Poll for hopefully bringing the SW cast to DST someday?

The Polls  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Should the SW cast be added to DST?

So I personally really want to see the SW characters in DST, not the entire DLC, that would not work without a lot of changes due to it not being made for a multiplayer environment, just the characters and maybe some SW content. I'm making this because I see potential in them being brought to DST, especially since Warly (The character I want in DST most) would actually be way more useful here with his portable crockpot.

Now I know what you might be thinking, "The characters can't be added! SW isn't canon and isn't part of the lore!". Well said who? Who at Klei explicitly said SW is not part of the lore? NO ONE. Klei just has not given it lore yet, which it might get if the updates to single-player they're planning are updates to SW.

As for another argument you might make, "Just download a mod!". Well sure PC players could just download a mod! But what about the console players? Console players can't get mods! Plus, official Klei support for these characters would be nice so that they can get skins and what not, and who doesn't like new skins?

I do know that Walani would be tough to make perks for without compromising the characters identity in a RoG world, but I believe that Klei could pull it off somehow. As for Woodlegs, he would just not have his boat, on sea, like maybe the boat could be a non-moving structure that can be piloted to shoot coconades (maybe just put the boat on wheels.)? Just an idea. The rest of Woodleg's perks would work just fine (losing sanity on land may have to be changed though), and the same goes for all of Warly & Wilbur's perks (though Warly may need changes to his picky eater perk, and Wilbur's monkey loyalty will have to be given to splumonkeys...)

Anyway, vote and post your thoughts below, I really want these characters in DST, maybe also with some SW content, like maybe coconuts could wash up on shore to the mainland so we can have palm trees. That's all!

I'd just love the SW characters getting any form of attention either dst or just SW updates in singleplayer. They're still focused somewhat to DST so I don't expect much atm...

Even though I made the Shipwrecked Characters mod I am 100% sure adding them canonically without the whole dlc is not gonna happen at all, also when you consider Winona and whatnot...

I wouldn't object to that of course. I'm sincerely hopeful that maybe later this year or next year we'll get some (hopefully positive) news on these characters. Klei pls, let them have friends and wear fancy clothes 

I think considering a community member already handled adding the characters there isn't much reason for Klei to put their time into developing this compared to other aspects of the game(always have to consider priority in development of a game), also as CheeseNuggets101 said, it would be out of place to just dump the characters into the canon DST world without any shipwrecked attachments. Those are my thoughts anyway :p

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 6:47 PM, Cheetos said:

I think considering a community member already handled adding the characters there isn't much reason for Klei to put their time into developing this compared to other aspects of the game(always have to consider priority in development of a game), also as CheeseNuggets101 said, it would be out of place to just dump the characters into the canon DST world without any shipwrecked attachments. Those are my thoughts anyway :p

Did you read the Original Post? Yes, PC players can download a mod, but not console players! And I'm sure almost everyone would like some official Klei support for the cast, and I suggested potentially adding SW stuff by it being washed up on the mainland shore, such as coconuts or even bamboo plants. I do know that priority is important in development, I meant that I'd like to have the characters someday if SW becomes apart of the lore, which I hope it does if the planned updates for single-player adds some.

Basically, because SW in its entirety is an unlikely feat for DST, maybe just adding a "slice" of it with the characters could be nice (perhaps as a kind of "mini" DLC?), that is if it becomes part of the lore which would give It a better chance at coming to DST.

Noooo!

At least in their current state... Which I don't think will change. I'm even critical of RoG characters though, so...

Shipwrecked really killed it for me with the art style being completely different and broken from the creepy and dreary vibe you get from the original game, and RoG too.

The characters of SW seem to not only be just pushed in there but also quite basic mechanic wise. They don't stand out so well as the DS cast do, at least to me. Warly's concept of a better cook in the game, given this is a survival game with multiple players could do well, but I feel that a lot of redesigning should really be done for this if they were to place them in DST, or just redesigning in general.

