How to properly use the new Napsack (Sleepbomb)

43 minutes ago, cookiepersonofdoom said:

but you still lose the bird...

Not if you're really good at running over and picking it up.
Besides, not like they're difficult to get... and you get an additional 6 feathers from releasing poisoned canaries on the surface...

21 minutes ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

But you still use up the deco staff...

While inventive, still doesn't make the item any more reliable than using it without using the deco staff. Although I guess that's one easier way of multiplying shroom skins.

if you're at a point of the game where you can fight Edgestool, you're probably already acquainted with regular Ruins trips to gather gems and materials. Making a couple of deconstruction staffs can't be that hard in that case. Plus, this turns an item which you craft with 1 shroom skin and 1 poisoned canary into 4 shroom skins and 24 saffron feathers. I'd say that's a good payoff for using up a bit of the deconstruction staff.

Same for the scaled flooring, as noted above. If the item's in the game, why not use it?

5 minutes ago, Palecwsmalec1 said:

if you're at a point of the game where you can fight Edgestool, you're probably already acquainted with regular Ruins trips to gather gems and materials. Making a couple of deconstruction staffs can't be that hard in that case. Plus, this turns an item which you craft with 1 shroom skin and 1 poisoned canary into 4 shroom skins and 24 saffron feathers. I'd say that's a good payoff for using up a bit of the deconstruction staff.

Same for the scaled flooring, as noted above. If the item's in the game, why not use it?

No, the green gems are by far short in amount, even if you keep resetting the ruins every 20 days. And those green gems can be used to either renew thulecite or craft thulecite gear for cheaper, being able to craft more of them, rather than something like a napsack.

Remember, this is 1 deco use for extra 3 more napsacks. For Pan Flute, you can deco it for 9 extra uses and pan flute is by far superior to napsack in its field of effect and speed at which it carries out its sleep effect after use. STS being the best by far, however since it's not usable by all players, makes Pan Flute a bit more useful.

So, unless the pan flute's durability was nerfed to 3 from 10, napsacks will simply be inferior pan flutes.

6 minutes ago, MrDeepDarkmind said:

tbh I thought Napsack was a good concept

but I don't get the point if you just get the same items over again 

It costs one skin to make four napsacks, but you can then deconstruct each napsack to get one skin, giving you four skins at the end. 

Depending on how much thulecite you need/want, the Dragonfly can supply enough green gems to make this worthwhile, as long as you aren't using all of them to double Thulecite. Presumably, beyond a certain point you won't actually need any more skins.

3 hours ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

No, the green gems are by far short in amount, even if you keep resetting the ruins every 20 days. And those green gems can be used to either renew thulecite or craft thulecite gear for cheaper, being able to craft more of them, rather than something like a napsack.

Remember, this is 1 deco use for extra 3 more napsacks. For Pan Flute, you can deco it for 9 extra uses and pan flute is by far superior to napsack in its field of effect and speed at which it carries out its sleep effect after use. STS being the best by far, however since it's not usable by all players, makes Pan Flute a bit more useful.

So, unless the pan flute's durability was nerfed to 3 from 10, napsacks will simply be inferior pan flutes.

What if I was trying to illuminate the whole above ground and below ground worlds by populating them all with glow caps? Then the having more shroom skin would be a must, therefore meaning using the green staff on nap sacks would be a better use than pan flutes.

Also who even uses sleep effects on anything other than bosses which most of the time you kill before even needing to put to sleep.

Edit: I just so happened to remember that enraged Dragonfly exists and can only be deactivated by freezing her with a ice staff or putting her to sleep. So sometimes it's needed in order to not die.

2 hours ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

Boi did you forget everything ELSE you can use shroom skin for?

52 minutes ago, GiddyGuy said:

Also who even uses sleep effects on anything other than bosses which most of the time you kill before even needing to put to sleep.

Exactly.

Except there's also a few targets that are particularly vulnerable to tranquilizer darts, e.g. Krampus, MacTusk and M/Goose.  Of course, with no sanity aura, no AoE, and a predictable attack pattern, G/Goose isn't much of a threat anyway.

9 hours ago, GiddyGuy said:

What if I was trying to illuminate the whole above ground and below ground worlds by populating them all with glow caps? Then the having more shroom skin would be a must, therefore meaning using the green staff on nap sacks would be a better use than pan flutes.

Edit: I just so happened to remember that enraged Dragonfly exists and can only be deactivated by freezing her with a ice staff or putting her to sleep. So sometimes it's needed in order to not die.

Sleep effects could be used for various things depending on the resource income of a given sleep effect tool. But yes, bosses are quite common for that. The point though is that the item is not useful as a tool and more useful as a product.

9 hours ago, Palecwsmalec1 said:

Boi did you forget everything ELSE you can use shroom skin for?

How is that a counter point? If you're thinking that shroom douplication makes it a useful utem, I refer back to what I wrote above.

11 hours ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

How is that a counter point? If you're thinking that shroom douplication makes it a useful utem, I refer back to what I wrote above.

http://dontstarve.wikia.com/wiki/Glowcap

http://dontstarve.wikia.com/wiki/Mushlight

I'm not saying it's terribly useful, but these ARE near-permanent lights we're talking about. And they look kick-ass.

10 hours ago, Palecwsmalec1 said:

http://dontstarve.wikia.com/wiki/Glowcap

http://dontstarve.wikia.com/wiki/Mushlight

I'm not saying it's terribly useful, but these ARE near-permanent lights we're talking about. And they look kick-ass.

You still don't get what my point was; the item isn't useful for its sleep mechanics is what I meant. Like come on now, I highlighted it twice already.

3 minutes ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

You still don't get what my point was; the item isn't useful for its sleep mechanics is what I meant. Like come on now, I highlighted it twice already.

It's been buffed so sleep lasts longer I always felt sleep was to short though having to fight raid boss sucks go figure one step forward two steps back.

Archived