Air Pockets in Bodies of Water

I'm sure that I'm not the only to notice that during gameplay in bodies of waters, there are sometimes pockets of air that (i.e. under rocks) appear.  Do these air pockets signify anything? Can they be exploited during gameplay?  If not, then why not remove them?

The game physics engine is tile based, i.e. a tile can contain either solid matter (terrain or wall tile), liquid (water, polluted water, or magma), or gas. You cannot have two or three of these in single tile (not counting items such as dug minerals which do not fill the tile). So an air pocket is a gas tile surrounded by a solid tile above, and water tiles on the other sides in a way that doesn't allow it to escape. Most of the time they appear if a room is suddenly filled with liquid. They do not signify anything, they're just results of how the physics engine works. Regarding exploits, it's up to your imagination.

I have an idea to deal with this that would not require any mechanic changes. The devs could add a new angled tile(Equilateral triangle) that looks like a triangle but acts like a mesh tile(liquid and gases can pass through). They could also make it so that the liquid and gases less than a certain amount(maybe arround 100g) would be forced into the tile next to the angled side of the tile(ether left or right not up or down).

This could resolve the issue of the pockets of gas getting stuck in some areas as well as when placed upside down would allow bodies of water to be funneled to a pump better without any leftover water sitting on top of the tile to the left and right of a pump.

This new tile could be added to the tech that provides the mesh tile(gas and liquids can pass through).

I think the look might be a nice addition to the game

Archived