My suggestion thread(s)

Merging my two suggestion threads

-Craftable suit that would increase the breath time of dupes. 

-A wet suit with flippers that allow dupes to pathfind through open liquid tiles.

-Fully aquatic edibles.

-Pulley / Hydraulic lift

-5X5 Dynamite

-Art made of gold

-Different sculpture/pictures (easy one)

-Furniture painting (decor bonus)

-High capacity gas tanks (5kg+ per tile)

-Upgraded beds / mess

-Anti stress activites (comfy seat, yoga tile)

-Anti stress dessert (Sleetcream cone)

-Rails and cart system / Tunnel drilling device

-Numerical sorting and movement of stored items

-Generator powered by falling/moving water

-Fire

-Combustible materials

-Pulleys cranks levers (some that react with air pressure to go with the combustible gases. Gonna make some pistons)

-Floor vacuum robot (Roomba) 

-Airtight Compactor  (Slime, polluted dirt,bleach stone)

-Cooling/Heated Compactor 

-Liquid/Gas Tanks 

-Pill Press 

--Oxygen Pill alters dupe O2 consumption rate

--Energy Pill decrease fatigue / Increase athletics 

--Focus Pill increase Tinkering Cooking Art

-Chemical Manipulation Machine

--Gold Amal into Gold and Mercury

--Constructs Oxygen and Hydrogen into water

--Turns CO2 into O2 and Carbon

--Turns Carbon and Iron into steel

--Polluted O2 into Natural gas and O2

--Chlorine and Polluted H2O into Chlorine and H20

--Plant matters and H2O into paints

(More ways to mess with the state and composition of materials, it's addictive!)

I'd love to pump liquid gold into a machine to get pure gold blocks back for art and style.

44 minutes ago, Palpetinus said:

So because we can manually do these things we shouldn't have buildings for it?  I don't get that mentality.

So because somebody explained how can it be done with in-game items you assume he's against the suggestion? I don't get that mentality.

1 hour ago, Kasuha said:

So because somebody explained how can it be done with in-game items you assume he's against the suggestion? I don't get that mentality.

"Make a room with an airlock".

How does this not seem condescending to you?

Just now, Palpetinus said:

How does this not seem condescending to you?

Your question does not make sense to me, neither in context of the topic, nor in context of the recent discussion. It feels like you're trying to start a fight.

If you don't like a post, feel free to report it to moderators. Otherwise I think it would be better to discuss what has actually been written, not some unfounded assumptions about it.

To be clear, I am against making buildings for things we can do manually if it's relatively simple to do so and/or without a good reason. I wanted the OP to reply with his/her reasoning for the buildings.

I was just replying in the same format/structure as the OP without much thought to it. So I didn't mean to come out as hostile to the OP.

On 5/19/2017 at 8:05 AM, AlexRou said:

To be clear, I am against making buildings for things we can do manually if it's relatively simple to do so and/or without a good reason. I wanted the OP to reply with his/her reasoning for the buildings.

I was just replying in the same format/structure as the OP without much thought to it. So I didn't mean to come out as hostile to the OP.

The point of airtight compactors would be to allow simple storage of those materials along with the other compactors without requiring special rooms.

Gas and liquid tanks would be able to store much more within themselves than if free in a tile. For instance you could probably pump 40kg of gas in a 4x4 tank. 10kg per tile instead of 2kg.

To justify not having these devices by having the ability to do it manually is like game companies excluding features because the community made mods for them. I don't agree with that.

(trying not to assume you meant that though)

12 hours ago, CantBreathe said:

The point of airtight compactors would be to allow simple storage of those materials along with the other compactors without requiring special rooms.

Gas and liquid tanks would be able to store much more within themselves than if free in a tile. For instance you could probably pump 40kg of gas in a 4x4 tank. 10kg per tile instead of 2kg.

To justify not having these devices by having the ability to do it manually is like game companies excluding features because the community made mods for them. I don't agree with that.

