Why is this game so resource heavy?

I am running my server in AWS. I have historically not had problems running my game servers in AWS. This game so far has been difficult to install, and in addition it uses so many resources I have it in a t2.medium for one large-size server with a cave. That's ridiculous. Minecraft has been running fine for months in a t2.small with no issues, and given the graphics in this game, I cannot for the life of me figure out why it's so resource-intensive. I understand yeah that there are two server instances but still...the minimum specs only call for 1GB RAM (so 2gb for two servers) and I'm double that to even get it to run without performance issues...what gives?

RAM isn't the issue for the server... 2GB woulda be enough.
The issue is ur CPU performance.

Idk how amazon work but they didn't tell you what CPU they use for the T2.
The C3 on amazon might work. E5-2666 v3 not that bad.

I wouldn't suggest getting any Xeon processor. It true Xeon processor can have a lot of threads but its useless since this game server use only 1 core. So it doesn't matter if you have like 32 threads. You should get something like i7, would be the best since i7 cores is faster.

Actually you are wrong. artemiy the owner of Slightly Tilted group has last time I checked like 6 public and 2 private DST servers and some of them have mods and whatnot and runs them all from the same Intel Xeon E3-1231 v3 server and one time I asked him about some CPU usage when had like 20 people scattered on all the servers and he had like 30% CPU usage on all 4 cores.

it's true that the Master and Caves each use one core, but given that the CPU has 4 and 8 threads this means that system won't halt other processes to execute some other stuff, cos this is what actually causes the lag and on top of that the raw 3.4GHz frequency clearly helps.

I don't have an i7 to test what you are saying, I was just making a point in regards of you saying that Xenon would be a bad choice.

Edit: Him having 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 1600 ECC RAM guess helps a bit as well. :)

On 6/8/2017 at 1:50 AM, cezarica said:

Actually you are wrong. artemiy the owner of Slightly Tilted group has last time I checked like 6 public and 2 private DST servers and some of them have mods and whatnot and runs them all from the same Intel Xeon E3-1231 v3 server and one time I asked him about some CPU usage when had like 20 people scattered on all the servers and he had like 30% CPU usage on all 4 cores.

it's true that the Master and Caves each use one core, but given that the CPU has 4 and 8 threads this means that system won't halt other processes to execute some other stuff, cos this is what actually causes the lag and on top of that the raw 3.4GHz frequency clearly helps.

I don't have an i7 to test what you are saying, I was just making a point in regards of you saying that Xenon would be a bad choice.

Edit: Him having 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 1600 ECC RAM guess helps a bit as well. :)

E3 not exactly bad but its bad for running game server
Just like u said they use only one core
So if u run Master and Caves then total is 2 cores
The other 2 cores from E3 will leave alone other than running other stuff and OS stuff
If people get Xenon with like 32 threads 16 cores... The rest of the cores are all useless leaving there

Archived