Meatballs tweak

Not sure if meatballs need a nerf though. It's only beneficial in terms of hunger or sanity (18.8(monster meat)+12.5*3(berries*3) = 56.3. Only 6 extra hunger gained), and bad in terms of healing or as a way of storing food.

It does encourages new players to build crock pots, so I think it's great the way it is now.

I think there should be a different version for meat ball with only monster meat, and the classic one. Because the more powerful part of the meatball is to give something edible if you use monster meat.

I would nerf only 1 recipe: monster meat + 3 ice and turn it to something another with 25-37 hunger. Winter becomes too easy with it. Even easier, then autumn, concerning food. I can't wait while winter will come, because I'm too lazy to pick all those fillers (berries, mushrooms etc...). I just want to chop ice and hunger problem is solved completely. When I started to play this game, I thought I need to prepare to winter, fill my iceboxes with food, while it still grows.... No It's not :D .

Monstermeat + 3 ice - is the password, key, what will solve any newbie's winter problem in DS\DST.

I suppose increasing the meat value requirement to 1.5 may solve it, but by that point, the recipe may be pointless. You'd be 2 eggs away from making Bacon & Eggs. Besides, our server noobs would simply resort to wasting other materials for other simple recipes.

The second option could be a bit more fun, really. In the time that they're wasting food, we could start teaching them better recipes. And on that note, never forget to teach the newcomers! Put the food in the crock pot and ask them to check it for the recipe. Little typing required.

On 6/14/2017 at 5:52 PM, SlowMaybe said:

remove ice as filler?

Or not. What is a meatball? Balls of minced meat boiled in water. Seems legit to me.

Plus why would I even bother getting ice then (as I don't build flingos, basing in caves)?! For other 'useless' items like Ice Cube, Melonsicle or Water Balloons? (cave bases, again in my case, make Moon Dial superfluous as well)

Ice is good for putting out fires on beehives.  (which I start so as to get the bees out -- after which I fight the hive for honey and combs)

(obv. not addressing meatballs, so -- to stay on-topic -- I'll note I'm fine with them, they don't seem OP to me;  besides, I'd rather make bacon 'n eggs w. MM anyway......)

2 minutes ago, JohnWatson said:

Don't do anything. Non-problem solved.

2 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

Maximum of 1 ice as filler and requires at least 1 meat ingredient that is not a monster food. Problem solved.

I don't care problem solved 

1 hour ago, JohnWatson said:

Don't do anything. Non-problem solved.

Well you have to admit that the 3 ice and 1 monster meat recipe is a bit of an issue. It's possibly the most ridiculously efficient, and easy recipe for any food in the game. Sure, there are much better foods out there then meatballs, but I think the reason everyone finds meatballs overpowered is due to this very recipe.

(Not to mention that randoms tend to use up all the ice on meatballs and don't leave much, if any, for flingos)

1 minute ago, Sinister_Fang said:

Well you have to admit that the 3 ice and 1 monster meat recipe is a bit of an issue.

It's not. You can punch a butterfly for 9.375 hunger. Butterflies can be found everywhere. That's 2 seconds of punching a butterfly for 1 minute of food. Are butterfly wings an issue too?

It's possibly the most ridiculously efficient, and easy recipe for any food in the game.

Or you can save the monster meat for bacon eggs, a much more useful recipe than meatballs and doesn't require any filler. Every 4 monster meat you have is a 50% chance of 20 health and 8 minutes of food.

You can also kill a beefalo, which takes around 10-20 seconds, and you receive 4 meat. That's 10-20 seconds of work for 10.67 minutes of food or 32 minutes of food if you use a crock pot.

Sure, there are much better foods out there then meatballs, but I think the reason everyone finds meatballs overpowered is due to this very recipe.

It's not overpowered. It was never overpowered. Here's meatballs compared to common food you can find off the ground:

• Meatballs = 62.5 hunger
  • 7 Honey = 65.625 hunger
  • 5 Carrots = 62.5 hunger
  • 7 Butterfly Wings = 65.625 hunger
  • 5 Lichen = 62.5 hunger
  • 5 Cooked Cacti = 62.5 hunger
  • 7 Berries = 65.625 hunger
  • 5 Roasted Berries = 62.5 hunger
  • 7 Roasted Birchnuts = 65.625 hunger
  • 5 Juicy Berries = 62.5 hunger
  • 4 Roasted Juicy Berries = 75 hunger

The only thing meatballs are good for is converting monster meat and ice or redcaps into something edible. It's basically just for recycling food that's useless anyway. If you used the time you wasted on trapping spiders and spawning pengulls instead on something useful like building a honey farm or getting meat for jerky, then food would be even less of a worry.

(Not to mention that randoms tend to use up all the ice on meatballs and don't leave much, if any, for flingos)

Tell them that meatballs are rubbish and to start eating proper food. Hide your ice in a bundle wrap in the middle of four berry bushes.