(trying not to assume you meant that though)

The point of games like these is to give players only basic and simple tools and let them make whatever they want. If they gave you buildings that do everything then what is the point of figuring out how the world works and interact with things. The moment you give people those buildings they are going to stop trying to do it manually except maybe the most hardcore players and then they will end up asking for even more buildings because they cannot or will not figure out how the world works and do things manually. And then the point of the game is no longer a sandbox with interesting gas/liquid mechanics and instead becomes something like sim city.

So far your arguments for having those buildings are "it's easier" which shows you are just lazy. If "it's easier" were enough reason for a new building then the whole game would be a idle simulator where the game plays for itself and the only thing the player ever need to do is to click the new game button.

I don't think the things I've asked for are requests to make the game easier. In fact the inclusion of these things would open up the field for experimentation and ingenuity by giving the player more options of managing materials; opposed to being limited to crude make-shift systems. 

Imagine the intricate systems you could make with stored compressed gasses. According to you the game should only provide those basic tools and players should remain limited in their ability to change, move, create, and destroy the physical materials in the game.

5 hours ago, AlexRou said:

The point of games like these is to give players only basic and simple tools and let them make whatever they want. If they gave you buildings that do everything then what is the point of figuring out how the world works and interact with things.

That's not true at all. Players will always explore the world and find new ways to interact with the game. Factorio is a great example.

The moment you give people those buildings they are going to stop trying to do it manually except maybe the most hardcore players and then they will end up asking for even more buildings because they cannot or will not figure out how the world works and do things manually.

How can you speak for everyone? You seem to be underestimating the player. I'm a hardcore player, should I be isolated by simple creative tools?

And then the point of the game is no longer a sandbox with interesting gas/liquid mechanics and instead becomes something like sim city.

Who told you what the point of the game was? Either way the game already includes these interesting gas/liquid mechanics. They arn't going away; they can only be improved.

So far your arguments for having those buildings are "it's easier" which shows you are just lazy. If "it's easier" were enough reason for a new building then the whole game would be a idle simulator where the game plays for itself and the only thing the player ever need to do is to click the new game button.

That's false and rude. Shame.

For only a few days out of Alpha the game already has a dozen+ systems that encourage creativity. The tools we need to manipulate physics are coming. If you're so fundamental about the genre, maybe find a new game.

I won't respond anymore if your tone is aggressive.    

5 minutes ago, CantBreathe said:

I don't think the things I've asked for are requests to make the game easier. In fact the inclusion of these things would open up the field for experimentation and ingenuity by giving the player more options of managing materials; opposed to being limited to crude make-shift systems. 

5 minutes ago, CantBreathe said:

How can you speak for everyone? You seem to be underestimating the player. I'm a hardcore player, should I be isolated by simple creative tools?

I think it is you who are overestimating the player. Whenever you give players a choice between doing it manually or plopping a building, they will almost surely go to plop a building unless plopping a building is not as good as doing it manually. It is human nature to follow the path of least resistance.

Also if you can do exactly the same thing manually then how is adding a building any less limiting?

39 minutes ago, CantBreathe said:

Imagine the intricate systems you could make with stored compressed gasses.

For the gas/liquid storage I rather they improve the simulation so that they don't take forever to go into the pump when the pressure is low. Other than that, you can build exactly the same systems as you could with those buildings.

11 minutes ago, CantBreathe said:

That's not true at all. Players will always explore the world and find new ways to interact with the game. Factorio is a great example.

I actually own factorio, and I always end up using robots and be a lazy ass about building my base. The moment you have robots, there is little to no incentive to plan out a proper belt/train system and make it efficient since the robots solve it for you. 

8 minutes ago, CantBreathe said:

Who told you what the point of the game was? Either way the game already includes these interesting gas/liquid mechanics. They arn't going away; they can only be improved.

Not really, if you add too many buildings that do too much for you then those mechanics becomes less important to the game. 

Just now, CantBreathe said:

I'll just have to respect your opinion here and accept that we don't agree.

Same, this was bound to happen to any game with a invested enough community. Hope someone else agrees with your ideas. I'll unsub so it will stop pinging me.

Archived