So Woodie still sucks right?

My suggestions on a Woodie rework:

Beaver immunity to cold and wetness. Beavers don't even hibernate in winter, they grow thick fur and continue swimming in the freezing water. Give Beaver a natural winter coat that he sheds after winter or something. It'd give Woodie nice temporary survivability while carrying out his main function as gatherer in winter and spring that other characters don't have. If you wanna make things complicated, tie it somehow with his food meter for 'beaver fat insulation' and whatnot.

Improve Beaver survivability and combat. Woodie would be much improved if he could be made into a more versatile character like the guy everyone loves comparing his inferior gathering ability with, Maxwell. Not exactly a fighting character like Wolfgang, but it'd be cool to see a Woodie turn into a hulking beaver to tank on a Deerclops with teammates rather than avoid his most prominent ability for other than early game gathering before a Maxwell joins. Maybe he needn't have gnawing damage the power of a Tentacle Spike, but let him hold weapons with his mouth like a cute dog(disabling the function of the tool and him from gathering)and attack like that with great damage resistance at the cost of sanity or something?

Give Beaver a sanity aura. Give players incentive to use Beaver form more actively to contribute a bit of sanity to teammates in exchange for their easily regainable sanity. It's kinda like a befriended pig, but more on-demand and reliable. I mean, imagine the characters cuddling up to a big beaver for sanity!

Beaver and Lucy vs Treeguard. Haven't seen this suggestion before! It'd be a nice little bonus for Woodie to be able to naturally do better against annoying Treeguards. Perhaps at the cost of Lucy's increased damage(3x?), treating the Treeguard as a tree, it'd decrease Woodie's log meter as well, the Beaver of which would be able to pick up Lucy in his mouth and use her to finish off the job at the cost of replenishable sanity.

Random idea: Allow Woodie to make Beaver Dens in ponds(1 per) with like tons of sticks and grass that can be used as hiding spots from enemies too tough for Beaver? Maybe it heals Beaver's sanity and health when he uses it, but when Woodie or other characters use it it decreases sanity instead? idk its beaver stuff

3 hours ago, Atkvin said:

I mean, imagine the characters cuddling up to a big beaver for sanity!

I can't help but imagine Woodie himself in beaver form pulling everyone in for a big hug, trying to be like this big stuffed animal for everyone...and they're just smiling nervously up at him and desperately trying to escape the death grip.

If anything the Werebeaver might cause an insanity aura xD

On 4/29/2017 at 7:18 PM, TheKingofSquirrels said:

I just think that's a shame. I wanted to have some good Werebeaver fights. Fight a true a beast.

Don't Starve needs WWF hunchbeast and Wolfgang wrestling. Imagine the gold the pigking and players would throw.

battle of the hunches.png

On 4/28/2017 at 6:22 AM, ShadowDuelist said:

Overheating will still affect him to avoid rendering woodie too strong.

Because sacrificing sanity for immunity to overheating is just too strong.

*Coughs*

Willow.

8 hours ago, MrDeepDarkmind said:

All I can say is that Woodie is good at one thing... He tops the most hated character out there and that is *cough**cough*

Willow

you ask why does he top the most hated character because he can make people insane when he has 0 percent sanity as werebeaver :^) .

According to his calculations, Willow is now above Wes.

Screenshot (548).png

6 hours ago, Atkvin said:

Random idea: Allow Woodie to make Beaver Dens in ponds(1 per) with like tons of sticks and grass that can be used as hiding spots from enemies too tough for Beaver? Maybe it heals Beaver's sanity and health when he uses it, but when Woodie or other characters use it it decreases sanity instead? idk its beaver stuff

That could be a nice alternative for the monkeyhutts in shipwrecked. LEtting the players a chance to make a temporary hutt.

3 hours ago, minespatch said:

That could be a nice alternative for the monkeyhutts in shipwrecked. LEtting the players a chance to make a temporary hutt.

How bout just make him be able to use the map
to appease all the map junkies.

3 hours ago, Ressayez said:

Sarcasm, sarcasm.

Let's keep in mind this is the same guy who told many of us to kill ourselves over playstyles.

I still laugh at his Winter thing 
"All you need for winter is a watermelon hat it puts you just above freezing"
(who it the world besides me farms watermelons?)

18 hours ago, Atkvin said:

Beaver and Lucy vs Treeguard. Haven't seen this suggestion before!

*cough* read my suggestions several pages before *cough*

ANYHOW, I just figured the Werebeaver DOES currently deal bonus damage against treeguards, he deals almost as much damage as a hambat to them, which is pretty neat and something I didn't take advantage of before since I assumed he was going to deal the usual crappy damage.
Adding bonus damage to Lucy against them would be perfect though.

12 hours ago, Ressayez said:

Because sacrificing sanity for immunity to overheating is just too strong.

