cant get beyond 30 or so cycles in ONI

Oxygen not included is a very interesting game tho I cant get beyond around 30 cycles before my colony runs out of either food or resources. This is very frustrating I want to be able to see my colony thrive!

My biggest complaints is the speed they use up algae causing my dups to suffocate, inversely if I develop the tec  eliminate  the the need for algae use I  starve my dups.

As it sits now nothing I try seems to solve this issue.

Any advice will be appreciated.

I want to have to use all the neat items that I spend time researching, but am unable to. 

I'm thinking that resource consumption rates need to be dialed down a lot, and/or some way to set up a equilibrium  the system to support a small number of dups, allowing a easier time getting the systems set up to allow for a sustanable colony.

Build outhouse, wheel+battery+deoxidyser, wheel+battery+research, research fine dining (for the farm tiles, build farm tiles with mealwood), water pump+perchloration (for oxygen, build wheel+battery+pump+water splitter), research decor (against stress) and build cots&wheel+battery+table, build compost+more outhouses.

Then you're free to do what you want.

I highly recommend not printing new dupes until you feel you can't run out of resources anytime soon.

I have happily played with just the three starters until way past cycle 100.

Another thing that could help is Microbe Musher. Just keep making mud pies... there's enough dirt to last you quite some time. Your dupes will be unhappy about the food, but just hang paintings everywhere you can and you won't have any problems with stress anyway. Also, it says there's a risk of diarrhea, but it hasn't happened to me yet, and I'm feeding them that glop almost exclusively.

For algae, don't build deoxydizer at all, go straight for algae farm. It's much more efficient. The only drawback is that it drains your water supply quite fast, so you need to find a big water source asap, preferably in the form of steam geyser.

Don't hesitate to dig when you see that there is something buried, often it will be seeds or food you can eat now, like muckroot.

And yes, don't recruit too much dupes. Don't recruit dupes when they comes, but when you know that a dupe will bring more than it will cost you.

I usually keep my dupes around 6 in number. mi am finding it very vexing that i can not get over 50 turns even with all the advice i have been given. I'm usually good at games like this... this is frustrating!!!

I run 3 dupes until I'm done with all my research.

Never ever use algae deoxidizers.

First build 2 outhouses and 3 beds spread apart, because they breath out co2 and can disrupt other people's sleep if oxygen levels are low.  But you shouldn't let your O2 levels get low because you'll need 6 terrariums to keep 3 people alive (notice the free light source).  Same goes for food, you'll need 6 (7 to be safe) mealwood plants to feed them.

Do not let them go underwater, or even near water until you have a working shower (the outbound pipes need to go up 2 tiles to work properly).

Always always always research in this order first: Food then Decor

I used to go for the electolyzer and hydrogen genny, but you don't really need it if you can your biodistillers up and running.

electrolyzer is just in case you run out of algae, but you need to get the hydrogen genny right after so you can deal with the hydrogen.

Jobs:
you only need 1 artist (usually get someone with 5 creativity and don't let anyone else do the art)
1 person on research
1 person to cook
If you want easy mode, get one of each from the start screen and make sure they all have diver's lungs

Notice the terrariums at the bottom of my main (only) shaft because they can suck up CO2.  There's still a ton of algae I haven't even dug up yet and I have almost all my research done.  Beds always go up a level because O2 rises, but that's not important BECAUSE YOU HAVE 6 TERRARIUMS, RIGHT?  But really, low concentration O2 and making them dig in water before they can shower makes their stress unmanageable.

cycle-28.png

21 hours ago, Haivland said:

I usually keep my dupes around 6 in number. mi am finding it very vexing that i can not get over 50 turns even with all the advice i have been given. I'm usually good at games like this... this is frustrating!!!

What is your game plan when starting a game? Your colony shouldn't fall apart as long as you have a Musher and Water. The Water in the start biome should last you at least 150 Cycles, which should be more than long enough to find a Water Geyser and harness its liquid.

I am still new to the game, so am still trying things out on my strategy,   I try to accumulate resources quickly keeping my base orderly with in 3 turns i have my outhouse, microbe muncher and research stations up and running. i then research food then decor then put up my 6 algae  terrariums then start with cots,paintings and statues.  !  only turn on the muncher when needed. I am currently trying to operate with 3 dups only 

Dupe stress is my biggest issue right now. I cant seem to get my decor up as quickly as I need it.

I'm not sure sticking with 3 dups is the easiest starting strategy anymore.  I go quick to 6 dupes, rush to electrolyser.  1 musher and 1 electrolyser can keep 6 dupes alive, by sticking with 3 dups you're making everything take more cycles which gives the dups more time to level up and stress harder.  If you build a large unused top area for hydrogen to accumulate then you don't need to rush hydrogen generator to use electrolyser; the nice thing about that is that when you finally do build your hydrogen generator it will have a backlog of hydrogen to go through giving you some bonus power for a bit.  3 dupes seems to have gotten really popular in the pre-geyser days, but I see more and more people having trouble with it lately.

