Long Pig (Demand)

I demand long pig back. Yes it might be quite grotesque but so is starving...

If balancing was an issue just make it available only in gamemodes: Survival and Wilderness

On Survival long pig would drop when a player dies for the first time dropping 2 pieces of long pig (or 1), but any death after that will no longer drop long pig as it can be abused. Hence why Endless shouldn't have long pig.

Wilderness would drop it on all deaths (do people even play wilderness though?)

Thanks for your time and can't wait for it to be implemented. ;)

IDEA: Maybe even include long pig in the recipe for the telltale heart, adding a weird dynamic of players would rather eat their dead friend or save them!!

I don't know if "demand" is the right word to use here.

Not everybody wants the game to be quite THAT dark, and there's a mod for it already.  More than one, in fact.  If you want _your_ game to have cannibalism, go for it.  To "demand" that the WHOLE game have that just implemented by default...(sarcastic laugh) a ha ha ha  ha.  No.

That's kinda why mods exist, after all. So individual players can have things that the developers or the community at large might _not_ want.

...Notorious

4 hours ago, blowtorch said:

I demand long pig back. Yes it might be quite grotesque but so is starving...

If balancing was an issue just make it available only in gamemodes: Survival and Wilderness

On Survival long pig would drop when a player dies for the first time dropping 2 pieces of long pig (or 1), but any death after that will no longer drop long pig as it can be abused. Hence why Endless shouldn't have long pig.

Wilderness would drop it on all deaths (do people even play wilderness though?)

Thanks for your time and can't wait for it to be implemented. ;)

IDEA: Maybe even include long pig in the recipe for the telltale heart, adding a weird dynamic of players would rather eat their dead friend or save them!!

Not going to be added bucko your demand will not be meant

It was dropped as many Kiel devs have said before for its dark and rather gross theme. Not that it was a game balance issue. It wasn't even ever in the game to begin with will offically.

4 hours ago, Donke60 said:

Not going to be added bucko your demand will not be meant

It was dropped as many Kiel devs have said before for its dark and rather gross theme. Not that it was a game balance issue. It wasn't even ever in the game to begin with will offically.

But would you want it implemented?

I still remember people complaining about Long Pig back in DST Early-Access, and not a lot of people actually wanted cannibalism out of the game.I am completely fine with cannibalism in DST, however the game's rating MIGHT be affected by its addition. 

Also, human meat is currently very useless as it always reduces health and it cannot be used in a Crock Pot. I would like it better if it acted like regular Meat instead or at least like Monster Meat.

@Donke60 It officially is in the game. Enter c_spawn('humanmeat') into your console.

1 hour ago, JohnWatson said:

I still remember people complaining about Long Pig back in DST Early-Access, and not a lot of people actually wanted cannibalism out of the game.I am completely fine with cannibalism in DST, however the game's rating MIGHT be affected by its addition. 

Also, human meat is currently very useless as it always reduces health and it cannot be used in a Crock Pot. I would like it better if it acted like regular Meat instead or at least like Monster Meat.

The bold part is really why no one cares about it. Not wanting it back because it's too dark is one thing, but it also was absolutely filler and horrible meat type, which was useful for nothing.

The penalties inflicted by long pig were meaningful: your morals were supposed to prevail. Ditching them lowered sanity and health more than monster meat while nourishing less.

The thing can be spawned through a console or unlocked with mods. Given how people shrieked about it, best left this way.

32 minutes ago, Arlesienne said:

The penalties inflicted by long pig were meaningful: your morals were supposed to prevail. Ditching them lowered sanity and health more than monster meat while nourishing less.

You and your friend are near-death. Your mate manages to die first and drops one mere single piece of meat. Now you have two choices.

A: Don't eat the meat and die from natural causes.

B: Do eat the meat and die from its rubbish stats.

It was just terrible as food. It would be worth abandoning my morals if long pig was actually worth eating, but all it did was put a dent in your health no matter if you cook it or not. It was merely food never worth eating, that's all it was. And as I said, you couldn't even put it in a cooker, it's just rubbish.

Testing your morals would be a great mechanic, nonetheless, but it needs to be worth it. Any other food item just beats the meat when it comes to stat restoration.

The only use I could see for long pig, in its current state, is killing Spiders and Werepigs by leaving them on the ground or force-feeding in PvP. However, long pig is very impractical and tedious to acquire in large quantities.

