Noob stories

Describe your time as a new player in this thread.

In the past, I was a complete permanoob. I rarely explored more than 3 biomes of the map before building a base, and I would never survive without beefalo. I sought them out so that I could rush the Alchemy Engine and start making advanced farms as fast as possible. Because of my frustration with not finding beefalo quickly, I would sometimes resort to changing the world settings and increasing the amount of beefalo. I didn't really consider this cheating, and while I learned many of the game's crafting recipes, I failed to actually play the game effectively. My greatest achievement was speedrunning advanced farmplots. My record was 4 farms by day 2.

Only after reluctantly buying the Reign of Giants DLC (several months after it came out), I began to finally appreciate the benefits of early-game exploration, and the use of food sources other than farms. 

So, what are your noob stories?

One of my first experiences playing involved me chopping down only three trees and spawning a treeguard, to then get two shot by it because I did not know anything about kiting. I heavily relied on the ol' rabbit traps strat, and always based in a savanna with plenty of holes. Similarly, if I didn't find beefalo I was pretty much doomed and at one point resorted to playing as Wigfrid in a world with beefalo set to lots. I pretty much always had smoldering off, treeguards off, and even lightning off. I always saw the magic stuff to be end game and not once did I put in the effort to make anything magic related. In fact, it wasn't until DST that I actually crafted my first shadow manipulator... I often got bored because I was too scared to do anything dangerous and risk my world, so I often stopped playing and felt like resetting.

The biggest mistake I've ever made was to go explore wiki after a few deaths. I found wiki very helpful, but now I think it'd be better if I tried to find out everything by myself. I'm so sad because of this.

So I don't have many noob stories, even though I'd like to.

I lived an entire winter on eating bunnies until Krampus came and stole my stuff and vanished. Shortly after that Deerclops came and I was angry that another jerk was coming into my base and destroyed it, so I attacked him. End of story

I set the walrus camp to lots because I didn't know you could repair the tam and I wanted as many as possible. I was playing as Webber and created warzones all around my base. I didn't last long.

First time playing DS series was DST first for me, played with a friend who had an obsession with mods (not a good way to learn how the game works as a beginner imo). had trouble surviving and figuring out what was a mod and what was normal content.

17 minutes ago, jantonio said:

First time playing DS series was DST first for me, played with a friend who had an obsession with mods (not a good way to learn how the game works as a beginner imo). had trouble surviving and figuring out what was a mod and what was normal content.

I met this person that thought you could change characters using P normally (mod) and he started as Webber, so he died to all of the pigs because he couldn't kite or change to another character

Brought a koelephant to a base. People thought it was my pet. I convinced them to kill it (we tanked the damage cause kiting was an unknown word to us).

Brought a second koelephant thinking "Hey we tanked one easy peasy, so let's get some more meat!" 

It killed EVERYONE. So yeah 4 people including me. Also guess what? We didn't know about rollbacks either :D so server reset. 

18 hours ago, KoreanWaffles said:

One of my earliest playthroughs with my friends involved me opening an icebox trap on the first day of winter.

Oh the memories

I don't get it, that's the perfect time to open the trap

-Making base in beefalo base

-Make base in maxwell trap (beefalo grave)

-Making no lightning rod

-No stocking food

The most popular : Not making fire at night ')'

All my mistakes , and the one that made me flame the most (definitly flaming) was killing a fire hound in my base when i reached summer after LOTS of practicing.

ALL of us have been noobs at a certain point.  Though some of us are willing to learn to play the game.

MY personal noob moments:

- "A mandrake?  Meh.  I'll just skip over it.  It can't be that important."

- "Oh a mutated pig!  Maybe this one will protect me from the hounds!"  *proceeds to get chased by the hounds and merms*

- "I should totally set the bee box as close to my base as possible."

Those were the only mistakes I can think of at the moment.  I'm generally cautious, so I don't cause too much trouble.  Though my brother has his fair share of troubles.  XD!

Used veggies (carrots, blue/green carps) for Ratatouille.

Died by frog (singular) when first played the game.. and kinda raged (Shame! Shame!) towards my friend that gifted me DST.

But really there are too many WTF/newbie moments (Shame! Shame!) to list, heh!

This topic... I love it! I'm still a noob, but I'm slowly learning, haha. Some memories when I started:

- joined a server where was winter...
- joined a server where was spring and also nighttime, didn't know you can froze to death during night at spring...
- died at least five times to Deerclops on the same day (I was playing with a friend on my own server, we agreed to set the touch stones to a lot)
- set the numbers of beefalos more and built a base on the savannah... (my friend: why have the beefalos red butt? oh, sh*t... run!)
- once I was Wendy and didn't know much about Abigail, I thought she could kill easily 5-6 merms... well, I didn't know ghost could die and I felt terrible about it, also I thought I lost her forever until some other player find her flower and brought it back to me
- I was low on health and was close to die by starvation, so I grabbed the first thing I find in the icebox: monster lasagna... this was so far the stupidiest way I died
- we mined rocks for days, to build a wall around the base... ya'know, protection from hounds...
- we didn't know that log suit and football helmet can actually protect you from hounds...
- my friend like to play as Wickerbottom, neither of us knew about her books until we saw someone else using it... we were into the game at least two months at that point... (I even called Wickerbottom a piece of crap, I was so wrong)
- we built a base at pig village, during full moon I went to explore while my friend was low on sanity so went to sleep on a straw roll... we knew about werepigs, we just simply forgot about they even exists...
- we had ice flingomatic early... we didn't know it needs fuel...

A lot of my noob stories relate to @Brikelz and another friend that doesn't use the forums. We found this game during the Steam Summer sale and had a lot of fun in the beginning, like...

- Me first playing as Wilson and Brikelz as Webber. Other friend picked the robot because "he was cute" (I considered Wigfrid at first, my experiences would've been so different if I picked her...)

- Brik tanking through Charlie the first night while I died, since Webber has 175 health, he could survive at 25 health, and proceeding to stalk him as a ghost

- Me thinking fish was the ultimate source of food

- Screaming at Brik to shave his beard for silk

- Screaming when Deerclops came to our camp, and then disabled him in the next world

- First learning about the crockpot and never realizing that berries were acceptable as filler

- Never using armor because "armor's for p**sys"

- Other friend picking MAXWELL (worst decision he could've ever made considering how bad he STILL is at the game)

- Me realizing how cool Wickerbottom is yet never even seen a Tam 'O Shanter before (seriously Wickerbottom is easy mode with this hat)

etc etc. Basically the newbie experience with DST was one of my greatest memories with them, and I'm glad I got to experience it. :^)

Friend comes home (in real life)

Me: "Hey lemme show you something new I made in DST!! Bunnymen vs spiders farm!!"

Then I walked into the farm while carrying meat. Lost the world in front of my friend in my new fancy farm.

1 hour ago, mochilo said:

Friend comes home (in real life)

Me: "Hey lemme show you something new I made in DST!! Bunnymen vs spiders farm!!"

Then I walked into the farm while carrying meat. Lost the world in front of my friend in my new fancy farm.

That sounds absolutely redonkulous.

Archived