Best way to get meat while starting? (Wigfrid)

Monster meat from spiders? You get +2 sanity when you fight.

Can also try to find catcoons, frogs and moleworms and kill them for their meat.

Maybe have a small base in the Deciduous Forest Biome so because catcoons respawn 8 out of 9 times when you kill them once every 4 days. http://dontstarve.wikia.com/wiki/Hollow_Stump

If you have killed a catcoon from a Hollow Stump 9 times then you have to wait 15 to 40 days before they spawn again.

Tallbirds are alright if you're good at dodging them.  You'll probably visit the mosaic biome to get early gold anyway.

Hunts are more likely to find koalefants and less likely to find vargs and ewecus during those early days.

Pigs and werepigs work too.  You'll want pig skin for an umbrella anyway.

Beefalo are an option, if you can get one isolated.

Catcoons will come back in spring, so you don't have to worry too much about driving them extinct.

Moles are easy to lure and kill, but they're not worth much without a crock pot.

Batilisks die with one hit.  I usually try to find the cave entrances early to look for shortcuts and make a lantern, and fighting bats is an easy way to recover some sanity.

And if all else fails, you can get away with eating cooked monster meat for a while.  It only has to keep you going until you have a crock pot, which shouldn't be long.

You're on the forums, everyone's going to act like meat is hard to get and combat is too risky and you're better off playing Wendy and using dragonfruit farms.

But honestly? You're Wigfrid, you've got built in armor and a damage multiplier, beat the 7RWvnMF.png out of everything. All the stuff up on that list? Kill all of it. Try to kite it, but if you just can't figure it out then hold F and tank it. You're Wigfrid, the queen of tanking, just craft a ton of helmets and you'll be fine.

Rabbits are easy meat. You can kill them just by attacking while standing between them and their rabbit holes.

Since Wig gains sanity and health by fighting, monster meat might be a solution. 

Also, footprints are basically everywhere in DST, so that could be a good source of meat on early game.

My friend was trying Wigfrid for the first time yesterday and we found some desperate ways of getting meat.

The most desperate you can get is spiders. When all else fails, kill some and you can eat the meat. NOTE: at the very least cook it even if you're starving; it'll do 17 less damage but still drain 10 sanity.

For less desperate measures, if you can find a pond area, kill the frogs and if you got silk, fish. That'll last you a bit. Other small meat sources include moles and bunnies for morsels too.

Tallbirds. Practice kiting these guys, and with your starting gear you should take them out fairly easily. Not only do you reap 2 pieces of meat, you can also cook their egg and eat it for additional hunger.

Koalephants. This should go without saying, since you can get a whopping 8 meat and even eat their trunk. After a few you'll learn how to kite them without any damage. After the initial hit, just dodge its attack, then run back and whale it about 5 times before dodging again, then repeat.

EDIT: to add to this point, since you also cannot turn to butterflies for easily regaining lost HP, koalefant trunks are your best source of HP in early game, restoring 40 health when cooked. Or you could farm some spiders and get some glands too for 8 health each, though it won't reap you the 8 edible meat.

Additional tip: we were traveling in the desert when my friend ran out of meat again and only had monster meat left. In this scenario, put monster meat or even seeds on the ground and wait for a vulture to fly down, then kill it for morsels or drumsticks. It won't fly away because it's trying to eat, but will fight back. Check your map for areas where vultures may be. Don't pick up the lure immediately because there may be more in the area.

Happy Wigfrigging!

Laze around in the swamp. Half the time you don't need to do anything, and you always get heaps of fish, frog legs, monster meat, spider drops, and occasionally a tentacle spike or spot. If you're Wigfrid, standing on a tentacle won't damage you as much as other characters, and you can assist the monsters in killing each other with your free starting weapon. :)

Seriously though, as Wigfrid spiders are your best friend. Good to have at least one nest near your base whether it's your main food source or not, easy to kite and her ability gives you a lot of health/sanity from attacking them.
TBH that's how I got so into cave bases in the first place. Put nest near enough to base that they wander in, and the sanity regen from killing them completely negates cave sanity loss. Free food, too.

Kill a bunch of spiders in the spider forest, and feed the monster meat to the pigs who live there (for whatever reason -- who wants to live in a spider-infested forest?) and turn them into werepigs who drop 2 meats and the pig skins you need to build pig houses later. Catcoons are the easiest meat, but you really don't need to eat monster meat if you build up a stash and feed 4 to every pig you meet. Hunt koala relatively close to dusk so that you find it just before night falls. Build a campfire a bit away from it, and when it falls asleep, attack it. That way you don't waste time trying to corner it at the edge of map. Also, kill a beefalo when you see them. It's not that hard to wander the map with a stack of at least a dozen big meats.

27 minutes ago, StarmanNess said:

No one's mentioned frogs yet...

Seriously, they're stupidly easy to kill as her. As long as you're decent with kiting you can take out a whole horde of frogs.