That's because you're n00b right now! Trust me on your 5th+ game you'll be like me wondering why do i even bother collecting algae. Last game that im on 350+ cycle i haven't used a single gram of algae before realizing i have absolutely no use for it. Problem is when you run out of phosphorus for pinchas, i mean you can make your own fertilizer but not P. Maybe some industrial update with some sort of mining machinery that would mine quarry spawns (think of a geyser for rocks but you use some excavator to dig from it YAY MOAR POWER USE).

6 minutes ago, cpy said:

Problem is when you run out of phosphorus for pinchas

Your pinchas are fine without Phosphorus, they always give at least one seed and lack of phosphorus doesn't stop them growing despite the ugly icon the planter pops out.

12 minutes ago, Kasuha said:

Your pinchas are fine without Phosphorus, they always give at least one seed and lack of phosphorus doesn't stop them growing despite the ugly icon the planter pops out.

But i want 8! :D

Anyway they give 4-1 4-2 8-2 i wish it gave at least 6 peppers at tier 2. :(

dupa lisa shafts!

most common thing people mess up is proper air flow.

at least 4 wide shafts should be between each section allowing the co2 to go down. 4 wide because ladder-painting-ladder but can be 6  wide with 2 paintings 2 ladders on sides

under beds, massage, wheels gas permeables, no need all but usually every second to save on decor but ventilate the base

horizontal doors can be used as floors or pool walls. get the dirt and water near research/food making or get the kitchen and research near pool

research fast, get a dupe with fast learning and use 2-3 researchers

get a good mole hand digger who digs out buried resources

maps differ, some give lot of algae some give lot of coal/copper. yeah i also found some with 21 day out of algae and no easy way of finding food, stress spiraled out and couldnt buy more time with digging out algae, but just restart game if you dont like the map. i like to have geysers, 1-2 cold biomes and big purple biomes. kinda bored of copper/coal+10 hatches maps.

if you dont have many purple biomes you need to rush electrolyzers and dont force getting algae

Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but if you have stress issues, make sure your starters have low food and decor requirements. Their top stat increases that, so if you always try to roll high level dupes, that's actually making things harder for you.

Great advice, I have been playing ONI a lot after i bought it. the learning curve is steep. this thread has helped a lot. I actually got a colony going with zero stress this time. now I am free to go and find other surprising things. like how do you deal with overpressure in the waste vents on my natural gas gennies. problems problems, i like this game.

Depends on what you want to get rid of.

CO2? EASY! Steam vent -> air scrubber<- CO2 vent <- CO2 sources

Natural gas? Burn it! Hydrogen? Same. Polluted oxygen? That means you have not enough oxygen production, stick those suckers at tactical places to keep pressure of clean oxygen high and no room for stinky stuff to expand!

Chlorine? Well, freeze it baby! :D That's what cold storage is for!

On 5/29/2017 at 5:53 AM, cpy said:

That's because you're n00b right now! Trust me on your 5th+ game you'll be like me wondering why do i even bother collecting algae. Last game that im on 350+ cycle i haven't used a single gram of algae before realizing i have absolutely no use for it. Problem is when you run out of phosphorus for pinchas, i mean you can make your own fertilizer but not P. Maybe some industrial update with some sort of mining machinery that would mine quarry spawns (think of a geyser for rocks but you use some excavator to dig from it YAY MOAR POWER USE).

I actually get bored after cycle 150 and have infinite o2, infinite power, infinite food, and I'm evaporating polluted water into steam to go back into my fresh water storage to ween myself off of sand.  At that point I usually have 5-6 dudes.  Is there something to discover after you have pepper plants at this point of the game build?

On 5/28/2017 at 10:06 PM, Haivland said:

I am still new to the game, so am still trying things out on my strategy,   I try to accumulate resources quickly keeping my base orderly with in 3 turns i have my outhouse, microbe muncher and research stations up and running. i then research food then decor then put up my 6 algae  terrariums then start with cots,paintings and statues.  !  only turn on the muncher when needed. I am currently trying to operate with 3 dups only 

Dupe stress is my biggest issue right now. I cant seem to get my decor up as quickly as I need it.

Is your O2 low concentration?
Are you making them touch water before you have a shower?
Did you pick starting guys that are higher level and require higher decor right off the bat?
Do you not build a massage table with priority 9 and top scale 40% and bottom scale 30%?
Do you not let them have a massage by turning off the massage bit on their job list?
Are they all waking up in the middle of the night (not including pee breaks) for some reason?

4 hours ago, glitchster9000 said:

Is your O2 low concentration?
Are you making them touch water before you have a shower?
Did you pick starting guys that are higher level and require higher decor right off the bat?
Do you not build a massage table with priority 9 and top scale 40% and bottom scale 30%?
Do you not let them have a massage by turning off the massage bit on their job list?
Are they all waking up in the middle of the night (not including pee breaks) for some reason?

O2 is ok

I keep them away from water as much as possible

I pick starting guys that are low levels mostly to start

the massage table was not needed until well after i completed all my research 

the dupes sleep thru the night

I run 6 dupes now

I was not paying enough attention to the decor. and trying to rush things to quickly (basic newb mistake, I think)

Now trying to figure out how to properly exploit a natural gas geyser

this time around I am at over 60 cycles  with a stable colony so far.

Archived