpg

This is where we cook food. We don’t really use the crock pots, our main food source is honey.

Spoiler

6B6N1rd.jpg

GlYrbLB.jpg

Here is where we keep our 2 volt goat herds. Volt goats are a good source of meat, but what is really useful for us is the horns, to craft weather pains or the occasional morning star.

Spoiler

McawIA0.jpg

This is our source of sanity. Thanks to the bee queen crown, the negative sanity aura from the evil flowers is turned positive, but only half as effective. It’s an incredibly fast way of gaining sanity and after gathering all resources needed to build it, it doesn’t cost anything to use. You need a Wendy to be able to get the evil flowers so close to each other though. The werepig statues were made by teleporting a werepig from the moon stone event after the event ends.

Spoiler

ZpbgWRB.jpg

This is where the antlion spawns every summer, exactly in the center. The area is empty so that his attacks won’t break anything while we fight him. We kill him every summer, to prevent sinkholes and cave-ins from ruining our base.

Spoiler

DOZHPT2.jpg

These are our drying racks. We never use them, but the option is there.

Spoiler

2F2S3CB.jpg

Here are our pigmen and bunnymen villages, in case we need meat, carrots or pig skin. The animals are attracted to the food on the ground, making it so they’ll stay out of their homes during any time of the day and werepigs won’t attack the walls.

Spoiler

xAJSU6D.jpg

Berry bushes. We got those 4 juicy berry bushes from the caves and we won't be able to get more since we're playing survival, which means they don't regrow. The powdercake in the center is for attracting gobblers, but we never harvest berries anyway.

Spoiler

KSQaraz.jpg

Farms. We don't use these either.

Spoiler

whatXRn.jpg

Mushroom planters. We use these sometimes, only for blue caps for health though.

Spoiler

ujm4OPT.jpg

Twigs farm. Yes, disease is disabled. By planting a lureplant in the center, eyeplants will grow and automatically harvest the saplings, storing them in the lureplant. We then use Applied Horticulture to instantly regrow the saplings so that the eyeplants can harvest them again. After a few books we kill the lureplant to get our twigs. With 2 books we usually get about 12 stacks of twigs.

Spoiler

vNlf6Jk.jpg

Grass farm. Same as the twigs farm. It should be noted that only players can spawn gekkos from harvesting grass, so using a lureplant will make it so you never get gekkos.

Spoiler

J0fpsrL.jpg

Some scarecrows to get canaries. We let the canaries get poisoned in a bird cage in the caves, then we release them on the surface to get 5-6 feathers. We sometimes use electric darts to kill the big tentacles to get to the Atrium, since the tentacles are always wet. A character with a default damage multiplier only needs 5 darts to kill one.

Spoiler

1PGQ3V6.jpg

This is where our Maxwell plants pinecones and farms wood.

Spoiler

EAPlRAp.jpg

eEVDAus.jpg

We didn't know what to do with this empty space, so we made a beach.

Spoiler

ku9tpdi.jpg

We had to get rid of most cacti to be able to build all over the desert, so we decided to keep some in an area.

Spoiler

fJBkP6i.jpg

This is where we keep armor/clothing and where we refuel our lanters/miner hats/moggles.

Spoiler

Lh7KFQE.jpg

This is our main food source. We harvest the bee boxes during summer, because thanks to the longer days, bees gather honey better. We didn’t have enough honeycombs for this at first, so we had to kill the bee queen many, many times. This was also built on top of a clockwork set piece, as can be seen from the maxwell statue and marble trees.

Spoiler

1RInxDi.jpg

Here are some additional chests, exclusively for turf. Most turfs are non-renewable, so I don’t want to burn it to get rid of it.

Spoiler

hzWLEAL.jpg

More turf chests. This time all turfs in the game (except cobblestones) in order of priority (from left to right, starting at the bottom).

Spoiler

MsywCYb.jpg

The stone walls show where the sandstorm stops, so that we don’t go outside during summer. The wormhole is where we go when hounds attack. Since wormholes can never spawn inside the oasis biome, the area past the grass walls isn’t actually protected, but thanks to the flingomatic and the lureplants, since they have wildfire priority, the wormhole is also safe.

Spoiler

mHc2hBn.jpg

This is our protection against hound attacks. The hounds will spawn outside, they’ll be blocked by the statues and the houndius shootius will take care of them. The fossils work as unbreakable doors. We'll probably keep adding more houndius, but we have to kill the ancient fuelweaver each time we want another one, so that the ruins reset and the ancient guardian respawns.

Spoiler

ooXgZk9.jpg

Lastly, this is where we kill the bee queen. We cheese her with tentacles, since fighting her normally isn’t fun and we needed a way to kill her as often as possible at any time. The walls make it so tentacles don't spawn on them when using On Tentacles.

That's it for now, we're planning to build more stuff in the other desert. I'll post more pictures as soon it's all done.

24 minutes ago, t1morino88eex said:

Awesome! One question: in the last screenshot with the beequeen, where does wickerbottom stand when reading the on tentacle book? Are there any chances of tentacles spawning outside the walls?

I believe the tentacles are meant to spawn outside the walls.

26 minutes ago, t1morino88eex said:

Awesome! One question: in the last screenshot with the beequeen, where does wickerbottom stand when reading the on tentacle book? Are there any chances of tentacles spawning outside the walls?

In the middle of the walls, a bit closer to the center. The tentacles will always spawn in the center. I prefer it this way compared to having tentacles on the border of the walls because this way more tentacles will attack the bee queen.

