Ideas for changes to the SW characters for DST

Small Poll  

11 members have voted

1. 1. If Warly gets added into DST, should he remain mostly "as is" from single-player?

• Yes
    • No
    • Would not mind either way

A thread about ideas to make the SW characters work in DST, if they were to be added without SW.

Ideas so far:

Walani

Spoiler

- Walani can use her surfboard to sleep on (and by that I mean lean on it lazily), giving the stats of a fur roll. Cost *2 boards, but only has 4 uses before snapping in half and disappearing, much like a tent. The surfboard must be deployed much like Warly's crockpot before use, and can be picked back up at any time, until it breaks of course. Unable to be used by anyone but Walani.

- Sanity loss & gain is now halved (50%) compared to other characters, previously was only 10% less lost/gained. Doesn't apply when sleeping.

- Reverse the effects on sanity from wetness, *halved sanity gain still applies.

- Tools, weapons, etc. don't slip. (Being a surfer she should be used to it)

- Increase drying speed to 50%, instead of just 20%

- Remove the totally pointless 10% hunger drain

- Walani has increased benefits from sleeping (50% more), at the cost of her being groggy upon waking up (lasts 6 seconds).

Maybe Idea(s):

- Used to heat (60 heat insulation always)

Basically, Walani is still mostly just a beginners character with some gameplay niches which some may find interesting. I think that she should have at least one more actually meaningful defining perk before I can consider this list finished. I'm still brainstorming ideas...

*Subject to change

Warly

Spoiler

- Warly's extra 33% hunger drain is temporarily lifted, or at the very least slowed down while sleeping. As of now if Warly were to sleep in DST he would lose hunger at an incredibly rapid rate. This aims to fix that problem so he can actually utilize sleeping items more easily without having to eat so much.

- Portable Crockpot is now more versatile. You can choose to deploy it on the ground like usual, or hold it in your hand. When holding the crockpot you can add ingredients and cook with it like you would normally, the crockpot will provide a small, yet useful light source while cooking and provide a great deal of heat, however letting go of the crockpot while its cooking is ill advised. Holding the crockpot will slow you down by about 20%, and using it as a weapon will deal 27.5 damage, equivalent to an axe. While cooking it will light enemies aflame, and deal 42.5 damage. Letting go of the crockpot while cooking will cause it to drop to the ground, drop 1 or 2 of the ingredients, with some Wet Goop, along with ceasing the cooking process. Only Warly can utilize the crockpot (Other characters will comment that they have no idea how to use the crockpot, or that it has some type of lock).

- Chef Pack is now Chef's Hat

4 silk + one rope = Chef's Hat, goes under food crafting tab.

Can be held in the inventory and worn as a hat if there are no items inside. You can now use the Chef Pack as either a hat or a backpack. When used as a hat, it will provide a positive sanity gain of of 1.5 sanity per minute, equivalent to a garland. When wearing the hat around crockpots (regular or portable) that are cooking, the hat will provide 20+ sanity per minute when around one, this effect stacks with the amount of cooking crockpots. When used as a backpack, it will have 6 slots, and behaves like it does currently otherwise. Only Warly can use the backpack function of the hat, and other characters will not get the sanity boost from being around cooking crockpots.

- Add suitable replacements for Sweet-Potato Soufflé & Mussel Bouillabaisse. First thing that came to mind to replace Sweet-Potato soufflé was Carrot Cake, which could have the same recipe except for having carrots instead of potatoes. Mussel Bouillabaisse meanwhile would be renamed to simply "Bouillabaisse", and would require just regular fish (or maybe eels) instead of mussels, might also need a slight retexture.

- More unique recipes and/or the ability to cook SW recipes that don't require SW exclusive food. This would mean that Warly couldn't cook something like a Jelly o' pop, but he'd be able to cook meals like Surf n' Turf or Banana Pops, that don't require exotic ingredients.

As for ideas for new unique recipes, here are mine so far:

*Eye's Scream (tentative title), 1 deerclops eyeball, 2 ice, one butter. Lasts indefinitely or at the very least a very long time (I mean it is the King of Winter's eye so...)

+40 health

+37.5 hunger

+100 sanity

Lowers temperature by a large amount

2 or 3 days of overheating immunity

*Deadly Feast (For PVP, pranking friends, or heavily weakening gluttonous enemies & bosses) (recipe tentative) 2 monster meat, 1 red cap, 1 durian. Lasts 3 days.

-200 health, -75 when force-fed to players in PVP

+150 hunger

-100 sanity

*Glowberry Pie, 1.5 glow berries, 1 egg, rest can be filler. Lasts 4 days.