8 hours ago, JohnWatson said:

@Donke60 It officially is in the game. Enter c_spawn('humanmeat') into your console

Thats not what I meant I know its there but its just rement litke the Jury rigg  portal,deadly feast and tree clumps there still there sure but they don't really do anything best left remembered or forgotten.

1 hour ago, JohnWatson said:

You and your friend are near-death. Your mate manages to die first and drops one mere single piece of meat. Now you have two choices.

A: Don't eat the meat and die from natural causes.

B: Do eat the meat and die from its rubbish stats.

It was just terrible as food. It would be worth abandoning my morals if long pig was actually worth eating, but all it did was put a dent in your health no matter if you cook it or not. It was merely food never worth eating, that's all it was. And as I said, you couldn't even put it in a cooker, it's just rubbish.

Testing your morals would be a great mechanic, nonetheless, but it needs to be worth it. Any other food item just beats the meat when it comes to stat restoration.

The only use I could see for long pig, in its current state, is killing Spiders and Werepigs by leaving them on the ground or force-feeding in PvP. However, long pig is very impractical and tedious to acquire in large quantities.

What I want to highlight is that Klei seems to have wanted to punish whoever decided eating that noob that died once again or, worse, inciting them to do something bound to kill them, would be fun for multiplayer. There used to be some moral to its existence, yet the uproar of customer base proved it was not worth it. I don't think it could kill spiders and werepigs, seeing how they eat monster meat just fine, but perhaps it works on the bearger (who is poisoned by enough monster meat and red caps). To be honest though, I'm too lazy to test it. As @MeingroessterFan said, it's done, whoever wants it back without the console has several mods on the workshop. Fin.

The only reason I would want it would be so animals can eat you if they kill you. After all why are hounds (example) trying to kill you? So they can eat you of course so it would only make sense if they actually could

P.S. I'm not agreeing that it should be added in normally I'm just explaining why I have the mod long pig installed

P.P.S. I don't eat the long pig EVER and besides the only person I'd have to eat is myself 

P.P.P.S. long pig is horrible for you I don't know why on earth you would want to eat it

TTFN! (Ta ta for now)

Human meat does kill Spiders and Werepigs. Spiders, Werepigs, and Webber don't get hurt by Monster Meat because they have the 'strongstomach' variable in their eater component set to true, which prevents stat penalties from eating food items with a 'monstermeat' tag. Monster meat and its cooked, dried, and lasagna variants are the only food items with the 'monstermeat' tag. Long pig does not have the tag so its penalties apply normally.

This does not make long pig worth, but it is interesting to note.

I never saw this long pig thing. Do I understand it correctly that people wanted it removed because of its bad stats or because it is "wrong" to eat your beloved? Because I couldn't care less about the second one. haha

Edit. oops older topic. I was zipping through unread threads

28 minutes ago, disies said:

I never saw this long pig thing. Do I understand it correctly that people wanted it removed because of its bad stats or because it is "wrong" to eat your beloved? Because I couldn't care less about the second one. haha

Edit. oops older topic. I was zipping through unread threads

For me, it would be nice if they made a boss that is a giant pig that dropped this meat, maybe it appeared after the player killed 100 pigs, as if it were a ghost pig that came to take revenge, since the item already exists, but would also give Work then I don't know.

Why would the rating be an issue? Bump it up if need be, a lot of people don't care either way and think it's a stupid idea to begin with, and they have pretty good points to support their case, myself included (I can hear "but think of the children" people getting triggered from me just writing that. Git Thick!).

ESRB is in relation to the PS4, correct? On the PC, it doesn't even need a rating, because it's an indie game. Regardless, the game already includes a lot of dark themes, simply that the way they are executed are clever in ways that can make the most sensitive of "think of the children" people just brush it off as fine, and DST's not the only thing that goofs its way out with dark themes. I would argue that the very existence of PvP in this game makes it a bit dark, but the existence of a plethora of other competitive combat-like games with low or no ratings at all could make people numb to the idea.

Regardless, it won't happen even if we want it, because of "think of the children" argument. And you can't argue with that because if you do, you supposedly lack morals :D

On 7/17/2017 at 5:37 AM, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

Why would the rating be an issue? Bump it up if need be, a lot of people don't care either way and think it's a stupid idea to begin with, and they have pretty good points to support their case, myself included (I can hear "but think of the children" people getting triggered from me just writing that. Git Thick!).

