Totally useless items OR just alternative to something

I suppose we can all more or less agree, that the items that need a buff are the insulated pack, and night lights.

The insulated pack is a boss item and as such, compared to all the other boss items that can be made, it seems rather weak. Even before you can defeat bee queen and get access to bundling wraps, as it was mentioned earlier, you are more likely to be able to make fridges across key places that will do the job better. I suppose the insulated pack should be at least regular backpack sized, and fireproof, to be a somewhat decent replacement of a backpack.

Regarding night lights, I agree that it is rarely built beyond for decorative purposes. There are cheaper ways to get light and much better uses for nightmare fuel at this point. Even a maglum for each player will do better. There have been suggestions around this, the one  I liked the most was turning the night lights to have a fuel tank like flingomatics, and make them work in a way that when turned on, they will fire up upon getting to a certaind radius of them, much like how maxwell lights used to work, saving fuel if nobody is around them (and durong those long summer days you can just turn them off)

there is already a topic about the night light and some great ideas for improving, maybe someone can link it.

rain coat is the best item in spring when you dont got the eye from deerclops. you dont have to wear it all the time, just use it to dry off quickly, its perfect. 

imo the most useless item is stingers.. you end up with so many stacks after a short while.

same with blue gems.. terrible in late game. 

2 hours ago, Renegade_Doll said:

Bat Bat, - Takes forever to make, barely any uses. 0/10

With it's current amount of uses it can restore a total of 510 health. That's higher then the max health of every character (including a fully upgraded WX). "Barely any uses" seems like a bad criticism to me. Now the sanity drain or cost to make on the other hand seem like fair complaints.

So as for ideas to buff the items that are commonly considered "useless", here are my ideas:

* Dapper Vest - 3.3 sanity per minute > 6.67 sanity per minute (Tam O' Shanter level)

* Rain Hat - 70% water protection > 90/80% water protection, maybe give it a sanity aura?

* Bat Bat - 5x Bat Wings, 2x Living Logs, 1x purple gem and 75 durability > 4x Bat Wings, 4x Twigs/1x Living Log, 2x/1x purple gem and 100 durability

* Pick/Axe - Buff it to be twice at efficient at work instead of just 33% better, this way its comparable to the Obsidian Axe, and I guess you could buff its crafting cost if it seems to overpowered, maybe make it sap sanity or something, although doing that can be considered buffing it further...

* Insulated Pack - Give it the ability to regulate your characters temperature depending on what season it is; I think it should be Rabbit Earmuffs/Fashion Melon level as that would be a good enough value to have it still be a help but not outright replace insulating clothing and thermal stones. Also make it fire-proof. It still wouldn't be an amazing item, but it should be good enough for use at least before you beat Bee Queen and get bundling wraps.

8 minutes ago, Astroknot said:

* Bat Bat - 5x Bat Wings, 2x Living Logs, 1x purple gem and 75 durability > 4x Bat Wings, 4x Twigs/1x Living Log, 2x/1x purple gem and 100 durability

I don't really think a cheaper recipe and more uses will make it more useful. Personally, I think the recipe, uses, damage, ect. are fine, but the sanity drain could be lowered just a bit. Then it might be worth actually using during boss fights.

31 minutes ago, Sinister_Fang said:

I don't really think a cheaper recipe and more uses will make it more useful. Personally, I think the recipe, uses, damage, ect. are fine, but the sanity drain could be lowered just a bit. Then it might be worth actually using during boss fights.

I just googled this item, cause I never used it

IT REQUIRES A PURPLE GEM AND DOES LESS DAMAGE THAN A TENTACLE SPIKE. 

The leeching health mechanic is pretty useful, but I´m not wasting a purple gem. 

Just now, TheKingofSquirrels said:

I just googled this item, cause I never used.

IT REQUIRES A PURPLE GEM AND DOES LESS DAMAGE THAN A TENTACLE SPIKE. 

The leeching health mechanic is pretty useful, but I´m not wasting a purple gem. 

It's not that hard to get a purple gem... and let's be honest, no one really uses them much outside of shadow manipulators anyway.

Also, the damage isn't it's primary use. It's to heal while still fighting and dealing some damage. And it's only 8.5 less damage then a tentacle spike. So you're not even missing all that much when you compare it to a spike.

On 5/16/2017 at 11:10 AM, Apchi said:

Hi there!

I would like to discuss few items in Don't Starve Together. Do you think they are totally useless (why:expensive, replacing backpack, any other reason) or, somehow, they can be useful in some situations. Otherwise, what would you change or improve to make you to give them a chance. Do they need any changes or the items were implemented just for fun?

• Night Light,
  • Rain Hat, 
  • Rain Coat,
  • Ice Cube,
  • Feather Hat,
  • Fashion Melon,
  • Dapper West,
  • Bat Bat,
  • Telelocator things,
  • PickAxe(from ruins),
  • Hibearnation Vest,
  • Insulated Pack,
  • Summer frest,
  • Your Option.