Yep, I know where a lot of frogs are and I've killed a few and making meatballs out of them. Although that cannot be my only food source because winter is soon and I believe frogs don't come out in the winter.

Just now, Keets said:

Yep, I know where a lot of frogs are and I've killed a few and making meatballs out of them. Although that cannot be my only food source because winter is soon and I believe frogs don't come out in the winter.

Jerky is pretty viable.

Also I strongly recommend you look into a birdcage. Bacon and Eggs are, in my opinion, Wigfrid's best food to eat, along with Honey Ham.

Just now, StarmanNess said:

Jerky is pretty viable.

Also I strongly recommend you look into a birdcage. Bacon and Eggs are, in my opinion, Wigfrid's best food to eat, along with Honey Ham.

Yeah uhh, I have tons of beefalo and I'm about to make a few jerky racks soon, and get that meat up on the rack. 

I'll try Bacon and Eggs soon, never tried it. 

I started quite a few games I liked soloing as Wigfrid. Jerky and crockpot recipes are great later, but if you explore a lot in the beginning and depending on what you find, I think Catcoon's are the easiest for big meat followed by tallbirds, if you find a saturated pond area throw down traps for frogs, and as others said roaming a swamp you usually end up picking up a lot of a free meat. 

If you  find a some pigs and spiders early though, befriend the pigs and just go after spiders since she's battle ready from the start. When you're piggies fall to the enemy, you'll get their meat as well as the spiders so it's a double win :) 

I'd just say the same things others have said

- Kill spiders.  Cook the monster meat first, kill something afterwords and you're good.

- Tall birds - warepigs - moleworms - catcoons - gobblers - buzzards - koala - 

That pretty much sums it up.  I would consider Wigfrid a great solo character, and getting meat is not actually that tough as you familiarize yourself with the prey.  You may want to advance to Wolfgang as you get better at getting food and managing hunger.  He has bigger bonuses with a slightly tougher weakness, but still allows a variety of foods.

19 hours ago, Keets said:

If you already have a crockpot, there will be no problem. If you still have time to make some bee boxes before winter, monster meat from spiders + honey is good food + healing forever. I always tried to make the honey farm before winter.

If not, just monster meat + ice during winter is really easy way to make your meatballs, and you can sleep or fight more spiders to recover that HP you would get from honey recipes.

Make a base in the Dragonfly desert.

You get monster meat from hounds.

You get twigs / grass from tumbleweeds.

You get filler from cactus.

You can use 1 monster meat 3 cactus to make meatballs, or when you get a birdcage, use 2 monster meat to make 2 eggs, then cook 1 monster meat, 2 eggs and 1 cactus flesh in the crockpot to make pierogis. They restore 40 health, so you can live off of cooked monster meat and heal using pierogis when necessary.

I'm a long time Wigfrid main.

Personally my favorite way to get meat early in the game, is the following...
Explore your map. Kill any Frogs you see! Do every Hunt you Pass! And my all time favorite! Go to the Desert! The Buzzards in the area will flock to you when you drop ANY Meat on the floor. You can get a massive amount of meat super quickly that way.

Later on in the game, I would suggest Spiders for monster meat... Then Using the Crock Pot to get Meatballs, until you can eventually get a Bird Cage and then you can turn the Monster Meat into Eggs. 

I'm seriously shocked no ones mentioned how amazing Buzzards are for Wigfrid...

Living near the desert as Wig you can survive on B&E made from hound an buzzards, but I seem to remember that buzzards can soon be entirely wiped out? At least that was true in one of my earliest games, when I was counting on them and they never respawned.

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 11:26 AM, Rellimarual said:

Living near the desert as Wig you can survive on B&E made from hound an buzzards, but I seem to remember that buzzards can soon be entirely wiped out? At least that was true in one of my earliest games, when I was counting on them and they never respawned.

A friend told me that they do respawn, it's just that their shadows don't come back. I have yet to check whether this is true or false.

The shadows typically remain even if there are no active buzzards. When killing buzzards you should only try to do it every 2 days, as they can take a day or two to actually respawn. This works despite which season. They drop 1 sometimes 2 meat. You can't rely on them as a constant source of food like you used to as they did change them a bit. However if you are ever crossing a desert I think its always highly recommended to always try your luck. :)

Spiders are the best if you can camp by multiple nests and set up a bird cage to convert cooked monster meat to eggs for filler so you can make meatballs in the crock pot (1 monster meat + 3 eggs). Also,  if you eat cooked monster meat and don't cook regular meat early in the game you can farm lots of nightmare fuel while you're exploring the map.

2 hours ago, Alex Jones said:

set up a bird cage to convert cooked monster meat to eggs for filler so you can make meatballs in the crock pot (1 monster meat + 3 eggs)

Don't do that. 2 monster meat and 2 eggs in the crockpot has a 50% chance of making bacon and eggs.

Archived