For me personally, the SW content partially feels like a giant mod instead of an actual expansion because of the way the content is stylised in art. Wish at least the water help up the old art style...

Just, no. All of the characters in SW are low tier: being below Wilson (except Warly) in quality, mostly because of them having a character concept that is either bad entirely (Wilbur), exclusive to SW (Woodlegs), or both (Walani). Warly is given an exception because is at least somewhat useful in the hands of someone knows how to play him, and does so well.

26 minutes ago, Chaos2 said:

Just, no. All of the characters in SW are low tier: being below Wilson (except Warly) in quality, mostly because of them having a character concept that is either bad entirely (Wilbur), exclusive to SW (Woodlegs), or both (Walani). Warly is given an exception because is at least somewhat useful in the hands of someone knows how to play him, and does so well.

How have you been playing Woodlegs? That guy can summon heaps of treasure easily! EVEN IN ROG! He is not worse then Wilson unless your not at all taking advantage of his perk(s), and I don't know how Wilbur could possibly be worse then Wilson in your book.

17 minutes ago, Arlesienne said:

On Klei's side, I'd prefer fresh content. But Island Adventures will bring you Walani, Warly, Wilbur and Woodlegs to DST. Alongside other things.

Mods are really not a solution, especially because there exclusive to PC players. Klei should keep working on new content for now, I'd just like to see SW in its entirety (a dream which is super unlikely) or at least the characters and maybe some content from it someday.

1 hour ago, Astroknot said:

How have you been playing Woodlegs? That guy can summon heaps of treasure easily! EVEN IN ROG! He is not worse then Wilson unless your not at all taking advantage of his perk(s), and I don't know how Wilbur could possibly be worse then Wilson in your book.

Woodleg's capability to summon treasure but CONSTANT sanity down and 120 sanity maximum (instead of the usual 200) is trumped by Wilson's balanced stats and beard which makes effigies more viable and serves as another source of insulation. In addition, most of the "treasure" summoned by Woodlegs can be easily acquired in RoG, even to a larger degree when you consider the endgame. Wilbur's perk of prime apes being friendly also only applies in SW, even then it has limited use. His only decent ability is his sprinting... which is redundant if you: A: play Wolfgang or WX B: use a walking cane, which satisfies most needs for mobility anyways, plus, it doesn't drain more hunger. Basically: both characters are terrible because they lack any major helpful perk that can either help them in the end game, and don't have any abilities that can't be substituted for items/time. 

Couldn't you just make Wilburs monkey power work on cave monkeys

I don't think anyone who wants the SW character to be ported over to DST want direct ports. That would be a bad idea. But they could be changed I've seen good mods with these characters that make them viable or more so in an RoG setting. Look you can say and probably will say well you just saw good mods so use those mods. Thats not really the point why I want them ported over. Its that the SW characters were there they were DLC characters and its been a long time since we got any new characters. Webber and wigfrid were the last DLC characters and they got worked into DS and are now part of the canon cast of characters.

So why aren't Warly,Wilbur,Woodlegs,Walnini get the same treatment. They aren't Mod characters they are characters made by some part by Kiel as long as you have the SW  DLC you have the option to play as them no matter what platform. So why not in DST. people have the arguement that SW is a seprate universe and DST is RoG and that SW wouldn't fit. and your right the SW characters would make no sense in anypart of the DST timeline for SW was born from a partnership. But why can't we just have them take some liberties we know that game logic already take some with the DS storyline. But it just stings that DLC characters come along and look SW isn't that great but its hurts that in DST  SW characters are treated like mod charcters when I really feel they shouldn't be. I'm not asking that they be worked into the storyline I just want them supported.

These are just my thoughts I'm not commanding though it might seem like it
I'm like the SW characters(or 1) and just venting that they are treated like mod characters.
and wish they got some respect or acknowledgement would be nice.