I'm just disappointed that I never seen anyone would craft any of listed items. Some of them are really cool and "cool" like Ice Cube and Watermelon, for example. I crafted most part of them only once - out of interest. And second time - to be sure I don't need them :D .

Please add information if you are using slots mods like BackPack+Armor slots especially.

I've never used the Night Light, but I've never had to.  I generally just use torches and Lanterns later on.  

So much yes to Rain Hat and Rain Coat.  My brother used to make rain coats and it would bother me to no end.  I'm like, "you know you can just make an umbrella and straw hat right?  Like, the umbrella and straw hat would have a double use for Spring AND Summer."  

Ice cubes and Fashion Melons are horrible.  You get wetness, and the coolness points aren't worth it.  I generally just use an umbrella and straw hat since it doubles for both spring and summer.

I generally just use top hats and cooked green mushrooms for sanity.  I also use Siesta Leon-to, straw roll, and tent.  Though Dapper Vests aren't so bad.  They aren't hard to make, and they do give a lot of sanity.

Hibearnation Vest and Insulated Pack is useless since I generally just make a Winter hat and have a thermal stone.  Later on, I'll go for a Beefalo hat and thermal stone.

2 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

In my opinion, I find the Bat Bat a great idea for a weapon, but has a poorly thought out crafting recipe & durability count. The thing cost me 5 bat wings, which already aren't super easy to come by if luck isn't on your side, 2 Living Logs, which I could be using to make two of an infinitely better weapon, the Dark Sword, and 1 purple gem, which are easy to get late-game but can be a struggle early-mid game.

Basically, its a weapon with a high material cost, with horrible durability. I see two ways to fix this;

1. Lower the Bat Bat's cost and keep the durability the same. Or...

2. Keep the recipe the same, and buff the durability (and perhaps lower the sanity loss)

Either of these would make the item worth it in my opinion. Though I'd also like that if they went with method two they'd change it to just costing 1 living log instead of two, and with method one I'd like the crafting recipe I pointed out in my previous post of 4x Bat Wings, 4x Twigs,1x purple gem.

Beside Night Light (that's too expensive to maintain on in normal conditions) and Pick/Axe (again too expensive for what you get in return), all mentioned items have their fair use and seen enough people in public servers doing so.

I seldom render mentioned goods, yet some are ok alternatives for when main isn't available: Dapper Vest + Top Hat for lack of Tam o', Rain Coat for Eyebrella etc.

PS: I'm probably one of the few who actually build Night Lights... just to have them in base for aesthetic purpose.

On 5/16/2017 at 8:02 PM, GhostPhreak said:

It's not that the items are useless, it's that YOU are useless to the items :^)

Why are you so rude? I made this list not just because I don't use them. It's based on my experience in DST. I have a lot of hours and most part of items from the list I never met in game. Also in youtube videos, twitch streams, screenshots, public servers etc...

I agree that part of items have unique theoretical application, but do players really use them? That's the question.

Maybe bee mines could be added to this list? I do think that the insulated pack should have the same number of slots as a regular pack. The fur IS a boss drop and right now hardly anyone uses them.

Personally, I never ever use a tent or sleeping bag.

On 5/16/2017 at 9:10 AM, Apchi said:
  • Night Light, Useless as every aspect it offers is easily outclassed
  • Rain Hat, Not Useless, people without eyebrellas tend to use these as they stop wetness well
  • Rain Coat, Same thing
  • Ice Cube, Also good if you don't have an eyebrella
  • Feather Hat, Good for putting bird traps into hyperdrive
  • Fashion Melon, Silly and easy to make in summer for heat avoiding
  • Dapper Vest, Useless (Other items will outclass it)
  • Bat Bat, Useless as health isn't too hard to comeby for less sanity cost (potentially useful for nightmare farming)
  • Telelocator things, Not useless, able to move animals and mobs into pens for petting zoos (or if you dont wanna deal with certain things)
  • PickAxe(from ruins), Useless as it breaks too easily to be considered a useful tool
  • Hibearnation Vest, Not Useless as it is the warmest item in-game(if i remember correctly) and slows hunger by 25%, while restoring enough sanity to outdo nighttime insanity (Perfect for winter caving, or if you're low on food in winter and dont mind sacrificing whatever other body slot you have)
  • Insulated Pack, Useless, too few slots for such a late game item + food preservation on the go is a joke now with bundling wrap
  • Summer frest, Useless as the floral shirt outdoes it and is easier to get the resources for
  • Your Option. Useless

hibernation vest is not useful? only good if ready to sacrifice body slot during winter? i worn it even at summer last time because of beautiful rng that includes 1 walrus camp and bad luck. [freeing the chest slot brings a lot of new possibilities in general]

also telestaff good for wx [top use for klaus gem farm], it's like musthave for single\non-wicker parties

Defeating Bee Queen is a bit tougher than Bearger, but once you beat Bee Queen you can build unlimited bundling wraps.  Since the insulated pack requires the boss loot, it's more limited to build - why not just make it stop the spoilage completely like the bundling wrap?  It would then have advantages as being easier to juggle food in / out of as compared to bundling wrap, and easier to get 1 in a game, but still have limitations of contained slots and take the back equipment slot so there is some trade off compared to a standard backpack and bundling wraps.

