[Energy Source Idea] Gravity Generator.

Basically, it works on the same principle as an old clock where falling down weight is turning wheels thus generating energy. Actually, there is a system like that called "Gravity Light". I think it would be a good option for issues with power and lack of duplicates to manage Manual Generator. For balance sake, it would generate let's say 1/2 of an MG power but wouldn't require constant management like MG and it would require a lot more space than MG to build so building a lot of them would Req. a lot of space.

Drawing

Fun concept, but wheel plus battery exists...

Nevertheless, this raises the idea of other kind of power storage solutions - like flywheels.

But it still leaves the usual problem of games: when there are several options to something (in this case: store energy) the player usually will pick the most easy/efficient/scaleable one and stick to it. So unless you force the player to start with one kind of (relatively ineffective) method and delay the 'better' ones with timegates (research, material availabliity)... only larpers will build different kinds.

Taking a look at batteries: does anyone ever build small ones after the big ones are available?

12 minutes ago, Masterpintsman said:

Taking a look at batteries: does anyone ever build small ones after the big ones are available?

Small ones are more concentrated source of heat if you need to heat up a room without spending power. :D

1 hour ago, Masterpintsman said:

I was refering to the use for energy storage, not to side effects that exploit broken mechanics.

Yeah but that's the same for batteries and flywheels. Either there is a technological barrier (so you need one to get access to the other) or there's no point for the less efficient to be present.

Edit:if heat generation was removed from batteries, small battery would be actually still viable for designs where you don't need that much stored energy and want to save space instead. Serious reason to switch to large battery is the heat production.

5 hours ago, Masterpintsman said:

MG is generator + wheel.

For MG to work you need a dup. to operate it and that's actually an issue when you need a lot of power or you don't have duplicants to run it. Coal runs of quite fast and currently most people have issues with it. Hydrogen is a mostly ineffective/not reliable source of power (at least for now). 

You shouldn't dismiss ideas simply because they operate on the similar principle as other technology in the game.

33 minutes ago, Jinxter said:

You shouldn't dismiss ideas simply because they operate on the similar principle as other technology in the game.

Don't take it as if we're dismissing your ideas, deciding what's a good idea is ultimately up to the devs and they do read the forums. You share your idea, we share our opinion on it. If a dev likes it, he'll not care about our criticism. And if he doesn't like it, he'll dismiss it quietly even if you get a hundred likes.

We're going to get a brand new energy source when EA goes out. Some hints can be found in the last Klei Twitch stream and more will be I believe in the next one. And in my opinion it will be far more useful and reliable than what's in the game right now.

26 minutes ago, Kasuha said:

Don't take it as if we're dismissing your ideas, deciding what's a good idea is ultimately up to the devs and they do read the forums. You share your idea, we share our opinion on it. If a dev likes it, he'll not care about our criticism. And if he doesn't like it, he'll dismiss it quietly even if you get a hundred likes.

We're going to get a brand new energy source when EA goes out. Some hints can be found in the last Klei Twitch stream and more will be I believe in the next one. And in my opinion it will be far more useful and reliable than what's in the game right now.

What we say have some impact on what developers will do. People have a right to post their opinion about other people ideas same as people have a right to respond to an argument against their ideas especially when someone post arguments like " but wheel plus battery exists " ;) By his logic cars shouldn't exist :D 

Just now, Jinxter said:

arguments like " but wheel plus battery exists " ;) By his logic cars shouldn't exist :D 

Personally I agree with Masterpintsman here that hamster wheel + battery is pretty much the same means of producing/sustaining power as what you propose. It's essentially dupe time turned to power with no other inputs. How much time it takes and how much power it gives is matter of balancing.

43 minutes ago, Kasuha said:

Personally I agree with Masterpintsman here that hamster wheel + battery is pretty much the same means of producing/sustaining power as what you propose. It's essentially dupe time turned to power with no other inputs. How much time it takes and how much power it gives is matter of balancing.

And I already said that MG Req. Dup to operate it all the time to generate power which is fine when you start the game because of power Req. is low. Later both coal and hydrogen are not reliable and there should be another type of power source which allows the player to sustain their colony without Dup's running all the time on MG. Gravity generator is a compromise which fits very well between MG and CG.

I hope your next comment will contain some valid argument in it because "we have a wheel, therefore, we don't need another wheel" isn't anywhere near being constructive, nor helpful.

You can extract 400W continuous power from a duplicant, in case you want your contraption to deliver 200W but won't require constant management then you should specify what is actually ment by this.

Build a Wheel plus Battery and draw 200W from that combo and you'll notice that it also dosn't require a constantly running duplicant.

9 minutes ago, Masterpintsman said:

You can extract 400W continuous power from a duplicant, in case you want your contraption to deliver 200W but won't require constant management then you should specify what is actually ment by this.

Build a Wheel plus Battery and draw 200W from that combo and you'll notice that it also dosn't require a constantly running duplicant.

What you say is true ONLY when power consumption is low. Sure Dup can charge a battery and leave MG but after colony reaches a certain size and power consumption reaches X level none of existing power sources is effective on its own. Many people fail to build long lasting colony because of ineffective power sources which either Req. a lot of resources which are sparse as the game is progressing or Req. constant Dup attention which in the end leads to other issues.