For me SW characters will make more sense if they are added along with the SW DLC. They could be introduced in RoG but it doesn't have the same feeling, it will feel incomplete. Also adding plants from SW to RoG might not really fit well. Let's say Klei will make SW available to DST, we will need better PCs to handle the extra server. Some of us can't even run with caves. In the end I still got some little hope they will find a way to implement Shipwrecked to DST in a easier way.

7 hours ago, Astroknot said:

Did you read the Original Post? Yes, PC players can download a mod, but not console players! And I'm sure almost everyone would like some official Klei support for the cast, and I suggested potentially adding SW stuff by it being washed up on the mainland shore, such as coconuts or even bamboo plants. I do know that priority is important in development, I meant that I'd like to have the characters someday if SW becomes apart of the lore, which I hope it does if the planned updates for single-player adds some.

Basically, because SW in its entirety is an unlikely feat for DST, maybe just adding a "slice" of it with the characters could be nice (perhaps as a kind of "mini" DLC?), that is if it becomes part of the lore which would give It some chance at coming to DST.

Why do we care about console plebs?

I'm kidding of course, but there are a ton of advantages to playing dst on PC, and mods are just a small piece of that.  Consoles are bad for a lot of reasons for gaming.

I don't know about the _whole_ thing, but I myself would very much like some of the Shipwrecked only plants/biomes.  Maybe a coastline could actually look like a coastline every now and then--you know, sloping down to the water, rather than being a solid wall. And our oases could have (gasp) ACTUAL PALM TREES!  (Although the birch trees being there instead _did_ give me the adorableness that is The Oasis Catcoon...)

My _real_ dream is still to be able to sail off into the islands from the mainland _on the same shard_.  Not all-mainland or JUST the "Island Adventures" (though I'm totally gonna subscribe to that when done) but BOTH, integrated.  But I do know why that will never happen.  Still, wouldn't that be awesome?  A bigger world with more biomes and different climates to explore?  And you could bring back island stuff to the mainland to show off improve your diet?  _I_ think it'd be cool.  (shrug)

(Also ha!  Cheesenuggets, I think your mod is the one I've been using lately.  Hee.)

And yeah...don't know why, but it didn't really occur to me until now that console players couldn't use mods.  (smacks forehead)  Which causes kind of a problem...'cos the whole thing with mods is that you can have content for yourself that others--including the devs--might _not_ want for themselves.  To make it so CONSOLE players can use things, you have to put it into the main game, which...yeah. That's a bit harder.

...Notorious

16 hours ago, CheeseNuggets101 said:

I'd just love the SW characters getting any form of attention either dst or just SW updates in singleplayer. They're still focused somewhat to DST so I don't expect much atm...

Even though I made the Shipwrecked Characters mod I am 100% sure adding them canonically without the whole dlc is not gonna happen at all, also when you consider Winona and whatnot...

I wouldn't object to that of course. I'm sincerely hopeful that maybe later this year or next year we'll get some (hopefully positive) news on these characters. Klei pls, let them have friends and wear fancy clothes 

Just wanted to drop a huge thank you for the mod ♥ 

And of course YES, YES, YES. I want more characters. I couldn't love anything more then variety. Joining a server with everyone playing a different character is just beautiful for me ! 

16 hours ago, Chaos2 said:

His only decent ability is his sprinting... which is redundant if you: A: play Wolfgang or WX B: use a walking cane, which satisfies most needs for mobility anyways, plus, it doesn't drain more hunger.

I think you're forgetting a crucial part of his arsenal...

Spoiler

his own s***

15 hours ago, Donke60 said:

Couldn't you just make Wilburs monkey power work on cave monkeys

I don't think anyone who wants the SW character to be ported over to DST want direct ports. That would be a bad idea. But they could be changed I've seen good mods with these characters that make them viable or more so in an RoG setting. Look you can say and probably will say well you just saw good mods so use those mods. Thats not really the point why I want them ported over. Its that the SW characters were there they were DLC characters and its been a long time since we got any new characters. Webber and wigfrid were the last DLC characters and they got worked into DS and are now part of the canon cast of characters.

