The Collected Colonies - Fan Fiction

EPISODE 1
     Three duplicants swirled through the darkness. They had their marble-shaped eyes clamped shut with fear and confusion. They were probably thinking, "What is this place? Why am I here?" Their pondering didn't last long, as light penetrated their eyelids and gave them hope. One peeked through the darkness and saw a speck of light that they were hurtling towards. It magnified faster and faster the longer they swirled through space and time. Very quickly it was upon them. It felt as if they were being pushed from a vacuum of space. They were spat into time, space, gravity, air, and all these things overwhelmed them at once as they were chucked through, never to see that light again. Or so they thought. This was a new light, faint. Each one peered into the faint light to see two new faces. They thought it best to introduce themselves. Their names were Mi-Ma, Meep, and Will.
     Just then, a panicked voice sounded in the air, "Guys? GUYS!" The female voice began sobbing, "If you're still alive, HELP ME! The core is overheating from the activation. I never had to deal with the core, so I don't know how to fix it!"
     They all stared in stunned silence. They had no idea what was going on, and were shocked themselves to have begun existing and begin immediately thrown into this situation.
     The voice came through the comms on their belts, although gasping instead of sobbing, "I just want you all to know...If you're out there. I love you guys." Moments later the area around them shivered, and the ceiling gave dust and a few pebbles. Among that was the deepest sound they'd heard so far, and one that shattered the sympathy of their hearts. A deep explosion, muffled and infinetly far away.
     Mi-Ma broke out in tears, and she whispered, "I didn't even know her. Who was that...?"
     Will appeared to be fractured, but barely managing to hold it together. He stood up, brushed his pants off, and mumbled, "Family..."
     Meep was still stunned, but this he and Mi-Ma glanced up at him and immediately turned away as if they didn't want to believe it; but knew--Somehow they knew.
     Will turned back around with gritted teeth to face Mi-Ma, with Meep next to him, "We can't have let this cripple us. In case you haven't noticed, it's a bit hard to breathe in here." She nodded, stood up, and sniffed.
     She looked around at the encramped cave they called their new home.
     "We need to start digging, "She said with an edge on her voice, likely the affect of slight claustrophobia, "Meep, can yo--" Her sentence was cut short by a trembling beneath Meep. The earth shook with such vigor that the pebbles that were free from Meep's footprint began to bounce in chaos. Then suddenly, the quake died.
     "BWaRRRaRRRa!" Came a muffled cry like a weed whacker turned animal. Meep instantly became alert and stood up.
     "What was That?" He cried, extremely perplexed. Mi-Ma glanced at his stomach instinctively, but frowned, pondering why she had done so.
     "BWaRaRRRarrRAAA!" The scream rang again, and then the ground shook, split, and crumbled. Out of the breadcrumbs came a clam/turtle-like creature. They all stood there, staring at the new creature with more curiosity than fear, for it was a small creature; a little bigger than a dodgeball. Meep stepped closer.
     "Oh, was that all. Hello little guy." He said with excitement. The creature took a few tentative steps in the same direction. Meep snagged a leaf off one of the nearby plants and bent down to feed it.
     "Meep, I'm not sure that's--" Will was interuppted by a sudden spring of the creature. It now had meeps entire head inside it's fat lips.
     "AUUUUHHHHH! GET IT OFF MEEEEH!" Meep screamed in surprise. He instinctively began trying to yank the thing off, but it was stuck on like a cartoon cork in a bottle. They fought by punching the creature, yanking it, but it wouldn't budge. Will stepped back, flipped to a mode on his multi-tool, and fired. Immediately an array of paintballs shot from the tool, but Will wasn't expecting such a kickback. By the time he lifted his tense finger from the trigger, his friend was entirely blue in the face, red on the uniform, and white on the pants. Atleast Meep was free from that creature, which, now that they noticed, had burrowed a new home again. Where, they didn't know. The only remains of him were a pile of black stones.
     "Well, I guess you could say I'm a work of art now." Meep smirked.
     "I could say you're a clown." Will parried.
     "--On to our survival, we need to start digging." Mi-Ma butted in.
     "DIGGING!?" Meep yelled. Mi-ma cocked her head and stared at him.
     "Yes...digging." Meep looked at his multi-tool with a new found lust.
