Why is it so godamn hard to find a mod that just makes beefalo infinitely ridable?

As far as I understand the beefalo domestication mechanic is conundrum of bollocks right now, and while there are a few mods in the workshop that are meant to make the domestication (or tendency or whatever the heck the system is) process easier they either don't work or crash the game. 

There's a mod that is meant to stop domestication loss but the description is confusing (see latest comment by Bucketsmith) and does not seem to be working as it says. There's a mod for infinite saddles that again does not seem to work. There's Rezecib Rebalance which while it makes the whole bloody domestication process a bit more understandable you still can't ride your beefalo infinitely and get to that point in a sane manner.

No matter which mod I have tried I never got to simply have a beefalo and somehow not get dismounted by it. After over 1.5k hours of dst I haven't been able to enjoy or get even 5 minutes of the beefalo riding feature for it is simply put stupidly thought out. And to put that to the side for some reason it's made in such a way that it seems impossible to mod it in such a way as to lose the unneeded 20 in game days of sitting by your beefalo ass only to be able to ride it for a few minutes afterwards.

I got to the point where I reach a very late phase of the game and I'd be willing to just give 10 deerclop eyeballs to a beefalo to be able to ride it infinitely and not get dismounted after 10 minutes. Just have a freaking beefalo that's domesticated forever and not dismount me cause I cannot even keep track of some hidden domestication points, or tendency or hunger. I swear it's one of the least gratifying feature at the moment and I find it extremely annoying to have to ignore it not because it is difficult to get to the end of it but because it's extremely boring and non rewarding for the effort and time put into it.

tl;dr KLEI can you revise the beefalo domestication or can you make it in such a way that someone from the modding community can make a mod that just gets rid of the whole domestication points and decaying and hunger and just get a simple everlasting domesticated beefalo? Let it be the same feeding and taking care of it process I don't mind, just make the bloody domesticated beefalo last forever as far as riding goes at the end of it and just have a salt lick to keep it in place and not wander off, while not needing to brush it or feed it or whatever.

Edited by t1morino88eex

there's a command for spawning a domesticated beefalo on a wiki:

local beef = c_spawn("beefalo"); beef.components.hunger:DoDelta(400); beef.components.domesticatable:DeltaTendency("DEFAULT", 1); beef:SetTendency(); beef.components.domesticatable.domestication = 1; beef.components.domesticatable:BecomeDomesticated();

To change tendency replace DEFAULT with one of the following. "RIDER", "ORNERY", "PUDGY"

hope, you can craft\spawn needed saddle and ride for a solid 13 minutes, like on every other fully domesticated stinky piece of meat

for one there is no need for anyone to be riding a beef for the max amount of ride time. and besides it resets the timer when you get off and on.

if you actually cared about your beefalo alot of these factors you mentioned wouldn't even matter.

here is the thing people tend to make beefalos for the novelty of it rather than its actual use. for any other character other than wendy or wes a beef would only be used for transport.

also i would really like to know what you are doing for more than 12 minutes on a beef since you cant do normal resource or base stuff  i could see some one fighting for that long but thats rare cause i even soloed df on my beef while waiting out the enrage cycles and he never bucked me off. @t1morino88eex

Edited by EsaiXD

I haven't gotten around to bothering with domesticating beefs...  Everything I read about it makes it seem like a long and boring process with little reward.  I just added the Hot Coffee! mod which gives me tons of mobility without bothering with beefs.  win/win

It would be cool if Klei toned back on some of the "babysitting" features of the game and focused on more active aspects.  Domestication and Disease are horrible, as are summer fires.  They don't add difficulty to the game, just tediousness.  The Antlion is a better summer problem than random fires.  If they turned him up, and turned fires off, we'd be fine.  I switched to twiggy trees and I'm trying to do a grass gekko farm just to avoid disease.  Grass gekko farm isn't that easy to start either... but I just need to get away from disease.  I miss replanting turf to grow grass, and kinda wish they had just kept that mechanic.  Berries were okay before but with disease I don't bother moving them to base anymore.

5 hours ago, Rellimarual said:

One workaround could be an inexhaustible salt lick. I don't really understand the beefalo system, but isn't a saltlick the only thing you need to keep them tame once you've tamed them?

Freaking saltlicks.. Those things are expensive bro! 2 tamed beef consume at least 1 every 10 days.

And you still need to feed them a twig/grass every 2 days if you dont ride them.

Edited by csc_unit

Makes me think, couple days ago I went on a death streak in the ruins. When I came back my 2 beef were untamed (sad day) :'( And because I had about 40 dragonpies and 40 jams in a bundle, I started redomesticating them both right away. Damn its a lot of work. Domesticating 2 beef at the same time might be one of the toughest challenge of the game imo. A challenge which is not a fight, which is good! 