I bet people would appreciate and use the insulated pack if it came with that mechanic.

As for the night light - I really like the recommendation to make it a proximity activated light that you fuel up like a flingo.  This seems really interesting to me, and I'd definitely build them around my base.

In general I agree with this list.  I've never used any of these, except ice cube and feather hat.  I play only solo, so I pretty much always have an eyebrella, cane, tam, ect as I play so my opinion is a bit skewed but things like the insulated pack, nightlight, bat bat ect I've never used.  I often just leave the Thick Fur in a chest forever...

4 hours ago, Apchi said:

Why are you so rude? I made this list not just because I don't use them. It's based on my experience in DST. I have a lot of hours and most part of items from the list I never met in game. Also in youtube videos, twitch streams, screenshots, public servers etc...

I agree that part of items have unique theoretical application, but do players really use them? That's the question.

Huh?

I wasn't being rude. I was just using a dumb mind fk reply.

Didn't you see the troll face? " :^) "

5 hours ago, Rellimarual said:

Maybe bee mines could be added to this list?

I forgot that was even a thing...

7 hours ago, Astroknot said:

In my opinion, I find the Bat Bat a great idea for a weapon, but has a poorly thought out crafting recipe & durability count. The thing cost me 5 bat wings, which already aren't super easy to come by if luck isn't on your side, 2 Living Logs, which I could be using to make two of an infinitely better weapon, the Dark Sword, and 1 purple gem, which are easy to get late-game but can be a struggle early-mid game.

Basically, its a weapon with a high material cost, with horrible durability. I see two ways to fix this;

1. Lower the Bat Bat's cost and keep the durability the same. Or...

2. Keep the recipe the same, and buff the durability (and perhaps lower the sanity loss)

Either of these would make the item worth it in my opinion. Though I'd also like that if they went with method two they'd change it to just costing 1 living log instead of two, and with method one I'd like the crafting recipe I pointed out in my previous post of 4x Bat Wings, 4x Twigs,1x purple gem.

Well like I said earlier, the bat bat can restore a total of 510 health (at the cost of 255 sanity in total). That seems to be more then enough to me (That's higher then even a fully upgraded WX). So increasing the durability will only increase the health restored. And that seems unnecessary with how much it can restore already. Now if it still restored up to 510 health in total, but got more uses, then I guess I'd be fine with that. Although that might hurt it's usefulness more seeing as it would heal less health per hit. I just find the sanity drain to be what cripples it's usefulness. I mean it's not like it's too hard to just bring healing foods/items instead. Won't lose sanity that way, but you'll still get your health back.

The recipe also seems fine to me. 5 bat wings isn't too hard to obtain. Especially if you've got caves enabled. Find some bat caves and you'll be drowning in wings (and guano) in no time. If not, then wander around to every open sinkhole at dawn/dusk. You should have enough time to get 5. Except maybe in the summer when dusk and night are rather short. The 2 living logs seems ok. I tend to end up with way more then I ever use anyway (and I use dark swords almost exclusively once I get a manipulator). And the one purple gem just makes it more of an endgame thing. I mean it's tier 2 magic already, so it's pretty much locked behind mid to endgame anyway.

16 hours ago, Rellimarual said:

Maybe bee mines could be added to this list?

Actually, I use them to solo the Ancient Guardian. I usually catch around 40-60 bees, make a few bee mines and let them free in the Guardian's area. It's quite effective, fast and safe (for me at least, as I can't kite the it yet).

But beside this it is true that bee mines aren't often used. 

26 minutes ago, fimmatek said:

Actually, I use them to solo the Ancient Guardian. I usually catch around 40-60 bees, make a few bee mines and let them free in the Guardian's area. It's quite effective, fast and safe (for me at least, as I can't kite the it yet).

But beside this it is true that bee mines aren't often used. 

I have one reason why you shouldn't waste your time getting bee mines for AG...

Gravestones

Have bad luck and some gravestones don't spawn next to each other so you can cheese him? Okay use your bee mine strat otherwise seems pointless to do the beemine trick if you can get him stuck between gravestones and solo kill him that way.

8 hours ago, GiddyGuy said:

Gravestones

Actually, I know about this method, however I still couldn't perfect my skills to kite it well enough (even with this cheese). So till I learn how to do it properly, I still use this method some now and then ;)

3 hours ago, Destros09 said:

I finally found it, the farm nerf

I remember I gave  A suggestion like that along time ago after this of course I think it was on one of @EuedeAdodooedoe  threads. Though looking at the developers responses it looks like they really liked it which probably means they considered it and since they didn't add it they must've held back for some reason which I can understand a little bit

Archived