     Meep turned out to be an excellent digger--if you could call cataclysmically pulverising every stone in his way--then yes, excellent. They started expanding their home in length, while Will dumped the contents of his sack on the floor. He shook it out with excitement, like a child dumping the contents of his Easter basket. His sack contained many written papers like plans, blueprints, equations, and the like.
     "We're going to need this," He announced proudly, holding up a blueprint of what looked like a deformed phonograph, "it's called the Algae Deoxydizer, and it puts oxygen into the air."
     "Get to work on it." Mi-Ma concluded.
     "We don't have the right materials. In fact, I don't see any of the ones described here, although I'll experiment and find substances that we can use as substitutes. We have some materials that look like they could be hardened, so let me try and make a table so I can experiment." He explained.
     "Got it. We don't have much time, so work fast."
     Mi-Ma and Meep continued working, and they soon found themselves sinking in the sand-like material. They drudged on in the semi-sinking sand, but eventually quit when it became too much. They dragged there feet from the mud and checked up on Will. He had constructed a table from hardened sandstones and was setting up a beaker system on the table.
     "Where'd you get those?" Meep asked. Will turned his head and patted his pack with his free hand.
     "They were in there."
     "What are you doing?" Mi-Ma asked curiously. Will had stationed the beaker upon a girdle and was holding a rock which was from the creature we saw earlier.
     He struck the rock with another of it's kind and lit a leaf from one of the nearby plants, and placed it below the beaker.
     "I'm warming the beaker. Have you found water yet? I'm a bit thirsty and I set this up to purify water, and study other things." He explained.
     "Nope, although we found mud which tells us we're clo--" Mi-Ma was interrupted by a sudden sound. It sounded as if it was rough salt being poured into something. The sound immediately got louder and clearer as a waterfall blasted through the wall that they had been excavating. They all froze in surprise, but Meep speedily defrosted himself and sprinted toward the danger. Mi-Ma soon trotted after him, but was much slower to regain her wits. Meep was cutting off the onslaught of the waterfall by digging a trench for the water to fall into. Meanwhile, he kept muttering, "Dig, Dig, Dig, Dig..."
     The waterfall reached Meep's trench and broke it's onslaught by collapsing into the hole. The cave was still riddled with puddles, but much of the water was now contained.
     "Fascinating! There must be water pooled all around us." Will observed. Mi-Ma was timid of this observation. Meep was soaked with evidence, but he remained clueless.
     Mi-Ma gasped for breath. She suddenly couldn't get enough oxygen. She bent over from the exhasperation. Meep began breathing swiftly as well. Will took a step backward.
     "Block the hole! It's letting CO2 in!" Will alarmed them. Meep and Mi-Ma stepped back and got to work, although it was slow because they could barely breathe. Finally the last space was filled in the wall.
     "Will...What's your progress on that Algae...thing." Mi-Ma gasped.
     "I just need some Algae, and then I can build it. One problem, though...It requires power."
     "Oh, we're dead then. Is that what you're saying?" Mi-Ma guessed.
     "No, no. I just need you to build this." Will said. He grasped a blueprint that he had set aside on his table and showed it to Mi-Ma and Meep.
     "Meep, can you dig for some metal? Look for anything that shines." Meep nodded, "And Mi-Ma--"
     "What is that? A giant hamster wheel?"
     "Well, to be honest, yes. I just rescaled the blueprint."
     "Ok, well, lets pray this thing works--"
     "SHINY!" Screamed Meep in the far end of the cave. He sprinted over with a pile of shine copper rocks in his hands.
     "Good. Keep digging around there and get more." Meep nodded and headed off again while Mi-Ma did the same and got to work, placing the foundation of the generator near Will's table.
     They kept this up until both the Algae Deoxydizer and the Generator were finished. Then Will added the finishing touches by connecting them with copper wiring.
     "What now?" Mi-Ma asked. Will merely gestured at the generator.
     "What? Wait...No. You want me to ride this thing?"
     "Actually, Meep, hop on. While you power the Algae Deoxydizer we'll build a battery so that you don't have to sleep run on that hamster wheel."

To be continued... Episode 1 shall be finished, and then the prelude of Mi-Ma, Meep, Will, and the mysterious other's adventure will be shared.

On 5/1/2017 at 10:22 PM, minespatch said:

Nice summarizing up the game with some dupe personalities. It flows nicely with the way the dupes show teamwork while the stress is really going through their concern.

Hopefully I'll update this within the next couple weeks. Finals next week :/.

Archived