Binge Eater is game destroying

One of my duplicants got stressed out and ate ALL my food, maybe around 20.000 kcal. Can't know those numbers for sure but that simply **** you over bigtime. That much being eaten can't be considered a reasonable punishment, please fix it.

While I get the frustration, consider the following; would the game be more interesting if bad things like this couldn't happen?

Consider that a single Destructive dupe can potentially wreck a crucial Generator, reservoir wall, or airlock. The results are devastating, but potentially hilarious! This kind of danger makes it worthwhile to invest in stress prevention, such as Decor or Massage Tables, but also makes for an amusing result when we fail.

That said, reducing the numbers on Binge Eater might be reasonable if it's too crazy.

I usually play with all kind of stress response dudes.

I don't know exactly the effect of the crying dupes (don't remember the name), but i don't have the feeling that they are THAT annoying (could of course be wrong)

Destroying dudes aren't really annoying in my game, they never destroyed something that crucial, so usually it's a little annoyance/waste of time.

Vomiter dupes are annoying because they could lead to stress others dupes.

Binge eater could be very powerful and eat all the food you have, leading to big problem. But if you have very little food in stock they do pretty much nothing. So they could be either something leading your colony to food issues or changing pretty much nothing. Their potential of destruction is for me the highest of all (but i admit that a Destroying dupe destroying something specific could do big damage too).

So something a little more "stable" would be better. With a specific behaviour if they don't have enough food (they try to eat anything, even dirt/poluted dirt/rotten food, and become sick ?).

I'd just like to point out that if you are playing badly enough that you hit a stress response you are playing badly. Simply as that.

Stress responses are IRRELEVANT you should never trigger a stress response.

Edit: Technically not irrelevant but you get the point. Something to be avoided at all costs.

The issue IMHO is that the stress reaction of a duplicant dosn't reduce the stress it has, leading in an endless cycle of performing the stress response. Thus my suggestion was and still is that a duplicant should lose ~10% stress by executing a stress response, which would break the endless cycle.

Binge eater is kind of like hound attack in Don't Starve. If you don't expect it, it hits hard but can be handled with careful management. But when you're ready it's no concern at all. Recently I don't even care about stress reactions of my dupes because their stress never gets over the limit where they start applying their traits. The whole trick is building massage tables and investing to art soon enough.

There's a few perfectionists here. Please understand that there's a lot of moving parts in the game that you simply cannot understand every single possible outcome from every single mechanic as you're learning the game. Mistakes happen, and your duplicants gets stressed for a period while you recover. Also it's a game, not some security job where real lives are at stake.

Point is, the amount of food eaten feels beyond that of a "big punishment", plus it's boring. Destructive is fine and interesting even, a binge eater shouldn't consume SEVERAL 10k's of food.

It's not about sympathy, is about balance. This stress response lacks something for a proper balance. This isn't normal to have one stress response a lot more dangerous than the other. Make the others a little more relevant and this one a little more powerful, why not, it's an option.

they got 4k stomach so its a logical flaw, maybe eating should increase bladder charge rate, also sleeping, but lower it daytime. they should use toilet after eating that much then start again and again but dont waste more than 1 ration a time. would be enough  time loss, so player should react to stress.

After some game I didn't even saw stress responses. I just deal with it as i play, Now with auto massage tables going from 50%->20% settings it just works for me. Hang some paintings, figure out what's stressing them and fix it.

I sometimes make them do hard work like dig in cold polluted water but i give them downtime after to recover, if you push them all the time don't be surprised when they start wrecking things. Mix things up, let them stay in nice areas and let them dig in nasty areas.

my strategy on stress is decor overload, its not that hard just plan for decor. kinda half the place need to be decorated. private rooms stop them from interrupting others sleep, enough lavatories close to the beds and sides of the base stop them wasting time. tweak the daily rations too. then have showers/hand sanitizers on exits. dont let them get interrupted sleep and clean up the dirty water so they dont step on it multiple times, sweep up resources. then just have specialized workers, few good diggers make more work then lot of bad ones. plan ahead, work on one side of map and finish it before starting something new.

23 minutes ago, Hopey said:

I just had a dupe eat 200000 kcal of food in one sitting, while his bladder was full. Everyone then proceeded to die of starvation

Why wouldn't you just build a microbe musher?

45 minutes ago, Hopey said:

I just had a dupe eat 200000 kcal of food in one sitting, while his bladder was full. Everyone then proceeded to die of starvation

Now that is just hilarious :D And thank you for another example.

21 minutes ago, Kasuha said:

That is hardly the problem, being able to eat 200k kcal is..

1 hour ago, Kasuha said:

First, you still lose 200kcal of food, which is huge. More than any loss of stress i got.

Second, microbe musher is an ok option now because the bug of diarrhea, but i guess this will change one day. It will not be a correct answer to one stress dupe to make all your colony sick then have to make pills to cure them.

55 minutes ago, Minaharker said:

That is hardly the problem, being able to eat 200k kcal is..

The problem is complaining that your base died of starvation due to it. I mean, people are painting binge eater much worse problem than it really is. If you forget you can build a musher to keep your base alive until you replenish your food stock, and if you forget there is a Consumables menu where you can prevent the eater eating at all, then you're really playing the game wrong.

21 minutes ago, Lumina said:

Second, microbe musher is an ok option now because the bug of diarrhea, but i guess this will change one day.

The day isn't here yet and when it comes, there's the cooking station and you can fry them.

Had one eat a full 50k here.  Didn't lose anyone because I was still actively making food, but he cleared out my entire harvest worth of liceloaf.  Why the heck he couldn't have gone to one of three open massage tables is beyond me.  So far, no binge eaters or criers will take breaks on open tables at all, preferring to do their stress response instead.  You can't even make them go anymore.

There should be physical limit on how much they can eat, it's like aggressive dupe dropping nuke on your whole base. :D Sneaky little bastards. 10-20k would be understandable but 100k? How in the hell?

To the people saying: "Deal with it, don't let their stress get so high, it's your fault." That's patently absurd. Binge eater is so bad that I actively refuse all dupes with that trait. None of the other stress responses bother me as much as the binge eater one does. It single-handedly destroyed one of my colonies. When something is that out-of-balance with the other options, then you know something is wrong.

On 5/29/2017 at 11:50 AM, Kasuha said:

I had 2 working full time and cooking also. It would have been a nonstop eating contest until there was none left.

On 5/29/2017 at 3:37 AM, ShamPeiN said:

they got 4k stomach so its a logical flaw, maybe eating should increase bladder charge rate, also sleeping, but lower it daytime. they should use toilet after eating that much then start again and again but dont waste more than 1 ration a time. would be enough  time loss, so player should react to stress.

yeah that wouldbe great but he ate through the night til next day, with a full bladder

There are two things about binge eaters I didn't realize before:

- binge eater gets a "well fed" buff so he actually is losing stress over time while he eats. 

- if you watch the binge eater (follow cam) he gets the "center of attention" buff that reduces his stress

Archived