How often do you play DST solo?

How often do you play DST solo?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you play DST solo? Please only include times where you are intentionally playing alone.

• Always
    • Most of the time
    • Some of the time
    • Never

I've noticed people often dismiss ideas concerning balance when the game is played solo, claiming the game is meant to be played with others. I thought it would be a good idea to get some sense of how many people actually do play solo in the first place. The poll is asking about when you intentionally play alone, not games where you are in an open world but nobody else happens to be there

I play solo every time, since i live in venezuela all the servers i can join has 200+ ping, so i create my own server and play alone, only on weekends a friend who lives in my site comes in to my house and we play on LAN and we get 8 to 20 ms ping

19 minutes ago, Josonic said:

I've noticed people often dismiss ideas concerning balance when the game is played solo, claiming the game is meant to be played with others. I thought it would be a good idea to get some sense of how many people actually do play solo in the first place. The poll is asking about when you intentionally play alone, not games where you are in an open world but nobody else happens to be there

In my opinion i like the DST as solo, since when you dominate DS vanilla or RoG its kind of easy to deal with bosses and monsters, with the increased HP its a new adventure for me

1 minute ago, Jurgens said:

I play solo every time, since i live in venezuela all the servers i can join has 200+ ping, so i create my own server and play alone, only on weekends a friend who lives in my site comes in to my house and we play on LAN and we get 8 to 20 ms ping

Screen Shot 2017-04-30 at 4.13.18 PM.png

I never intentionally play alone. It's a highly social game forme. Thinking about the transient's situation if alone affects me (that's why I prefer DST over DS in spite of DS being generally more user-friendly as in the chars are stronger and you are the owner of the world with no need to think about the others).

In the past, when I had no Steam friends, I played DST all alone as I was kinda reluctant regarding random players, plus had no confidence in my skill level (thing later disproved). So password servers were my thing - that's how I also learned the game (being more into trail-and-error approach than reading wikis/watching videos). Now I mostly play in survival, non-modded pubs (dedicated servers), but still have 2 personal worlds that I play from time-to-time, set on friends-only - but most times on them I am alone; so I'm not playing intentionally alone now, yet end result is the same. I'll assess at 70% of times playing pubs and 30% alone - intentional plus circumstantial - in total (from starting DST).

Most of my friends pretty much lost interest in the game so I play alone. I've tried close to 150+ hours in public servers just to meet trolls that ruin the experience pretty much every time. So I gave up on public and decided to learn how to program AI in one of my mods and now they are my friends. Sounds like a bad case of loneliness but hey they don't burn down my base and help out with group bosses pretty effectively.

I play alone quite a bit, sometimes because no one I play with happens to be on when I want to play, sometimes because my Internet isn't working too well that day, or sometimes because I want to go in and practice an aspect of the game that I find difficult without making my friends deal with my sanity drain spectre when I inevitably die a few times during the learning process.

DST has quite a few little improvements over Alone that make me pick DST over the single player version even when I want to play alone...

I play pretty much purely alone.  I'd like to get more friends to play with me, but I don't have many who are into the game.  I usually play with my world open to public, but I play on my pc, not a dedicated server, so I think most people don't care to join that environment.

I tried playing on public servers, but I don't like playing the first autumn / winter and then finding the world reset the next day.

As far as game balance goes - the bosses are more of a challenge solo, everything is...  The point of the game is to play multiplayer so it is reasonable the game should be balanced for multiplayer.  I also know that pretty much everything in the game has been solo'd by those who are good at the game, and I can look at their tactics to beat the bosses myself.  Some might consider these tactics "cheese" but I don't care.  Unless it is a bug exploit, I don't mind using the power the game gives me.  That said, I am critical of game balance issues and would be opposed to nerfing the game elements to make thing easier for a solo player, or adding powerful things to compensate for a player being solo.  The tools are already there to beat any boss as the game is now.