So why aren't Warly,Wilbur,Woodlegs,Walnini get the same treatment. They aren't Mod characters they are characters made by some part by Kiel as long as you have the SW  DLC you have the option to play as them no matter what platform. So why not in DST. people have the arguement that SW is a seprate universe and DST is RoG and that SW wouldn't fit. and your right the SW characters would make no sense in anypart of the DST timeline for SW was born from a partnership. But why can't we just have them take some liberties we know that game logic already take some with the DS storyline. But it just stings that DLC characters come along and look SW isn't that great but its hurts that in DST  SW characters are treated like mod charcters when I really feel they shouldn't be. I'm not asking that they be worked into the storyline I just want them supported.

These are just my thoughts I'm not commanding though it might seem like it
I'm like the SW characters(or 1) and just venting that they are treated like mod characters.
and wish they got some respect or acknowledgement would be nice.

This is exactly my point, Webber & Wigfrid got to become canon members of the cast, why can't the SW cast? The lore appears to be quite open, so alternate universe or not they could be added some-how. As for changing them to have perks that would help in RoG (or in Warly's case, something brand new to make his somewhat annoying drawback worth dealing with.), that's a given, obviously people if they were to be ported its not going to mean a direct port with no changes.

6 hours ago, Astroknot said:

This is exactly my point, Webber & Wigfrid got to become canon members of the cast, why can't the SW cast? The lore appears to be quite open, so alternate universe or not they could be added some-how. As for changing them to have perks that would help in RoG (or in Warly's case, something brand new to make his somewhat annoying drawback worth dealing with.), that's a given, obviously people if they were to be ported its not going to mean a direct port with no changes.

As I said I don't think working them into the DST storyline should be needed they really wouldn't make since and I see no way the writers could do it without making it seemed forced. I Just want them supported I don't care if the characters are locked behide a character select screen like in Skullgirls as long as they are there I would be happy.

1 hour ago, Donke60 said:

As I said I don't think working them into the DST storyline should be needed they really wouldn't make since and I see no way the writers could do it without making it seemed forced. I Just want them supported I don't care if the characters are locked behide a character select screen like in Skullgirls as long as they are there I would be happy.

I do see your point in that working them into the story would be hard or seem forced, and after thinking about it lore or not I'd still want to see them in the game. Giving them lore though would make people more ok with them showing up, because they would have a reason to be here.

I think I'd take any kind of reason for them to be in the game though, game-logic would be fine, I just want to play as a traveling chef, a monkey, and a treasure seeking pirate with my friends.

I like looking at it this way.

RoG was an expansion pack for DST, adding new content over existing things, such as the addition of Autumn and Spring as 2 separate seasons (resulting in 4).

SW is a whole new game mode, removing most content normally found in the game (evergreens, pig king, caves/ruins) and replacing it with other content (palm trees, yaarctopus, volcano).

Adding RoG to DST is like adding sprinkles to a cake. Adding SW would be like changing the flavor.

I find that logical reasoning for RoG making it to DST but not SW. SW kinda sucked in some ways anyway...

I'm just for the characters

3 hours ago, Electroely said:

I like looking at it this way.

RoG was an expansion pack for DST, adding new content over existing things, such as the addition of Autumn and Spring as 2 separate seasons (resulting in 4).

SW is a whole new game mode, removing most content normally found in the game (evergreens, pig king, caves/ruins) and replacing it with other content (palm trees, yaarctopus, volcano).

Adding RoG to DST is like adding sprinkles to a cake. Adding SW would be like changing the flavor.

I find that logical reasoning for RoG making it to DST but not SW. SW kinda sucked in some ways anyway...

Archived