+20 health

+37.5 hunger

-0 sanity

Upon consumption the player will have the usual glow berry effect, but it will now last for 6 minutes

Lesser glow berries count as 0.5, and regular glow berries are 1.0

Still coming up with more ideas...

Wilbur

Spoiler

- Splumonkey's are now loyal to Wilbur, however they will turn on him like anyone else during nightmare phase.

- Wilbur can now craft Splumonkey Huts (Which could be renamed to just Monkey Huts).

- Only Wilbur can recruit splumonkeys/monkeys.

Maybe Ideas:

- Splumonkeys have an alternate appearance for when they're on the surface (When surfaced they will be called just "Monkeys").

- Bananas can now be found on the surface somehow (For people who cannot run caves so that they can still play Wilbur to full effect).

Really-out-there ideas:

- During the peak of the nightmare cycle, Wilbur will become a shadow monkey as well. In this form, Wilbur will have a 1.50x damage multiplier, further increased speed, limited night vision, and nearby shadow monkeys will be recruited to him automatically, however he will suffer a massive constant sanity penalty of -100 per minute, and will be put into a sleep as soon the peak of the nightmare cycle is over. With this, Wilbur is much more powerful then usual, and with the ability to have dozens of shadow monkeys under his command for free, he can easily wipe out the ruins of monsters, at the cost of becoming one himself...

Woodlegs

Spoiler

To be added...

Scrapped ideas

Spoiler

*Warly - The amount of time Warly remembers a food for is now based on how much hunger it gave. This could make Warly able to eat low hunger food like fishsticks & taffy more often, and will make cheesing the whole mechanic with meaty stew much more difficult, if not impossible, with the right tuning.

While this would have fixed the issue with being able to spam meaty stew, all this ends up doing is reversing the problem for low hunger foods, which are way easier to make then meaty stew making the problem worse, and ends up not encouraging a varied diet. Plus this would be super complicated to code.

Klei's likely not even going to even see this post (They don't particularly check suggestions & feedback too often to my knowledge), so @CheeseNuggets101if he wants too could implement these ideas into his Shipwrecked Characters mod.

Anyway, post your thoughts below, and/or come up with your own ideas if you'd like. "The End."

7 hours ago, Astroknot said:

- Walani can use her surfboard to sleep on

I actually looked into to doing this a while back, never went through with it though. I also like the rest of your Walani ideas, when thinking of changes for her I thought of ones pretty similar to the ones you wrote.

Maybe this is motivation for me to work on the code for my sw character mod again, could use some changes and additions that aren't just speech strings. And some cleaning up too. Probably after I finish my next few projects.

@Astroknot still at it I see

I don't know  I like Warly as a challenge character much better at providing a challenge then Wes I can't get behind changing his entire system because why you can cheese it it's rather wasteful and you have to be pretty far in base devolpment

make Warly's special dishes a sanity thing so he doesn't have to rely on bee boxes and sleep also lower his drain when he sleeps it's maddening in DST do more with his custom recipes with

jerky

gloomer goop 

Nonconsumables 

and maybe boss loot

Another suggestion I saw was give him more chef theme items such as a meat cleaver that could give more meat drops when enemies are killed with it  or maybe a special farm plot that could grow multiple crops in one tile 

I am all for him being able to move and cook with this crockpot but I don't think it should light enemies on fire because that can get really messy 

1 minute ago, Sinister_Fang said:

That was pretty much her only con. You can't have a character with nothing but pros otherwise they'll just replace Wilson.

Her sanity  worked the same way with positive auras being slower but yeah keep the drain 

Just now, Donke60 said:

Her sanity  worked the same way with positive auras being slower but yeah keep the drain 

When you think about it, that perk with the 10% slower sanity drain and gain is pretty much just an additional 10% maximum sanity. So I always just saw it as being a pro and not a con, even though it looks like both at the same time.

Hmm, I think the thing to do for Walani is just to replace the surfboard, or completely redo it. I mean, sleeping on it is ok, but that's not exactly a great perk. I think a good way to make or rewrite a character is to find their skill relating to personality, and fault also relating. Maybe less sanity drain but also less damage when attacking? Or maybe, she would need to sleep in order to stay sane, but could sleep on surfboard. So she'd be pretty reliant on the board, but would always have sanity.