I usually play solo because I prefer to play with people I know rather then randoms. This is why I'm not too big on team shooters or MMOs. So because I play alone most of the time, I have few friends who play DST. And because I have few friends that play DST, I'm usually alone. So it's pretty much an endless cycle that's rarely broken. Occasionally I'll join a Klei official server, but after a while I realize I'm pretty much just playing alone again, and there's a good chance I'll just lose all my progress by the time I'd want to play again anyway. So I go back to playing on my own world.

I usually set my servers to friends only, so if one of them did want to join me, they're more then welcome to do so. But that's unfortunately rare.

I'm probably a bit of a weird case in this.

Lately I've been doing public survival group bases, but that's just because I haven't been able to find any interesting/stable long-term (usually Endless) server since Pinkmollies' server stopped resetting/went down. Thought I had a new one, it crashes and reverts progress. Another, the server hardware is so bad that player actions turn jittery and people are dying to bees and darkness.
...I'd start my own back up, but I'm trying to be as much of a cheapskate as possible for a while to save up money xD

Anyway.
Normally, I tend to play solo, but I like people being around. I can't just stay interested in an actual single-player, closed-off server; it's why I never got that into original DS.
Usual setup is a base outside the ruins, in the light bulb biome. Converse with people, let them pass through and give them stuff/trade, sometimes bring Thulecite items and gems to the weird surface-dwellers...
I don't really like playing with people I know IRL, but that applies to League too. I just like keeping life and this sort of stuff separate; makes it easier to focus and relax.
I'm fine with repeat players, I've found/worked with a few pretty neat ones, but I specifically like playing with people I've never seen involved, even if I don't team up with them, because of the element of surprise. There's a chance of encountering someone new and interesting.

But yea, I normally do most of the gameplay alone. I like the control given by me managing all of my own stuff.
Personally, I've stayed away from Toadstool, which is rarely even done by groups (and barely touched the Bee Queen/Dfly for a while, though that's moreso because I live so far away from them), but other than that I think the game's difficulty is fine.
Anything can be kited. It might be a pain, but even the Fuelweaver can be soloed if you're determined/well-supplied enough.

If anything, I think armor durability (not protection, but the health of the armor itself) should be doubled; in some cases maybe tripled.
It breaking as quickly as it does just makes it grindy/means that you have to carry more crap around with you to replace it. Heck, Thulecite Crowns shatter pretty quickly even with chest armor to spread the damage. I find myself making 3 or 4 whenever I'm near whatever altar I fix. It's obnoxious whether soloing or playing in a group, once you start fighting high-damage/swarming mobs.

2 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

I usually play solo because I prefer to play with people I know rather then randoms. This is why I'm not too big on team shooters or MMOs. So because I play alone most of the time, I have few friends who play DST. And because I have few friends that play DST, I'm usually alone. So it's pretty much an endless cycle that's rarely broken. Occasionally I'll join a Klei official server, but after a while I realize I'm pretty much just playing alone again, and there's a good chance I'll just lose all my progress by the time I'd want to play again anyway. So I go back to playing on my own world.

I usually set my servers to friends only, so if one of them did want to join me, they're more then welcome to do so. But that's unfortunately rare.

This.

In the past when I played DS/Rog I didn't know what I could do in the game. My fighting skills were non existent and I was extremely scared of everything. My heart was pumping everytime I heard that creepy moaning from Deerclops. I left him alone and despawn. I never went into the caves. This place also creeped me out. 379 in game hours and I've never seen the ruins.

Beside my constant fear of everything I also found myself clueless of things to do and while I'm still scared when a boss spawns, I give myself projects of things I want to do ingame. I build mainly and it actually helps me to stay ingame and look for other possibilities. Yesterday I finally killed the Queen Bee with the tentacle strat. I'm on day 600 and it took me a lot of time to gather the tentacle spots because of my fear to die in the swamp. I'm also trying to kite the bosses now (freaking treeguards didn't finish Bearger and left him with 2000hp). Fighting Goose was weird because she constantly lost focus and deaggroed and flew away right after I hit her, so, now I use the Beefalo to get rid of her and her babbies. And I also have another big project on my agenda and I can't wait to start. yay :wilson_flower:

12 hours ago, disies said:

This.

