How to make a follower?

I'm trying to essentially make a bernie, but one that can actually attack mobs. How would one go about it? and how would you be able to make it so that theres a sanity drain when it dies/when it's far away? I"m at a loss of where to start. Do I need to redo a character template just with the bear? what do I need to do?

1 hour ago, Pinkiceygirl said:

I'm trying to essentially make a bernie, but one that can actually attack mobs. How would one go about it? and how would you be able to make it so that theres a sanity drain when it dies/when it's far away? I"m at a loss of where to start. Do I need to redo a character template just with the bear? what do I need to do?

Well u could take a look @ the bernie_active.lua and bernie_inactive.lua  under :
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Don't Starve Together\data\scripts\prefabs

That should give u a start atleast. I Wish i could help more but maybe someone can give u a more detailed answer Good Luck.

I wouldn't know of anything about sanity drain when it dies or when its far away, but like lumina said you'll need to create a stategraph, brain, its own lua file and for the spriter project its complicated. If you plan on using a character template for the follower you'll limit yourself to a character stategraph, meaning that follower will only do character animations only and won't be able to do other stategraph animations like the pigman happy emote or the dragonfly ground smash if that clears things up. For the brains theres some more freedom if you can program it right, you can use different brain functions like the shadow puppets, pigmen, bunnymen, and some other ones. I would go into more detail but I don't know what exactly you want to do, and it'll be quite a headache if you want to continue making a follower.

6 hours ago, Pinkiceygirl said:

Yes it is in fact my first mod, however I'm not just gonna give up bc it's hard or something. I just need a bit of direction.

No, i'm sorry but no, you don't need just a bit of direction, because you already got it.

On 17/05/2017 at 6:23 AM, Deathlord Avon said:

Well u could take a look @ the bernie_active.lua and bernie_inactive.lua  under :
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Don't Starve Together\data\scripts\prefabs

17 hours ago, Lumina said:

as far as i know you need to modify some things like stategraph, brain, and probably the spriter project.

There are a bit of direction. Meaning you need more. This is understandable, because modding is hard when you start, and you need more than "a bit of direction" to start.

And the problem is : i'm unable to provide it, and i guess multiple people in forum here are also unable to provide it, because as far as i can tell, knowledge about how to create custom monster and behaviour isn't common. So, except if someone very generous feels like he can help you, this "bit of direction" you got here is all you'll have.

(And i fear that someone helping you will do most of the job here since you can't really help with basics)

So even if it's hard to hear, i would suggest that you learn how mods work first and start with something easier. I know how it feel, to have an idea and being unable to do it, or to have to wait and learn before being able to make some things. I'm still in this situation, often.

But if you don't learn some basics, a bit of direction will never be enough.

Um. Okay then. I was just being playful in saying that and you took it to the extreme it seems. I understood what he was saying. I was already looking into it and what he said even beforehand. I wanted some confirmation. Literally like I said I just needed little bit of direction and that was a bit of a typo and meant to say "needed" you seriously didn't need to send all of that. That was very rude that you made all of those assumptions of me. I'm not here to just mooch off someone else. This whole time i've been data mining hence why I haven't even replied to this thread in days. If anything you have discouraged me from ever asking for any help or posting in here on these forums again. I didn't come here for a lecture. Thanks.

I'm not giving a lecture, i'm just giving a fair warning about how difficult this kind of modding could be, the same i would give to anyone wanting to start modding with something that hard and complex.

If this warning discourage you to ask for help again, i'm sorry to hear that. But since you just said you will not give up this mod even if it's hard, maybe you shouldn't give up asking for help because you don't like people warning you, too. Especially since you did a mistake that could lead to a misunderstanding.

Good luck anyway.

It is very clear how difficult this task would be. I am very aware and don't need any reminders thank you. I clearly said it myself that I was aware of how hard it was going to be rendering all of that very unnecessary on your part. I also said that it discouraged me from asking for help on these forums. Not all together. And it's not about a warning. It's about how rude it came off as. (As I've shown my friends in the community and they've agreed.) but whatever. 

I recommend using the smallbird coding as a base for a follower, rather than Abigail or Chester. If you'd like to message me I can do my best to help you with that, though I'm a bit new to coding myself I have successfully made a sort of follower.