Net cooling

On 6/23/2017 at 3:49 PM, Kasuha said:

The problem is, there is, say 1 kg of hydrogen at -200 C, and 5 kg of pipe at 0 C. The simulator behaves as if there's just one gram of hydrogen in calculating the heat difference - how much energy it takes from 1 g of hydrogen to exchange heat with 5 kg of pipe. Well, it's pretty small amount of energy. And it then draws this amount of energy from that 1 kg. That's why the heat exchange in pipes is so slow.

Does that make it better to run low masses of hydrogen thru pipes for radiator style cooling? i remember seeing a previous post that suggested thermoregulators take into account the mass of the gas running thru it, so wouldnt they heat up less if you're only feeding a small amount thru and still cool the pipes by the same amount?

26 minutes ago, Townkill said:

Does that make it better to run low masses of hydrogen thru pipes for radiator style cooling?

No. The effect just limits the amount of heat that can be transferred per second. It does not affect heat contents or thermal inertia of the medium you use. If you send 1 g packet of hydrogen to the pipe, it will exchange all its heat in first pipe segment and then it will be useless.

3 hours ago, Kasuha said:

No. The effect just limits the amount of heat that can be transferred per second. It does not affect heat contents or thermal inertia of the medium you use. If you send 1 g packet of hydrogen to the pipe, it will exchange all its heat in first pipe segment and then it will be useless.

I was thinking for smaller applications, more like 250g/s over 40 pipe segments - like that you might still get about the same amount of cooling but thermal reg might not overheat as fast since its processing smaller packets

Running 250g packets through them makes them 4x as expensive in terms of power per heat transferred. If you're not running them near overheat temperatures, it's better to send them 1/4th the amount of full packets.

You can use a packet combiner to combine smaller packets from pumps into larger ones, and also reduce the amount of packets coming through the line:

so i just read from beginning.  wanted to post this in a new thread but i think this applies here.  didn't really understand much of what i read.

anyways - is this taking advantage of a bug? it pretty rapidly cools water (either dirty or clean). asking cuz i have only some idea what all of the various bugs are in the game

http://imgur.com/a/4Y2f3

edit: so i remember reading what Kasuha said were the various bugs.  noticed my system pumps the colder water to a different chamber for storage - but the vents are up high and drip them down into the body of water.  that's the drip cooling bug?  besides that - the water is still colder than when it started.  much colder.  i put the vents up top cuz i assumed that if i put them on the bottom that eventually they would overpressurize trying to pump water into full water tiles...  but i haven't tried that out

On 19. 7. 2017 at 8:22 AM, bopeep8hersheep said:

anyways - is this taking advantage of a bug?

If a tile of 800 kg of polluted water cools almost instantly then yes, there's a bug involved. I'm not sure about all ways the "water drip cooling" can be encountered but in your case the tile that actually touches the cold wall tile above it contains just a few grams of water, it cools very fast since there's very little liquid in it with very low total heat capacity, but the whole column of water tiles below it goes along and that's a bug.

On 6/20/2017 at 9:01 AM, rezecib said:

The main source of heat outside of that are geysers. Steam geysers can essentially be stopped from producing significant heat by pumping their water in abyssalite pipes directly to source which consume it, essentially destroying the heat. Natural Gas Geysers only produce 100g/s of gas at an average of 99.55C, which let's just say you actually need to cool it all (instead of mostly destroying the heat by using it in generators) to a comfortable 25C... (99.55C - 25C)*(K/C)*(100g/s)(2.191 J/gK) = 16334 J/s < 16.4 kW. So a little more than one and a quarter Wheezeworts per geyser. Let's say you're lucky and get 10 natural gas geysers, you need 14 Wheezeworts for that.

My map does not appear to have any NG geysers.  However, I do have a ton of of steam geysers -- four within sight of my starting location.  Because of that, I was having issues with heat right from the start.  My first project, after I got my oxygen situation handled, was to curtail the heat.  Initially I simply put abyssalite around the geyser, but eventually the room became warm enough that steam no longer condensed back to water and the pump ran dry around cycle 150 or so.  

My second design was using wheezeworts on granite above the geyser.  This solved the 'too hot to condense steam' issue, but was still letting far too much heat into my base.

Then I found that its possible to exploit the various devices to remove geyser heat from the equation.  Polluted water comes out of air scrubbers at about 38C.  Water from toilets and showers ___.   Fertilizer Makers -- the only way I can run a NG generator -- don't care what temperature the water comes in at.  So I started piping the polluted water in granite pipes through the geyser room, then into abyssalite pipes to my fertilizer makers.  This brought the room back down to the point where steam would condense into water rapidly enough to avoid over-pressure without letting heat bleed into my base.  For a bit extra cooling, the NG produced by the fertilizer makers is also pumped through the room before being sent to my generators.

water geyser.JPG

water geyser2.JPG

Archived