17 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

Looks awesome!  You say you survive off of honey only?  Do you just eat honey straight?  Is it because honey has such a long parish timer?

Yeah, I eat honey directly, no cooking it in the crock pot or anything. It's because it's really easy to get a ton of it from bee boxes with minimal effort (after building the boxes and planting the flowers). The long perish times means I can always carry a stack and never worry about spoilage. I bundle most of the honey I harvest during summer so it lasts throughout a year or longer.

Great tip ^_^ thx

I've always been a fan of bee boxes.  I think they're cool.  They don't fit well into many crock pot recipes though, so they get pushed off.  This gives me a good reason to go build a dozen of them now haha XD

This is amazing! Great work! :) I'd had a few questions about it: 

How long did it take to build this base?

Is the honey enough for all of you through whole winter? 

And how do you farm reeds? For all those books and darts you need them regularly, right? After building such a good base, I don't think you run the whole swamp every few days.

1 hour ago, fimmatek said:

How long did it take to build this base?

As said in the title, about 900 days.

Is the honey enough for all of you through whole winter? 

Not just winter, but the whole year or more. We only harvest during summer (rarely during other seasons) and bundle most of it. Only 3-4 of us really played in the base, so we don't need that much food.

And how do you farm reeds? For all those books and darts you need them regularly, right? After building such a good base, I don't think you run the whole swamp every few days.

We farm reeds like with the twigs/grass, since we have a reed trap.

15 minutes ago, defleshed2 said:

bcuz thats pretty dam rare if you got it the first go.

without mods (as stated) it's not too rare to find actually, you can check if pretty quickly when at the start of new world (somewhy doing c_gonext("reeds") leads you to trap, i think because it spawns before regular ones) (and you can even do c_reset if you don't want your glimpse of map opened and invite rest of party)

my questions are: so you don't mind wearing goggles for entire 15 days of sandstormy summer, right?

how far you run away from deerclops?

where are the underground bases? or is it just a row of bird cages at exit and some chests in ruins?

1 hour ago, brbrmensch said:

my questions are: so you don't mind wearing goggles for entire 15 days of sandstormy summer, right?

It's kinda annoying because the sandstorm visual effect doesn't completely disappear, but I think it's totally worth it not having to manage a ton of flingos.

how far you run away from deerclops?

We usually go at the entrance of the triple mactusk biome.

where are the underground bases? or is it just a row of bird cages at exit and some chests in ruins?

No underground base for now, I don't really like building underground. All we have is about 16 bird cages at the entrance and 3 lazy deserters (one at entrance, one at the atrium gate, one at an ancient pseudoscience station). We don't need chests in the ruins, we can fully raid the ruins in one go with 3 players (mine all statues, hammer all broken clockworks and pseudoscience stations, kill all damaged clockworks, kill ancient guardian, loot all chests and get items from all the cave holes).

10 hours ago, Aeschwutz said:

I'm imagining that I hosted that server, my PC would kill itself.

Yeah... During the spring it can become laggy if near all the bees at once (only happened once or twice). Usually most of the lag occurs from the actual players because I host the server on my machine and people live like across the world, so high ping is to expected (which is why lots of players were only able to play occasionally [sorry koala, mush & sketch]). But yeah, I run the server as dedicated (typically minimizes lag over client hosted) and the PC running the server is fairly beastly for the purpose of running the server 24/7 and being able keep up with multiple players at once.

Very nice base and tactic explanations :)

I may be a bit late, but would you mind explaining a few things please:

• Is it still possible to create a sanity station like yours now ? I tried to put a bunch of Abigail flowers next to each others but they wouldn't turn into regular flowers.
  • How do you keep your shroom lights up all the time ? I never build one but I think they need some kind of fuel to work ?
  • Do you need to be close to the beebox or visit them frequently in order to have more honey ? My beeboxes usually only produce 1 or 2 honey per box/day.
  • Do you "charge" your volt goats before killing them ? 

Edit: one more question

11 hours ago, Alarsin said:

How does this lureplant-flingomatic thing work? I assume, the lureplant has the highest priority of smoldering during summer?

The base is located in the oasis so there is no smoldering in summer I think ?

20 hours ago, Alarsin said:

How does this lureplant-flingomatic thing work? I assume, the lureplant has the highest priority of smoldering during summer?

Yes it has smolder priority, so the flingo will put it out when it catches fire on emergency mode, or someone turns it on while it is smoldering.

On 7/31/2017 at 3:38 PM, Alarsin said:

The lureplant has smoldering priority. It will catch wildfire before other things do.

To explain it a bit more, smoldering happens only to things around you by a certain radius (6 tiles I believe). If a lureplant happens to be in that circle when the game tries to make something smolder, the lureplant will smolder instead. This means that while lureplants can define a "wildfire-free standing zone", it will not guarantee your base will not catch fire out of summer heat. If the game makes a fire happen while the lureplant isn't in the radius, it might make something else catch fire, possibly a part of your base if you happen to be leaving it while a fire is about to happen.

On 8/3/2017 at 0:31 PM, cookiepersonofdoom said:

What is this? is part of a mod or something b/c I dont reminber see it before but I have not played the game in a long time so...

what.PNG

That is a petrified flower form the moon alter set piece.,

7 hours ago, JellyUltra said:

Those are broken moonrock walls. The moonSTONE is nowhere near the goat pen, and flowers can't be telelocated, so there'd be no way to get them there.

Nah, I checked in-game, those aren't what broken moonrock walls look like. It's something moonrock related though...

Archived