(Suggestion) Fire hazards

It came to me yesterday that having such a huge oxygen concentration in your base can lead to an explosion or fire, as any concentration of oxygen over 21% is highly explosive. Since we have magma in the game maybe fire should be added and a new machine that would mix oxygen with carbon to create a breathable non explosive mixture called air... I know oxygen and CO2 dont make air but it could be simplified for gameplay reasons.

We would have to restrain from using a high concentration of oxygen in our base, and more importantly running an obsolete machine in a high concentration of oxygen should cause at best a fire and at worse a massive explosion. 

With fire added to the game we could also imagine a lot of new gameplay mechanics like building fire doors, have fire detectors and make a sprinkler setup to extinguish it, also dupes would have to be on red alert in such a situation and fight the fire, this fire would if not contained slowly melt your base and cause massive destruction.

Just my 2 cents, great game btw, keep up the good work, I am looking forward to the next updates :p  

2 hours ago, Last Templar said:

any concentration of oxygen over 21% is highly explosive

Oxygen is not explosive on its own. You need to have it mixed with something flamable such as hydrogen, methane, or organic particles such as flour to give it something to react with. In ONI, gases don't mix, so you cannot have an explosive mixture. And even if you have such mixture, you need some initial impulse such as a flame or a spark to initiate the reaction.

There could be explosions if a tile of hydrogen is right next to tile of oxygen and there's a hot machine in the tiles they cover. Or a piece of algae could catch fire if it's very hot and in high concentration oxygen. But the first would I believe get annoying rather than fun, and the other would be too rare occurrence to be worth implementing (unless meant to have some use the players might benefit from).

you are right but what I meant is that operating any machine in a room filled with high oxygen pressure is something that is not taken lightly in our world, and with all that hydrogen lying around its a major risk.

Fire risk:

Highly concentrated sources of oxygen promote rapid combustion. Oxygen itself is not flammable, but the addition of concentrated oxygen to a fire greatly increases its intensity, and can aid the combustion of materials (such as metals) which are relatively inert under normal conditions. Fire and explosion hazards exist when concentrated oxidants and fuels are brought into close proximity; however, an ignition event, such as heat or a spark, is needed to trigger combustion.[32] A well-known example of an accidental fire accelerated by pure oxygen under pressure occurred in the Apollo 1 spacecraft in January 1967 during a ground test; it killed all three astronauts. A similar accident killed Soviet cosmonaut Valentin Bondarenko in 1961.

Combustion hazards also apply to compounds of oxygen with a high oxidative potential, such as peroxides, chlorates, nitrates, perchlorates, and dichromates because they can donate oxygen to a fire.

Concentrated O2 will allow combustion to proceed rapidly and energetically.[32] Steel pipes and storage vessels used to store and transmit both gaseous and liquid oxygen will act as a fuel; and therefore the design and manufacture of O2 systems requires special training to ensure that ignition sources are minimized.[32] Highly concentrated oxygen in a high-pressure environment can spontaneously ignite hydrocarbons such as oil and grease, resulting in fire or explosion. The heat caused by rapid pressurization serves as the ignition source. For this reason, storage vessels, regulators, piping and any other equipment used with highly concentrated oxygen must be "oxygen-clean" prior to use, to ensure the absence of potential fuels. This does not apply only to pure oxygen; any concentration significantly higher than atmospheric (approximately 21%) carries a potential risk.

On 4/9/2017 at 7:21 AM, Kasuha said:

Oxygen is not explosive on its own. You need to have it mixed with something flamable such as hydrogen, methane, or organic particles such as flour to give it something to react with. In ONI, gases don't mix, so you cannot have an explosive mixture. And even if you have such mixture, you need some initial impulse such as a flame or a spark to initiate the reaction.

There could be explosions if a tile of hydrogen is right next to tile of oxygen and there's a hot machine in the tiles they cover. Or a piece of algae could catch fire if it's very hot and in high concentration oxygen. But the first would I believe get annoying rather than fun, and the other would be too rare occurrence to be worth implementing (unless meant to have some use the players might benefit from).

There IS Hydrogen in game, so maybe add the effect of DO NOT LET HYDROGEN AND OXYGEN MIX IN HIGH DOSES would be a really neat idea, and I think the fire alarms and fire doors, etc. would also be an incredible thought, and make it to where things have a Ignite Temperature in which they would just burst into flames, thus making certain clothing flammable, beds, plants, etc....that could really make the heat aspect highly problematic in which you would need your farms not too close to cold, but not to close to heat....and it would make you NEED   a heat deterring outfit in some areas otherwise the dupes can light on fire to....just some thought of mine to add onto everything.

This could also be developed into a tool as well, imagine pumping a small chamber full of hydrogen/oxygen mixture and then deliberately igniting it with a space heater that would ignite it after it reached a certain temperature in order to blast through materials not able to be penetrated with the mining tool, or for clearing/mining large areas.

Archived