Decoding the ancient language

I decided to change this to its own topic so that it doesn't get lost.

I think we should be able to translate the ancient language now. We have the full picture, and the key from earlier puzzles:

wall-detail.jpg.5b86dd9783fc351de7912b0d

Symbols.png.34f418e9eeba3f2ac898977ce870

If you look on the left hand side of the mural you can see the section on how the ancients obtained thulecite.

The 'S' symbol clearly stands for the worker class of the ancients, as it only appears where resources are being produced/gathered.

We have the symbol for 'incantation' from the key above, which could also be interpreted as prayer. This is further supported by the presence of a centipede (antlion???) creature in this section, and the apparent tribute procession shown below it. I believe that these may have been the original 'gods' of the ancients, but have mostly died off now (Maxwell asks the antlion "Where is your pride?"; aka, where are the rest of your species).

The final symbol is the spiral symbol from the thulecite compound-symbol. I think this is apparent enough to make the connection.

What I deduce from this is that thulecite was gathered from the centipedes, through a religious prayer or ritual.

Update:

@Cheetos created this spreadsheet to make it easier to compare interpretations:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IQ8pFhdRU1EQaisSea_-ckvhYq1ryI_ZJ2hcsxyX6DA/edit#gid=0

10 minutes ago, Rellimarual said:

You've got two of the three glyphs from the video, though. Just need the blocky glyph for tenebris. Can't be arrived at by deduction?

Even if we did know the counterpart to Tenebris... we couldn't do much with it. Unless it is required for the future of this puzzle, if it's not in any language we can understand it's useless to us.

Well, if we combine the ones we learned from the thulian mural and the shadow letters we already knew, then we know what like 12 of them are. That's a pretty good starting point for being able to guess some of the others in the sentences.

This is partially relevant for fun lore reasons (The 4 murals are coated in shadow letters, after all) and partially because the puzzle doesn't seem quite over. There is apparently a new "sacred chest" ingame that requires certain items to solve??? It's been found ingame.

As well, we haven't used the code from the video yet. And the code from the video is referenced in the mural.

vgKU2.pngvgKVl.png

The first letter from the video is the one in the keyhole and on the right, and it's followed by the second video letter, which we theorized in thulian to mean the staff. The third letter in thulian was theorized to mean the cave, whilst the third letter in the video we know means Dark.

The letter does seem to mean "cave" because it appears multiple times on the upper left.

This might be a hint on how to solve the sacred chest? The key is the staff in the cave/dark? I'unno.

edit:Okay, so, it seems the solution to the chest puzzle indeed lies in translating the language. In the second phase of the puzzle, you have a set of notched blocks, and shadow letters, that you have to put in a certain order of a 6 slot "chest". Well, this 6-slot chest is now ingame, the notched blocks are amounts for item stacks, and the shadow letters are what to put in those slots.

Just now, Tumalu said:

Here's what I got so far. It's disgusting, I know, but function over form. Someone can make it actually legible later. The second one is berries, by the way, and that hazy one on the upper right is a green gem. We should be able to get carrots and honey pretty easily too.

vgN3x.png

If we cross check items that the mastermind puzzle only asks for one of, we could probably narrow it down to items that only stack up to one.

ONbCP1l.png : Stacks up to one for me; definitely rabbit.

wMI0X3w.png : I don't have this one; ancient key?

vQirm7B.png : Stacks up to one for me; walking cane maybe?

I believe the mastermind puzzle has different characters for every player.

i also just don't see how anything involving actual gameplay could be dependent on solving a puzzle the only a minority of players will ever know about and that probably will expire at some point. Will the chest only appear to players who have solved the Matheus puzzle? If not, the how will players who don't know about the puzzle be able to use it?

3 minutes ago, Rellimarual said:

i also just don't see how anything involving actual gameplay could be dependent on solving a puzzle the only a minority of players will ever know about and that probably will expire at some point. Will the chest only appear to players who have solved the Matheus puzzle? If not, the how will players who don't know about the puzzle be able to use it?

If it "expires" then the chest will be removed, most likely. Otherwise it probably won't expire. This is a multiplayer game, so people will use word of mouth, ask around, etc. If they don't know, then, well, that's the price to pay for having an indepth puzzle like this for part of the community to enjoy.

It's probably not SUPER important or anything, anyway.

With this many letters, once it's composed in a more legible state for use as a translation guide, someone could probably tackle the sentences all over the 4 murals.

1 minute ago, Rellimarual said:

I'd say it's probably in the same vein as the Shipwrecked announcement puzzle where people had to find items in game.

2 minutes ago, Lillyfur said:

In my solved puzzle, the symbol you have for "staff" stacks to three.

I also have the "insanity" symbol in my code, and it stacks to two.

Ones with a question mark, I'm not sure. The rest I'm almost -completely- positive about.

Insanity is probably nightmare fuel. It could be a nightmare amulet, but I wouldn't think so.

"offering" and "food" are probably right, but I think the one Cherryzion listed as "Gems" is specifically the purple gem.

Yeah, I got that last symbol wrong for sure. I dunno if it means thulians but it's not mining/pick-axe.

The P,, one is purple gem tho. And the top one isn't "food", it's berries.

edit:yeah it's probably thulians after all.

edit again:This guy's list is pretty good too. It caught one of the ones I couldn't translate.

5 minutes ago, MULK said:

Almost same as Tumalu, i am little bit behind. 

Something.png

Archived