[Game Update] - 214633

I'm noticing a lag in build 214633 that I didn't have in previous builds (been playing ONI for a few months). In this build, the game starts fine but about a cycle or 2 in (now as of around cycle 70 but the lag start seems to be happening earlier/faster/sooner as the game progresses) it starts lagging and getting chunky/jerky: it is no longer smooth but lurches as I scroll and the dupes are not smoothly animating. Paused, the game scrolls fine and no lag. If I reload the saved game, it's smooth for a cycle or so but then starts lagging again. Possible memory leak in this build.

8 minutes ago, Eep said:

I'm noticing a lag in build 214633 that I didn't have in previous builds (been playing ONI for a few months). In this build, the game starts fine but about a cycle or 2 in (now as of around cycle 70 but the lag start seems to be happening earlier/faster/sooner as the game progresses) it starts lagging and getting chunky/jerky: it is no longer smooth but lurches as I scroll and the dupes are not smoothly animating. Paused, the game scrolls fine and no lag. If I reload the saved game, it's smooth for a cycle or so but then starts lagging again. Possible memory leak in this build.

If the game runs fine paused that is not a memory leak. That is your PC not being able to run the game good enough. The fact that you noticed it after updating the game may be pure luck.

Have you ever gotten to cycle 70+ before? If not then it's more likely that you have a large base thats causing the lag and you're only noticing it now because it gotten too big just before you updated.

Also if you have done any windows or driver updates without restarting then first go restart and try again.

4 hours ago, AlexRou said:

If the game runs fine paused that is not a memory leak. That is your PC not being able to run the game good enough. The fact that you noticed it after updating the game may be pure luck.

Have you ever gotten to cycle 70+ before? If not then it's more likely that you have a large base thats causing the lag and you're only noticing it now because it gotten too big just before you updated.

Also if you have done any windows or driver updates without restarting then first go restart and try again.

My PC can run ONI just fine. I've gotten to cycle 300+. I believe the issue is with Onion Patcher, which I had used to get a larger map (256x384) and zoom out. Even with ONI unpatched, the saved game still caused lag after every couple cycles (incrementally). Odd because the game starts out fine and I can zoom in and out and scroll all over the map without a lag, which makes me think it's still a memory leak since the game isn't designed for larger maps so it probably doesn't discard properly.

55 minutes ago, Eep said:

My PC can run ONI just fine. I've gotten to cycle 300+. I believe the issue is with Onion Patcher, which I had used to get a larger map (256x384) and zoom out. Even with ONI unpatched, the saved game still caused lag after every couple cycles (incrementally). Odd because the game starts out fine and I can zoom in and out and scroll all over the map without a lag, which makes me think it's still a memory leak since the game isn't designed for larger maps so it probably doesn't discard properly.

Unpatching the game and loading the save file will still load into a 256 x 384 map. Its not exactly a memory leak since you are using a larger map, larger map = more memory usage and there is nothing to stop that. Also there is more to process. So just create a new game with ONI unpatched to get a normal size map.

Edited by AlexRou

8 hours ago, AlexRou said:

Unpatching the game and loading the save file will still load into a 256 x 384 map. Its not exactly a memory leak since you are using a larger map, larger map = more memory usage and there is nothing to stop that. Also there is more to process. So just create a new game with ONI unpatched to get a normal size map.

Yes, I know. However, again, because I can INITIALLY load the larger map, scroll around it, and zoom in/out FINE, yet only after a cycle or so it starts to lag, makes me think it's a memory leak issue, especially how the lag gets incrementally worse over a short period of time.

Just want to throw this out here and say that I have also experienced lag at cycle 70 and then game crashed at cycle 73 last night. 

Previous games I have reached above 100 cycles and have no crashes.

It is possible that it might be a one time thing, but just a heads up.

Edited by Tarey

OK, just played a non-patched game where I'm up to cycle 215 and am noticing the lag (not as severe) after a few cycles too so it's not just limited to Onion Patcher-patched games. Smells like a memory leak more and more to me.