In the past when I played DS/Rog I didn't know what I could do in the game. My fighting skills were non existent and I was extremely scared of everything. My heart was pumping everytime I heard that creepy moaning from Deerclops. I left him alone and despawn. I never went into the caves. This place also creeped me out. 379 in game hours and I've never seen the ruins.

Beside my constant fear of everything I also found myself clueless of things to do and while I'm still scared when a boss spawns, I give myself projects of things I want to do ingame. I build mainly and it actually helps me to stay ingame and look for other possibilities. Yesterday I finally killed the Queen Bee with the tentacle strat. I'm on day 600 and it took me a lot of time to gather the tentacle spots because of my fear to die in the swamp. I'm also trying to kite the bosses now (freaking treeguards didn't finish Bearger and left him with 2000hp). Fighting Goose was weird because she constantly lost focus and deaggroed and flew away right after I hit her, so, now I use the Beefalo to get rid of her and her babbies. And I also have another big project on my agenda and I can't wait to start. yay :wilson_flower:

I'm pretty similar to you - I have played about 700 hours between DS and DST, and only since DST released did I actually fight any giants.  I'm picking up on the strats now though - using Deerclopse and Bearger to mass farm trees, tentacles for bee queen, bunnies for d-fly, ect.  I'm still very new to venturing into the ruins but once I finish setting up my bunnymen to farm scales, and possibly take out d-fly I'll definitely go there next.

I find the larger worlds, and higher HP values of nearly everything in DST makes it take longer to do anything as a solo player.  I used to spend the first 15 days exploring the world before even setting up a base, now I make a goal to spend no more than 6 days chasing roads before I force myself to pick a spot even if I haven't fully explored the world.  I need more goals to help drive my play.  I think the biggest issue I have is just that I played so casual, so I'd live for hundreds of days but I'd still have a very basic base, and wouldn't delve into the end game content.

I used to play Wes, but realized ultimately he was too punishing to bother with.  I tried other characters and have settled on Wickerbottom because of the tentacle traps.  I've got a set up for bee queen and Goose Goose and want to look at building an eye plant farm so that I can utilize them for quicker harvesting of twigs / grass (kinda wish her applied horticulture book would force eye plants to sprout)

I'm forced to play it solo, I tried to play on public servers only to find out that base I buld in the morning was not there on the evening and world was reset, then played with a friend, but he set hounds to never and refused to play after bearger destroyed one pig house.

Beside that its hard to find some dedicated players that wont delete worlds, and playing on public survival servers is pointless.

With the new patch that sort of solves the votekick-voteregen griefing, pubs last a lot longer and became 100 times more fun. The latest games I had over public games were a blast, with dragonfly raids and ruins clearing and all.
I'd play mostly at publics if I could, but I play solo a lot because I work 8 hours a day and go to engineering school 4 more :/ it drains most of my time so whenever I can fit a few gaming hours I play in my own world at my own pace, so I don't have to stay logged in for a lot of hours at once.

I'm definitely gonna do long Klei official public game-plays whenever I get some free time though.

Griefers and noobs are the pepper that spice up public games.

I do play solo from time to time when my friends are busy or they play other games etc. I don't mind playing solo since I like some challenges while I play a game. Since Klei fixed the voting system, I play a bit more on their public servers, just to meet new players, possibly make new friends etc. Surviving a whole year feels so refreshing in Klei servers.

I usually play solo. But one of the main reason is that i'm working on a mod not in the workshop, so i can't open my world anyway. And when i'm testing things it's not fun for another player if the world doesn't stay.

I play with others players in Klei server usually.

I always play alone, it's the way I like it and I don't mind it. I have friends on my list that come in whenever I need something from a specific character (Wicker to refuel my swamps with tentacles, to make Bee Queen Tentacle trap, Wolfgang for Dragonfly is coming in soon too, ...) and I usually offer them a skin in return. I like deciding how I want my base on my own and letting my creativity go free on my own time. 

Archived