45 minutes ago, Jinxter said:

I hope your next comment will contain some valid argument in it

Well, rather than us dismissing your proposal, I think we have a case of you dismissing our arguments on it without giving them a second thought. I don't really mind, I'm happy with how I did my part. And as I wrote before, it's the devs who is the ultimate judge here.

1 minute ago, Kasuha said:

Well, rather than us dismissing your proposal, I think we have a case of you dismissing our arguments on it without giving them a second thought. I don't really mind, I'm happy with how I did my part. And as I wrote before, it's the devs who is the ultimate judge here.

Ohh really because the first answer to this idea was "Fun concept, but wheel plus battery exists..." which essentially is "we have a wheel, therefore, we don't need another wheel". Last time I've checked humanity didn't stop building generators simply because first one was using rotating wheel as a part of the concept. Why would anyone abandon the idea because rotating wheel is transferring energy? That's just stupid. Give me valid argument other than "because we already have the wheel" and then talk about people dismissing your arguments.

11 hours ago, Jinxter said:

Ohh really because the first answer to this idea was "Fun concept, but wheel plus battery exists..." which essentially is "we have a wheel, therefore, we don't need another wheel". Last time I've checked humanity didn't stop building generators simply because first one was using rotating wheel as a part of the concept. Why would anyone abandon the idea because rotating wheel is transferring energy? That's just stupid. Give me valid argument other than "because we already have the wheel" and then talk about people dismissing your arguments.

This has nothing to do with the fact that both are wheels. What we're asking you is what reason there is to build one instead of M.Generator+battery from a gameplay perspective. Think about it, if one G.Generator generates half the power for half the time investment then that means building two of them is the same thing as building one M.Generator+battery, except it costs many times more space and materials.

That is unless you intended for G.Generator to have some other stats, say more than half of M.Generator's power generation or less than half of it's time investment, but if that was what you wanted originally, then I don't see why you couldn't have just said that instead of getting all defensive just because someone didn't immediately agree with you. This is a forum, if you can't handle feedback then why are you posting here?

I like this idea simply because I find myself in a lot of situations where I build a pump, a MG and a tiny battery for a pump that runs just every now and then. Even with just 100W generation I still would find use for it.

9 hours ago, Cyberboy2000 said:

This has nothing to do with the fact that both are wheels.

Nothing to do with the fact that both are wheels... sure... umm "

On 7.05.2017 at 10:49 AM, Masterpintsman said:

Yea sure keep talking xD

9 hours ago, Cyberboy2000 said:

What we're asking you is what reason there is to build one instead of M.Generator+battery from a gameplay perspective. Think about it, if one G.Generator generates half the power for half the time investment then that means building two of them is the same thing as building one M.Generator+battery, except it costs many times more space and materials.

That is unless you intended for G.Generator to have some other stats, say more than half of M.Generator's power generation or less than half of it's time investment, but if that was what you wanted originally, then I don't see why you couldn't have just said that instead of getting all defensive just because someone didn't immediately agree with you. This is a forum, if you can't handle feedback then why are you posting here?

Do you realise I said it can generate half of MG power just as rough idea? In fact, it can generate as much as you need for sake of balance and "fun". I already said that this kind of generator is an ALTERNATIVE to MG and CG because it can generate power and doesn't req . Dup to operate it all the time (MG does req . Dup attention all the time when power req . is high) nor it doesn't require fuel like CG.

This generator is simply more reliable than MG and CG in many situations and various types of playstyle. 

1 hour ago, Jinxter said:
On 7.5.2017 at 10:49 AM, Masterpintsman said:

Yea sure keep talking xD

Why, as you seem to be offended by everything someone else sais? Plus:

1 hour ago, Jinxter said:

This generator is simply more reliable than MG and CG in many situations and various types of playstyle. 

Generate power from nothing and no dupe attention needed = it's overpowered.

Your idea seems to get worse with each post.

59 minutes ago, Masterpintsman said:

Why, as you seem to be offended by everything someone else sais?

If I ever get offended it will be because of the level of argument people like you is presenting or in your case lack of arguments.

1 hour ago, Masterpintsman said:

Generate power from nothing and no dupe attention needed = it's overpowered.

Your idea seems to get worse with each post.

Your cherrypicking and dishonesty aren't even entertaining. I didn't say it generates power out of nothing and I didn't say it doesn't Req. Dup. attention. I said "it doesn't req. Dup attention ALL THE TIME and it doesn't req. fuel (diagram clearly shows why and how it generates power)".

Do me a favour and stop lying. If you can't produce valid argument just quit arguing because your dishonest attitude is simply childish.

• Developer

Hey guys, let's remember to keep all discussion civil and respectful. The moment a post starts being less about the suggestion and more about a user's behavior, it starts getting more and more off-topic until it needs to be locked.

I just want to add to a previous post about Larping of it. I am one of thoes, I often deal with ineficiancies so my place looks good, the balancing of the 2 is what makes games like these fun for me. The more options available the better for players like me

Archived