Insulated Airlock/door

24 minutes ago, strawberrygirl said:

I was assuming it was insulating already because it says they maintain "atmosphere" ... no?

atmosphere = gas pressure

Insulated means the airlock will not heat up/cool down which in turn heat up/cool down the other side. Blocking gas/liquids does not count.

7 minutes ago, strawberrygirl said:

I guess it was wishful thinking on my part, because how else are you going to have a usable insulated room without a door? 

What people do is use waterlocks. You make a room with insulated tiles and then the door looks like:

maxresdefault.jpg

Well, the airlocks are made from metal, a group of elements generally exhibiting a larger thermal conductivity (there are quite a few exceptions to it, I know) in real life. The metals generally used (iron, copper, gold and wolframite [technically an alloy]) in ONI exhibit a thermal conductivity between 42 and 223 in real life (Btu/(hr oF ft)) , So ONI does generally follow that quite well, and I don't see these airlocks being made from none-metal elements.

I already made a prediction on a future content update based on the elements already in the game: I think we'll have an advanced material update eventually, where we get to create alloys, mixtures of metals with a different element. For instance a more simple alloy like steel where it contains 1.5% carbon has a thermal conductivity of 21, already half of what I mentioned above.

1 minute ago, turbonl64 said:

Well, the airlocks are made from metal, a group of elements generally exhibiting a larger thermal conductivity (there are quite a few exceptions to it, I know) in real life. The metals generally used (iron, copper, gold and wolframite [technically an alloy]) in ONI exhibit a thermal conductivity between 42 and 223 in real life (Btu/(hr oF ft)) , So ONI does generally follow that quite well, and I don't see these airlocks being made from none-metal elements.

I already made a prediction on a future content update based on the elements already in the game: I think we'll have an advanced material update eventually, where we get to create alloys, mixtures of metals with a different element. For instance a more simple element like steel where it contains 1.5% carbon has a thermal conductivity of 21, already half of what I mentioned above.

You can have metal airlocks and then simply pad them with insulating materials. You don't need no fancy alloy for thermal insulation unless maybe in extreme temperatures.

2 minutes ago, AlexRou said:

You can have metal airlocks and then simply pad them with insulating materials. You don't need no fancy alloy for thermal insulation unless maybe in extreme temperatures.

That would do fine in your starting position, but if the developers want to make the extremely hot lower parts of the maps a useful thing in the future, I think you are logically looking at special alloys. Perhaps even inconel (although none of the elements making up inconel are currently in the game).

Now I do have to note that steel is already in the game as a refined metal. The game even calls it an alloy. It's no stretch by any means they are going to make something useful out of this later in the development cycle.

1 minute ago, turbonl64 said:

That would do fine in your starting position, but if the developers want to make the extremely hot lower parts of the maps a useful thing in the future, I think you are logically looking at special alloys. Perhaps even inconel (although none of the elements making up inconel are currently in the game).

Now I do have to note that steel is already in the game as a refined metal. The game even calls it an alloy. It's no stretch by any means they are going to make something useful out of this later in the development cycle.

Not saying they aren't or shouldn't do stuff with alloys, just saying an alloy isn't a requirement for insulation even in real life. I wouldn't mind if they added both types of insulated airlocks tbh.

47 minutes ago, AlexRou said:

What people do is use waterlocks. You make a room with insulated tiles and then the door looks like:

maxresdefault.jpg

Water can transfer temperature also. I don't see it as a good insulator material though it is better than air. But I guess if people use this.. it works in game. Ill try it. Thanks. 

*P. S. what a fancy looking farm you got there :p

1 hour ago, AlexRou said:

Not saying they aren't or shouldn't do stuff with alloys, just saying an alloy isn't a requirement for insulation even in real life. I wouldn't mind if they added both types of insulated airlocks tbh.

I wouldn't mind either. An easy to use padding with perhaps a higher maintenance for precise temperature control in normal temperatures vs higher quality alloys which are more difficult to produce and allow machines to run in extreme hot temperatures.

5 hours ago, strawberrygirl said:

Water can transfer temperature also. I don't see it as a good insulator material though it is better than air. But I guess if people use this.. it works in game. Ill try it. Thanks. 

*P. S. what a fancy looking farm you got there :p

water is an O.K. insulator... but it's more useful for pressure. If the room is -200 C u lose (or gain) a LOT of heat. And, eventually, the water freezes. I mean, abyssalite inulated...

15 minutes ago, eloy2030 said:

water is an O.K. insulator... but it's more useful for pressure. If the room is -200 C u lose (or gain) a LOT of heat. And, eventually, the water freezes. I mean, abyssalite inulated...

If you have a -200 C room you wouldn't want dupes going into it anyway so you would not even put a door there.

Archived