9 hours ago, Donke60 said:

@Astroknot still at it I see

I don't know  I like Warly as a challenge character much better at providing a challenge then Wes I can't get behind changing his entire system because why you can cheese it it's rather wasteful and you have to be pretty far in base devolpment

make Warly's special dishes a sanity thing so he doesn't have to rely on bee boxes and sleep also lower his drain when he sleeps it's maddening in DST do more with his custom recipes with

jerky

gloomer goop 

Nonconsumables 

and maybe boss loot

Another suggestion I saw was give him more chef theme items such as a meat cleaver that could give more meat drops when enemies are killed with it  or maybe a special farm plot that could grow multiple crops in one tile 

I am all for him being able to move and cook with this crockpot but I don't think it should light enemies on fire because that can get really messy 

While I do enjoy Warly as a challenge character like you do, we already have Wes and really I think it be best to not take the spotlight from him as "hard-mode". Warly has a lot of potential as a full-fledged character, I think he deserves that, and a lot of the community seemingly agrees going off some old threads about him.

Aren't all four of Warly's recipes already give 10+ sanity or more? If your talking about buffing them further sanity-wise, then I'd be good with that. I'd like if monster tartare gave 20-33+ sanity, as there really isn't any use for making it aside from using it when there isn't any other recipes Warly can get his increased benefits from.

Lowering his hunger drain when he sleeps was actually something I forgot when editing, I'll add it shortly. I also already put new special dishes in the Warly section, I just didn't have any ideas at the time, but I like your suggestion of using strange items as ingredients like boss loot.

Not sure how much I like the idea of the meat cleaver, I guess it could work, depends on what the damage would be. The special farm plot doesn't seem like it should be a Warly only thing, that's something that all characters should get. Farms as of now aren't very good outside of free food late-game, so having a "super-advanced farm" for example would be good for everyone, including Warly.

You'd have to hit them to light them aflame, so I really don't see the problem with that...

9 hours ago, Donke60 said:

Also the chef hat seems broken

I don't see how. It can work as a insulated pack, or when emptied can be placed in inventory & be used as a great method of restoring sanity. I actually think its perfectly balanced, I mean its a signature item its got to be somewhat good.

9 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

That was pretty much her only con. You can't have a character with nothing but pros otherwise they'll just replace Wilson.

Walani does have cons. I was simply suggesting removing the absolutely pointless one that Klei seemingly tacked on last second. Her main con is; being groggy for 6 (or maybe more after thinking about it) seconds when getting up from her surfboard, using a tent, etc. Her other con is having halved benefits from sanity items that raise it overtime, okay it isn't really a con cause it works the other way around, but for some people it would be a con. She also has 30 less health then the usual. Walani wouldn't have a lot of cons, but its not like she has any super-useful perks, plus there are members of the DST cast that already have perks and barely any cons which overshadow Wilson (Wendy, WX-78, Woodie) and its not like I added that she grew a beard, so Wilson would still have that.

So really she's simply a bit above average, I in fact thought I needed another perk for her, cause it didn't seem like there was enough.

3 hours ago, _catness_ said:

Hmm, I think the thing to do for Walani is just to replace the surfboard, or completely redo it. I mean, sleeping on it is ok, but that's not exactly a great perk. I think a good way to make or rewrite a character is to find their skill relating to personality, and fault also relating. Maybe less sanity drain but also less damage when attacking? Or maybe, she would need to sleep in order to stay sane, but could sleep on surfboard. So she'd be pretty reliant on the board, but would always have sanity.

From what I've seen of her quotes, she has 3 sides of her personality, being a surfer, being lazy, and seemingly being angered easily. I couldn't do any ocean related things with the surfboard obviously, but I couldn't outright scrap it due to it being important to her character, due to that I opted to base her perks around not being bothered by water, and the important other aspect of her personality, being lazy.

I actually like your idea of essentially needing to sleep occasionally, perhaps a constant sanity drain that gets worse the longer you go without sleeping? It could work well as a second/third con that @Sinister_Fang appears to believe she needs. Although I think she should have one last perk then to go with the new con... I just have to think of it...

Let me clarify the sanity gain he gets from his chef hat is broken 

As for hard mode Wes sure the first few times he is hard but he's not a dynamic character he just has lower stats and faster drain that can be somewhat of an inconvenience. Warly On other hand you have to play differently even if it's just a few times. Which makes him a more dynamic character even if he which makes him a more dynamic character even if that's only due to his shortcomings. I'm not against buffing Warly  so that he is more playable; I'm worried of making him too strong to the point where he loses what makes him a more dynamic character than most of the cast. The only other dynamic characters are Wolfgang and Wickerbottom  and even so they do not gain from one of the most overlooked neglected aspects of the game.

