A "storage mob" that ships items between players.

I´m putting this on this forum cause it's more of a wild idea.

I find often that players will needs a certain item, but they are on the other side of the map and having to make my way to them is such a pain.

So I wanted to suggest a method of transporting items between players across distances, kind of like a messenger pigeon. So I thought maybe you could introduce Packim Baggims from Shipwrecked into DST, or some new "storage mob", or maybe a skill that Chester can learn. So basically you fill it with items and then you send it off to the player of your choosing. They receive it and then can send something back in return. 

To be clear, this would not be teleporting items. The mob would have to physically travel; so say it comes across another player on its journey, it's in danger of being looted. However, if it's a bird like creature (that´s why I thought of Packim), it could fly over oceans.

Also, maybe if Scrolls can be update so you can write on them, you could send secret messages between each other across distances. 

I feel like teleportation of that sort, a traveling messenger/storage pigeon, takes away from some of the essential resource-management of the game. Groups of people should already be coordinating how to gather and use their supplies, and potentially be punished for not working together. The fact that it's "a pain" is an inherent part of that. Teamwork takes effort and efficiency and coordination beyond just what a single person wants. Sometimes there are sacrifices for the greater good.   

In singleplayer, we could feed items into wormholes to make them travel over the distance - does anyone know if this still works in DST, and if Bundling Wraps can be fed into them? I haven't tried yet since I've only ever utilized that function in an emergency. We also have the Lazy Deserter in DST, enabling our character to teleport and essentially drop off our entire inventory *wherever*, if wormhole feeding isn't sufficient.   

Worse comes to worse, tell the person who needs what you have to meet you halfway at a landmark. Pig King, the firepit in the savannah, edge of the swamp, etc. I've done that many a time for someone who forgot to bring food, or needs twigs, or whatever. 

I like the idea of secret messages/scrolls, it's fun, but feel like it may be a bit of overkill. We already have a lot of outside/non-DST resources to chat privately with people.

6 hours ago, imsomony said:

I feel like teleportation of that sort, a traveling messenger/storage pigeon, takes away from some of the essential resource-management of the game. Groups of people should already be coordinating how to gather and use their supplies, and potentially be punished for not working together. The fact that it's "a pain" is an inherent part of that. Teamwork takes effort and efficiency and coordination beyond just what a single person wants. Sometimes there are sacrifices for the greater good.   

In singleplayer, we could feed items into wormholes to make them travel over the distance - does anyone know if this still works in DST, and if Bundling Wraps can be fed into them? I haven't tried yet since I've only ever utilized that function in an emergency. We also have the Lazy Deserter in DST, enabling our character to teleport and essentially drop off our entire inventory *wherever*, if wormhole feeding isn't sufficient.   

Worse comes to worse, tell the person who needs what you have to meet you halfway at a landmark. Pig King, the firepit in the savannah, edge of the swamp, etc. I've done that many a time for someone who forgot to bring food, or needs twigs, or whatever. 

I think everything you just said is completely valid. That´s why I posted this here, and not in the main forum.

6 hours ago, imsomony said:

I like the idea of secret messages/scrolls, it's fun, but feel like it may be a bit of overkill. We already have a lot of outside/non-DST resources to chat privately with people.

I would love if you could train crows to send messages, Game of Thrones style. Maybe it´s a bit pointless when we have other means, but there´s plenty of times that I´ve needed to contact someone who I didn´t have as a Steam contact. 

Also, it´s nice not to have to go out of the game if I wanted to privately message someone.

Archived