10 hours ago, JohnWatson said:

It's not. You can punch a butterfly for 9.375 hunger. Butterflies can be found everywhere. That's 2 seconds of punching a butterfly for 1 minute of food. Are butterfly wings an issue too?

Well, yeah, I kinda do have a bit of an issue with butterfly wings, but that's not what this thread is about.

10 hours ago, JohnWatson said:

It's not overpowered. It was never overpowered. Here's meatballs compared to common food you can find off the ground:

• Meatballs = 62.5 hunger
  • 7 Honey = 65.625 hunger
  • 5 Carrots = 62.5 hunger
  • 7 Butterfly Wings = 65.625 hunger
  • 5 Lichen = 62.5 hunger
  • 5 Cooked Cacti = 62.5 hunger
  • 7 Berries = 65.625 hunger
  • 5 Roasted Berries = 62.5 hunger
  • 7 Roasted Birchnuts = 65.625 hunger
  • 5 Juicy Berries = 62.5 hunger
  • 4 Roasted Juicy Berries = 75 hunger

27 ice = 62.1 hunger

You forgot ice. Showing how many pieces of food it takes to be the equivalent of meatballs is fairly pointless unless you show the gain/loss of hunger when that food is used to make meatballs.

Now here's a proper list showing the gain or loss of 1 monster meat + 3 ingredients (can't use honey due to this recipe resulting in an even worse food then meatballs):

• 1mm, 3 carrots = gain of 6.25 hunger
  • 1mm, 3 butterfly wings = gain of 15.625 hunger
  • 1mm, 3 lichen =  gain of 6.25 hunger (and no sanity loss)
  • 1mm, 3 cacti = gain of 6.25 hunger
  • 1mm, 3 cooked berries = gain of 6.25 hunger
  • 1mm, 3 cooked birchnuts = gain of 15.625 hunger
  • 1mm, 3 cooked juicy berries = loss of 12.5 hunger
  • 1mm, 3 ice = gain of 36.85 hunger

Now it should be obvious that the only ingredient better not in meatballs is the cooked juicy berries. But I think a lot of people knew that already...

19 minutes ago, Sinister_Fang said:

27 ice = 62.1 hunger

You forgot ice.

And? The reason I didn't include ice was because obviously nobody eats it for hunger.

19 minutes ago, Sinister_Fang said:

Showing how many pieces of food it takes to be the equivalent of meatballs is fairly pointless unless you show the gain/loss of hunger when that food is used to make meatballs.

Now here's a proper list showing the gain or loss of 1 monster meat + 3 ingredients (can't use honey due to this recipe resulting in an even worse food then meatballs):

• 1mm, 3 carrots = gain of 6.25 hunger
  • 1mm, 3 butterfly wings = gain of 15.625 hunger
  • 1mm, 3 lichen =  gain of 6.25 hunger (and no sanity loss)
  • 1mm, 3 cacti = gain of 6.25 hunger
  • 1mm, 3 cooked berries = gain of 6.25 hunger
  • 1mm, 3 cooked birchnuts = gain of 15.625 hunger
  • 1mm, 3 cooked juicy berries = loss of 12.5 hunger
  • 1mm, 3 ice = gain of 36.85 hunger

Now it should be obvious that the only ingredient better not in meatballs is the cooked juicy berries. But I think a lot of people knew that already...

6.25 hunger is 40 seconds of food while 15.625 is 100 seconds of food. You're wasting your time on meatballs for an extra 40-100 seconds of food. Just eat the ingredients raw.

Food is not even that hard to obtain. Again, kill a beefalo for 15 seconds and get 32 minutes of food. Meatballs are a measly 6.67 minutes of food yet people think it's worth spawning pengulls and running around the map to mine ice for meatballs.

The only reason people think meatballs were ever an issue is because they've never tried any other food and insist on wasting unnecessary amounts of time on a rubbish food item that spoils in ten days and barely restores any health or sanity. Mining ice for the sole purpose of meatballs is drivel and a waste of time. Farming monster meat for the sole purpose of meatballs is even more drivel and more of a waste of time. Not to mention that most people farm monster meat by committing all their time and resources into making and placing traps around spider dens. Ridiculous waste of time.

Again, meatballs are only good for turning rubbish ingredients (monster meat, ice, red caps) into something edible. And even then, I consider baconeggs as a better alternative as it lasts twice as long, restores a good chunk of health, and only needs four monster meat.

On 6/11/2017 at 11:22 AM, __orange said:

882272724_preview_eat-your-veggies-thumbnail.png

Reduce the hunger to 37.5, or

Change the recipe to tags.meat>=1.5, or

Split to 2 foods:

one requires 0.5 meat and provides 37.5 hunger,

another requires 1.5 meat and provides 62.5 hunger.

These are pretty okay I guess.  I think small meat should make for small meatballs like they make small jerky.

Big meat should have more hunger.

Though at the same time, I'm also fine with the way it is.  It doesn't make much difference to me, and I wouldn't care either way.

Archived