showers, whats up there

The showers stop working if you dont have a long enough output buffer.

When you use your shower, you output a constant stream of polluted water.

If that flow is obstructed longer than about...maybe half a second, they will stop.

Make your shower output pipes longer before you merge them into a main waste pipe.

well I have the three outputs merge right at the exit of each, that is, the  main output is directly under the showers and toilets, so you are saying they should run some length before hitting the main sewer line?  Ok, I will try that, I will start with, ummm... 12 sections, and see how that works, thanks for the reply.,

Make sure there is enough water in the input pipe and enough free room in the output pipe as they need quite a lot of both when they are showering. Check the liquid overlay if the flow doesn't stop on either side when they're showering.

Put a valve on the output of the shower before it joins with anything else. That fixes your problem. You don't need to set the throughput just use the default. With the output valve it doesn't matter how long or straight the input or output pipes are it always works without blocking.

33 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Put a valve on the output of the shower before it joins with anything else. That fixes your problem. You don't need to set the throughput just use the default. With the output valve it doesn't matter how long or straight the input or output pipes are it always works without blocking.

That doesn't quite match with what I know about how valves work. If used on plain pipe it never has bigger throughput than the pipe itself, and when used as a joint, it has lower priority than packets going through the target pipe, unlike simple pipe joint that will alternate the inputs. Could you elaborate?

44 minutes ago, Kasuha said:

That doesn't quite match with what I know about how valves work. If used on plain pipe it never has bigger throughput than the pipe itself, and when used as a joint, it has lower priority than packets going through the target pipe, unlike simple pipe joint that will alternate the inputs. Could you elaborate?

No. I do not care to elaborate. It just works. Why? I don't know but it always works without fail.

50 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

No. I do not care to elaborate. It just works. Why? I don't know but it always works without fail.

Then I guess it only works for you because you build your pipeworks wrong. Yeah there are situations where valves or bridges help. But that has nothing to do with showers.

2 hours ago, Kasuha said:

Then I guess it only works for you because you build your pipeworks wrong. Yeah there are situations where valves or bridges help. But that has nothing to do with showers.

Then I guess your understanding is incorrect. Putting a valve (set at default value) on the output of a shower always prevents blocking regardless of the pipes before or after.

I have tested this 10s of times in different set-ups, so has other users such as @Fatmice and come to the same conclusion. It is counterintuitive but it works.

1 hour ago, Saturnus said:

Then I guess your understanding is incorrect. Putting a valve (set at default value) on the output of a shower always prevents blocking regardless of the pipes before or after.

I have tested this 10s of times in different set-ups, so has other users such as @Fatmice and come to the same conclusion. It is counterintuitive but it works.

Reading the post you refer to, it seems to me the pipes maybe don't behave that way anymore. There is no delay on pipe bends. And pipe joints may introduce delay in packet delivery but packets will merge before them as long as they're not the maximum size.

So perhaps your valves are fixing something that used to be a problem before but isn't an issue anymore.

1 hour ago, Kasuha said:

So perhaps your valves are fixing something that used to be a problem before but isn't an issue anymore.

Nope. Still as relevant as always. Please refer to the OP heres post. Solves the problem without using superfluously complex pipe set ups.

For now I'm just going to have to conclude that you haven't added anything useful to this thread in any way except questioning a solution that demonstratively works, is tested by others and which is the least complicated solution to the OPs problem. 

6 minutes ago, Risu said:

Sounds to me like a bridge would suffice for your placebo effect as a valve at max pressure is functionally a bridge.

I thought so too but it doesn't for some reason I can't figure out. Most of the time it works but then suddenly you get the case where it doesn't work. The valve always works.

12 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

For now I'm just going to have to conclude that you haven't added anything useful to this thread in any way except questioning a solution that demonstratively works, is tested by others and which is the least complicated solution to the OPs problem.

For now I'm just going to have to conlude that you haven't added anything useful to this thread in any way, don't understand how pipe transfer works, and propose superflously complex pipe set ups where simple pipe joint is completely sufficient.

Here's how it looks when the packet is forced to merge with another immediately and there isn't a single other task to be taken.
What did interrupt the shower at some point was sleeping and the toilet.

20170420095547_1.jpg20170420095601_1.jpg20170420095618_1.jpg

8 hours ago, Moggles said:

Still liking that bubble under the inputs/outputs mod :)

What mod?

11 hours ago, Kasuha said:

Reading the post you refer to, it seems to me the pipes maybe don't behave that way anymore. There is no delay on pipe bends. And pipe joints may introduce delay in packet delivery but packets will merge before them as long as they're not the maximum size.

Pipe behavior is still the same as before thermo update, less the mass conservation issues, which was not the pipe but the pipe junction to other things like pipe bridge, pipe valve, etc.

Using either straight pipe sections (minimum of 5) or pipe valve prevents the musical chair problem with showers.

The reason probably has to do with the physical simulation of the showers and pipes.  They output a continuous stream of 1000g packets while being used whereas other objects, like the toilet, buffer their output then send out the largest packet possible to the pipe.  Since pipe do not merge their contents except at junctions (T pipes, pipe->pipe bridge/pipe valve, pipe -> machine) any hold up of a packet can cause a cascading effect upstream if there isn't enough "slack."  If the pipe is not updated every tick but only every two ticks, a continuous stream of 1000g could get "stuck" from this effect.  A straight section of pipes or a pipe valve can provide the needed slack and thus ameliorate the issue.

This issue with the showers is not new.  It's been around since the release of Alpha...I've seen plenty of Youtubers exasperated with their dupes doing the shower dance, sometimes the entire cycle.

Also the grimy status is removed from a dupe when a shower produced 45kg of polluted water.  Thus a dupe need not finish a shower from beginning to end, just that it has to be there at completion of the "task."  The shower is just a machine churning away at task when there is a dupe in it, much like a hamster wheel.

Obviously nothing is blocking the showers anymore so they are working. However, it's worth noting that some activities like eating, sleeping and using toilets overrides showering so the person that is "using" the shower could simply be doing any of those activities.

I can see a guy using the outhouse. Maybe that's the guy that was in the shower?

Archived