lol yeah i thought it could be amusing and practical maybe can only carry up to 4 dupes at a time you build the start and finish point but it has to be in a straight line, then when activated the elevator slides back turns its little rockets on and moves behind everything to it's destination. You could even fuel it with hydrogen?

For sure the means of travel ie rail, rockets or even teleportation and fuel (electricity or hydrogen 'combustion') are the variables and up for debate.

The rail or track the elevators take should not be hindered by structures, gas/water pipes or cables.... Only the start and finish points need to be clear. 

glass vacuum tubes would make more sense for horizontal and vertical motion and could be set up in a similar fashion as the vents and such.

a mining car and elevators I could also agree with in a similar variation of this idea would make a bit more logic then the great glass elevator and could be used for cargo as well as dupe transport

Yeah what ever form it comes in rocket elevator, glass tubes etc  it would be really cool to be able to get our dupes where they're needed without spending half the day travelling back and forth. Also doesn't need to be a glass elevator I just used it as a reference the design could be more mechanical to fit the game aesthetics. 

So I thought more about this idea and how it could play more than one role, someone mentioned material transfer from hard to reach places back to your base where most of it is needed. The idea I came up with is a pull and push system where you assign dupe to elevator that has a storage capacity (as well as dupe capacity) and at one end where certain materials are needed you check the box for drop off and required amount of what material and the dupe on the elevator will collect these resources from material rich areas (most likely storage containers near another elevator departure point) while he's ferrying people about. 

Edit: also this stuff can be locked behind advanced research or incorporated into the current one. 

Archived