*Coughs*

Willow.

True! But I already suggested immunity to cold and wetness, if he's immune to heat as well he'd be immune to all seasons and allow the beaver form to have no more challenge than kiting and killing shadows all year long. I just thought it would be better to "at least" leave him one type of damage/season he'll have to struggle with like everyone else.

Summer is meant to be a pain in the "bottom" anyway.

Another thing I've been thinking is: what if the werebeaver grew stronger with every full moon? Meaning that the beaver form will become more and more like in single player (higher damage dealt, less sanity drain) the longer Woodie exists in the world, but with a very slow but stead increase rate (each full moon survived increasing a fixed tiny % to beaver stats)
Perhaps reaching a peak after Woodie has survived at least 90 days in the world, getting then (and only then) a beaver damage to mobs of 50, walking cane speed boost, a fixed internal armor, and a sanity penalty of just 30/min, allowing him to use the late-game beaver form more like a tool instead of a penalty.

3 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

True! But I already suggested immunity to cold and wetness, if he's immune to heat as well he'd be immune to all seasons and allow the beaver form to have no more challenge than kiting and killing shadows all year long. I just thought it would be better to "at least" leave him one type of damage/season he'll have to struggle with like everyone else.

Summer is meant to be a pain in the "bottom" anyway.

Another thing I've been thinking is: what if the werebeaver grew stronger with every full moon? Meaning that the beaver form will become more and more like in single player (higher damage dealt, less sanity drain) the longer Woodie exists in the world, but with a very slow increase rate.
Perhaps reaching a peak after Woodie has survived at least 90 days in the world, getting then (and only then) a steady beaver damage to mobs of 50, walking cane speed boost, and a sanity penalty of just 30/min, allowing him to use the late-game beaver form more like a tool instead of a penalty.

I actually like that idea though I do think it should have an upgrade menchanic in the players hands a very slow one but you can rush it if you wish. 90 days is a long time to wait I don't most play sessions will make it that long

Maybe have him eat living logs because he chops trees so fast he just spawns more treeguards then most characters. Though I would hate to have another reasorce muncher.

16 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

*cough* read my suggestions several pages before *cough*

ANYHOW, I just figured the Werebeaver DOES currently deal bonus damage against treeguards, he deals almost as much damage as a hambat to them, which is pretty neat and something I didn't take advantage of before since I assumed he was going to deal the usual crappy damage.
Adding bonus damage to Lucy against them would be perfect though.

I said "Haven't seen this suggestion befire" sarcastically, haha. It seemed to pop up numerous times in the lists of suggestions before mine. Nice find though!

20 hours ago, Donke60 said:

I actually like that idea though I do think it should have an upgrade menchanic in the players hands a very slow one but you can rush it if you wish. 90 days is a long time to wait I don't most play sessions will make it that long

Maybe have him eat living logs because he chops trees so fast he just spawns more treeguards then most characters. Though I would hate to have another reasorce muncher.

Y'know, maybe Woodie could upgrade his wood meter, in a way similar to how Wx78 can improve all of his stats via gears. By increasing his maximum wood meter, the Werebeaver could chop down more trees/harvest resources before having to return to human form. It would also help Woodie stay in his human form longer.

How these "upgrades" to his wood meter should come about, I think using living logs could be used, what with Woodie being amongst the faster tree-chopping characters and thus spawning a lot of treeguards.

Of course, having a larger wood meter means that the Werebeaver will need more work to return to human form, thus being vulnerable to shadow creatures longer. Perhaps his sanity drain in Werebeaver form should also be reduced as he gets "upgraded"?

Sadly i could not take a screenshot of this. I was playing on a public server, after ~66 days a full moon got me by surprise while we were all camping

The whole server (8 people) wrote in chat "F*** " 
Beaver can give you some pretty funny moments to be honest :p 

7 hours ago, Sketched_Philo said:

Perhaps his sanity drain in Werebeaver form should also be reduced as he gets "upgraded"?

possibly I don't know what his sanity beaver drain is so I don't know what it should be dropped too

21 minutes ago, Donke60 said:

possibly I don't know what his sanity beaver drain is so I don't know what it should be dropped too

I read once that it is -90/min, though I'm not entirely sure. But I also observed that during a night I lose about the half of my (original) sanity as a werebeaver. That's true that it's pretty easy to go insane this way.

3 hours ago, fimmatek said:

I read once that it is -90/min, though I'm not entirely sure. But I also observed that during a night I lose about the half of my (original) sanity as a werebeaver. That's true that it's pretty easy to go insane this way.

If so I think it should be 20min because your power is pretty high when you get close to the cap and you already get some nice bonus this will also advise players to not go nuts with the werebeaver when they first start because he'll be squishy and bad sanity.

Archived