I'd very much like to see Joeshmocoolstuff domesticate all 3 tendency at the same time starting from nothing (no bundle wrap). 

Edited by csc_unit

8 hours ago, t1morino88eex said:

There are structures in the game completely useless such as the Rainometer and Thermal Measurer, yet there's no logic and decent way to see the info behind the beefalo domestication. :cower:

The mod "beefalo information" is quite indispensable I admit. 

local TUNING = GLOBAL.TUNING

-- no domestication decay
TUNING.BEEFALO_DOMESTICATION_LOSE_DOMESTICATION = 0

-- no domestication loss on overfeed
TUNING.BEEFALO_DOMESTICATION_OVERFEED_DOMESTICATION = 0

-- no domestication loss on player attack
TUNING.BEEFALO_DOMESTICATION_ATTACKED_BY_PLAYER_DOMESTICATION = 0

-- you dont have to give ornery beef one stick every time you want a ride
TUNING.BEEFALO_MIN_BUCK_OBEDIENCE = 0.4

local require = GLOBAL.require

local rideable = require("components/rideable")

local _Buck = rideable.Buck

-- never tossed down when beefalo is domesticated
rideable.Buck = function(self, gentle)
	local dom = self.inst.components.domesticatable
	if dom and dom:IsDomesticated() then
		return
	end
	return _Buck(self, gentle)
end

The salt lick situation was really awful some patches ago, where the beef weren't properly licking them during certain circumnstances (sleeping, or unloaded) and losing domestication no matter what.

Right now the race condition still exists (getting salted vs getting the decay): a beef might lose domestication while standing near a salt lick, and you can test it on your own too. But it's not as awful as it was.

As long as I know that beefalo might lose domestication while near a salt lick, I will never be comfortable domesticating them.

6 hours ago, mathem99 said:

There IS a mod that makes you ride your Beefalo infinitely...

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=596438350&searchtext=Ride

But, to be honest, I think the process of domesticating a Beefalo is fun, challenging sure, but fun.

I have seen worlds which have Winter & Summer set to the shortest length, less monsters, more resources and preys, along with mods that just make Don't Starve Together feel extremely easy. Makes me wonder if they are even playing Don't Starve Together anymore...

Glad to see I'm not the only one. I too have never gotten around to taming a beefalo, mainly for the same reasons listed above--time and resource consumption + the chance you might lose all your work even after you DID do everything right.  

Also the easiest things to feed them are grass and twigs...but I needs my grass and twigs. For crafting. And emergency campfires/torches if I'm travelling away from base overnight.  And in both winter AND summer, they become way less available.  (Dragonfruit pies?  AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAright.  Even as Wigfrid I wouldn't.  I save those in the fridge for other players!)

I mean, I like game-systems that make you really decide and the choice isn't immediately obvious--there's a case both for (and against!) both sides--in DST it's between: do I  use this for me now, or give it to the beef for a possible future advantage?  BUT, considering domestication isn't permanent and you have to babysit the damn thing, vs., say, a drying rack will stay there forever unless it burns or gets smashed down...I'll use those nine grass pieces for the rack, thankyouverymuch.

Nothing against people who DO domesticate beefalo on a regular basis--I'd honestly like to try it someday! but...it also looks annoying.

...Notorious

Edited by CaptainChaotica

On 6/22/2017 at 0:57 PM, CaptainChaotica said:

Glad to see I'm not the only one. I too have never gotten around to taming a beefalo, mainly for the same reasons listed above--time and resource consumption + the chance you might lose all your work even after you DID do everything right.  

Also the easiest things to feed them are grass and twigs...but I needs my grass and twigs. For crafting. And emergency campfires/torches if I'm travelling away from base overnight.  And in both winter AND summer, they become way less available.  (Dragonfruit pies?  AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAright.  Even as Wigfrid I wouldn't.  I save those in the fridge for other players!)

I mean, I like game-systems that make you really decide and the choice isn't immediately obvious--there's a case both for (and against!) both sides--in DST it's between: do I  use this for me now, or give it to the beef for a possible future advantage?  BUT, considering domestication isn't permanent and you have to babysit the damn thing, vs., say, a drying rack will stay there forever unless it burns or gets smashed down...I'll use those nine grass pieces for the rack, thankyouverymuch.

Nothing against people who DO domesticate beefalo on a regular basis--I'd honestly like to try it someday! but...it also looks annoying.

...Notorious

That's exactly how I feel.  I really do want to tame a beef, but I don't have buckets of grass / twiggs to spare, or dfruit either.  I don't have a season to just sit around taming, and I don't want to worry about it being lost if I dive into the caves for spring / summer.

I wonder if taming will receive any tweaks to make it more attractive or if they only intend it for the 500+ day worlds like some kind of "base builder end game" content.