ESRB is in relation to the PS4, correct? On the PC, it doesn't even need a rating, because it's an indie game. Regardless, the game already includes a lot of dark themes, simply that the way they are executed are clever in ways that can make the most sensitive of "think of the children" people just brush it off as fine, and DST's not the only thing that goofs its way out with dark themes. I would argue that the very existence of PvP in this game makes it a bit dark, but the existence of a plethora of other competitive combat-like games with low or no ratings at all could make people numb to the idea.

Regardless, it won't happen even if we want it, because of "think of the children" argument. And you can't argue with that because if you do, you supposedly lack morals :D 

Good god man, try to gain some perspective beyond your feelings. I agree with you that the long pig is no big deal, but this was an issue decided upon long ago, and for reasons including and far beyond what individual players thought. There's a whole big world out there outside of these forums and what we think is acceptable for a game.  

You want to argue ratings and the fairness, fine, go to the people who set them up. These forums are not the place. Klei is an indie game developer, not the legislators. Why would or should they stand up against the corporate masses for a single in-game entity that their players disapproved of?

Actually, don't answer that, I don't really care. This is a video game, and I'm not investing real world politics into it. If the majority didn't like something and the developers agreed, fine. I may or may not agree, but it's not my decision to make. My decision is playing the game as it exists, and encouraging others to have the same fun with it I am. 

On 7/17/2017 at 8:37 AM, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

Why would the rating be an issue? Bump it up if need be-

"Why would the rating be an issue?" That is a ridiculously easy thing for YOU to say. Why is rating EVER an issue for any game developer ever?

Whatever, look.. ratings aside, this Long Pig discussion is very similar to the DayZ/H1Z1 debates as to whether or not the need to urinate and defecate should be in the game. Is it a defensible position to say that there shouldn't be a problem with its implementation? Yes absolutely. Should it be implemented? No. It doesn't bring enough to the table in terms of gameplay.

Now, yes, Don't Starve flirts with the concept of morality and humanity, and yes, cannibalism flirts with this as well, but not in a way canonical to Don't Starve. Don't Starve challenges this with things like Krampus, tree guards, etc. Much less 'SAW', much more 'Dr Sues'. It's stylish and practical. I feel that the gently rambunctious, almost juvenile style that the game like to flaunt makes its dark aspects 'pop' into the center stage better. It gives the mind pause, when you steal a tallbird egg and its mother desperately chases you literally halfway across the world, to the severity of your actions. "What have I done?"

The other day, there was a tallbird nest next to my base in Don't Starve (not DS:T). The rules work differently in that game. So I killed the tallbird, not realizing she was a mother to a tallbird chick. Despite prompting me with the ability to feed the chick, I couldn't feed it because it was afraid of me and would run. I didn't know what to do. In its starving state it perpetually cried for its mommy. I got to listen to that horrible crying all night, until it fell silent when it died of starvation. Picking the morsel up off the ground the next day, I felt like a slightly terrible person. THAT'S how this game captures darkness. The otherwise inconsequential chirps of a starving smallbird that YOU orphaned. Not the shock value of cannibalism.

@imsomony ratings aren't a legal requirement to begin with, it's just a thing made up by a private corporation to pander to some people is all.

"Good god man, try to gain some perspective beyond your feelings."

No idea what you mean. What part of my feelings specifically does anything in this have to do with anything?

In terms of ratings of a particular game, no, I very well think that if you're talking about the rating of a game in the game's forum, that's something you're certainly allowed to discuss. And who are you to tell me what kinds of things are and aren't allowed to be discussed about the game in question? How is any of this political, if the ratings have nothing to do with the law and aren't a legal requirement?

"Actually, don't answer that, I don't really care."

If you don't care to hear an answer, then don't care to answer back yourself, does that sound fair?

@StealthBeast

""Why would the rating be an issue?" That is a ridiculously easy thing for YOU to say. Why is rating EVER an issue for any game developer ever?"

Most of the time, it isn't. Most parents buy games with higher ratings for their kids regardless. As for the rest of your post, I think you're just trying to reason the unreasonable, and it's a bit funny how you laid it all out, almost to a point of getting puffed up about it. Calm your horses, this isn't a competition of who has the biggest appeal. Reason your way through; that's what discussions are for.

Archived