1 hour ago, Donke60 said:

Let me clarify the sanity gain he gets from his chef hat is broken 

As for hard mode Wes sure the first few times he is hard but he's not a dynamic character he just has lower stats and faster drain that can be somewhat of an inconvenience. Warly On other hand you have to play differently even if it's just a few times. Which makes him a more dynamic character even if he which makes him a more dynamic character even if that's only due to his shortcomings. I'm not against buffing Warly  so that he is more playable; I'm worried of making him too strong to the point where he loses what makes him a more dynamic character than most of the cast. The only other dynamic characters are Wolfgang and Wickerbottom  and even so they do not gain from one of the most overlooked neglected aspects of the game.

I want to note that when I said Wes was hard-mode, I wrote it as "hard-mode".

I understand where your coming from with this, and going off what your saying, you'd like for him to remain having a unique playstyle. Well, Its not like I said to get rid of his picky eater con (which is one of the major reasons he's unique), just tweak it so he can eat certain foods more often like taffy, and prevent cheesing with meaty stew, I'd like it to be this way so it feels more complete as a mechanic. After some actual thought, yeah the 100+ sanity gain for being around cooking crockpots is too much (I wrote that part too hastily), but I like the idea of having the sanity gain, and so I'm going to ask, if it was 20+ sanity instead of 100+, would it be better? Then you would need 5 crockpots cooking at the same time all around you to even reach 100+ sanity per minute (I think I actually like it better this way, I'll edit the main post with this in a bit if you think its a good idea).

I think doing this should keep Warly dynamic, but tell me what you think would be good.

EDIT: Idea in bolded text ended up being a terrible idea in theory. See reason why in main post under scrapped ideas.

19 minutes ago, Astroknot said:

20+ sanity instead of 100+, would it be better? Then you would need 5 crockpots cooking at the same time all around you to even reach 100+ sanity per minute (I think I actually like it better this way, I'll edit the main post with this in a bit if you think its a good idea)

Hard to say it would be a very unique item but going off of Willow is passive this could turn him into a sanity tank as most bases have four pots as for his hunger rework it's a hard thing to visualize in game could you make some examples

1 minute ago, Donke60 said:

Hard to say it would be a very unique item but going off of Willow is passive this could turn him into a sanity tank as most bases have four pots as for his hunger rework it's a hard thing to visualize in game could you make some examples

The hunger rework is rather difficult to explain as it would all depend on how it was tweaked, but I'll attempt what likely will be a bad example of it:

12.5 hunger foods could be 0.4 days

18.75 hunger foods could be 0.6 days

20 hunger foods could be 0.7 days

25 hunger foods could be 0.9 days

37.5 hunger foods could be 1.3 days

62.5 hunger foods could be 1.7 days

75 hunger foods could be 2.2 days

150 hunger foods could be 4.4 days

Actually after writing this and trying to make sense of this, the rework might be too much work, and honestly I'm not really sure if this is worth it really... maybe it would be best to keep the picky eater mechanic the same... It was really difficult trying to strike a balance between "too short waits" or "too long waits". I'm not sure how much I like this idea now.

This is likely also not mathematically correct, as I was getting tired of trying to balance this midway.

From what you have provided so far from the rework wouldjust flip the issue by making small foods highly spammable.  Which would be worse because at least with filling foods or meat stews and fresh fruit crepes it was somewhat wasteful to use that as your main diet or not possible 

26 minutes ago, Donke60 said:

From what you have provided so far from the rework wouldjust flip the issue by making small foods highly spammable.  Which would be worse because at least with filling foods or meat stews and fresh fruit crepes it was somewhat wasteful to use that as your main diet or not possible 

Yeah, that's why I believe this is now a bad idea. I guess now I know why Klei chose to make the picky-eater mechanic the way they did. I'll change the main post and put this under a scrapped ideas category. At least with how it is now while you can use meaty stew as a major part of you diet, you'd likely run out meat pretty quickly, so it balances itself out there.

Updated Warly & Wilbur sections with new content. Still can't think of anything for Woodlegs, I thought Walani was gonna be the hard one to think of perks for, but I guess I was wrong. I'm going to later start organizing the different perks better, so that related ones are In the same place.

Well woodlegs keeps his lucky hat ability and if here is near a loot chest give a boost on loot tables and you can make sanity draining items be more harmful

or keep the land part but make the drain severely weaker like 2/min

11 hours ago, Astroknot said:

I thought Walani was gonna be the hard one to think of perks for, but I guess I was wrong. I'm going to later start organizing the different perks better, so that related ones are In the same place.

Snowboard surfing during winter?

1 hour ago, minespatch said:

Snowboard surfing during winter?

I want that- she could slide on the surfboard instead of walk, it would be faster, but would use durability on the surfboard. But that might not make sense though. Ah, whatever, I still want it.

Archived