What's the most frustrating thing you see people frequently do?

5 hours ago, Rellimarual said:

People who knock down every pig house on the map. Leave the villages in place because you never know when someone out on the map might need some pigs and if the pig houses in your base burn down, that's it. Get pig skins from werepigs if you need 50 houses.

its also just depressing when the world at large is devoid of pig houses.

THANK YOU

6 hours ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

The thing that infuriates me, and a lot of pro players do this, is destroy pig houses for quick resources.  Thanks for ruining the game for everyone else. Those people are grieffers. 

Which is a shame since I just found out how to do that on singleplayer. I'm just trying to break them down to put the houses near my camp to recycle but that sounds horrible. :wilsondisappointed:

57 minutes ago, minespatch said:

Which is a shame since I just found out how to do that on singleplayer. I'm just trying to break them down to put the houses near my camp to recycle but that sounds horrible. :wilsondisappointed:

Personally I think knocking down pig heads on full moon is better for building pig houses than destroying already existing pig houses, as pig heads contribute nothing to the game while pigmen can be used for manure, meat, pig skin and a helper.

8 hours ago, minespatch said:

Some people are annoyed with ruining any of the world.  You see some people say they don't like you even picking flowers...  In reality there is an extremely small risk of actually losing pigs in the world, and you can easily keep 1 pig house held in your build menu to insure against this.  I think it's a good tactic to help get things set up quickly to hammer down some pig houses, and use those materials to help get some chests and crock pots set up, and to move some pigs to a better spot.  I also like moving the pigs away from Glommer's Statue so he doesn't die when I go to get him.

Don't feel horrible about using the world.  It's not hard to farm up pig skins to rebuild pig houses later.

Just now, Shosuko said:

Don't feel horrible about using the world.  It's not hard to farm up pig skins to rebuild pig houses later.

I know, I just started finding out how to hammer the pig heads at the touchstone and village to make pig houses.

One thing that really frustrates me from new players, and I've seen this happen in the game and even more so in videos, is that they will have the mental capacity to make farms, sometimes crock pots even, but none of them ever even attempt to make drying racks. I seriously don't understand why, do they hate jerky in real life so they think it'll taste disgustingly in the game for their player character?

And if it's due to the waiting game you have to do for the meat to dry, well, the same is for farms! And for small meats, it will only take a day to dry if rain doesn't intervene, which it rarely does in autumn and often quite insignificantly. And since they are new players, they would probably be getting small meat a lot instead, so things like morsels from rabbits, which dries real fast and the reward is a boost for all the stats!

23 minutes ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

One thing that really frustrates me from new players, and I've seen this happen in the game and even more so in videos, is that they will have the mental capacity to make farms, sometimes crock pots even, but none of them ever even attempt to make drying racks. I seriously don't understand why, do they hate jerky in real life so they think it'll taste disgustingly in the game for their player character?

And if it's due to the waiting game you have to do for the meat to dry, well, the same is for farms! And for small meats, it will only take a day to dry if rain doesn't intervene, which it rarely does in autumn and often quite insignificantly. And since they are new players, they would probably be getting small meat a lot instead, so things like morsels from rabbits, which dries real fast and the reward is a boost for all the stats!

I know what you mean, but most of them seem to be unaware of the benefits of jerky and to be living hand to mouth. They think all racks do is make meat last longer and they need meatballs right now! They don't see the point of drying it if they're just going to pop it in a crockpot with three berries because they need the hunger points so badly. 

Racks also require a lot of grass and new players often are short of grass because it's boring to gather and it takes some experience to realize you just need buckets of grass to get anything done in this game. 

51 minutes ago, Rellimarual said:

I know what you mean, but most of them seem to be unaware of the benefits of jerky and to be living hand to mouth. They think all racks do is make meat last longer and they need meatballs right now! They don't see the point of drying it if they're just going to pop it in a crockpot with three berries because they need the hunger points so badly. 

Racks also require a lot of grass and new players often are short of grass because it's boring to gather and it takes some experience to realize you just need buckets of grass to get anything done in this game. 

Oh, but farms don't? XD

Huh, so that's what drying meat irl is for, huh, didn't know. Guess it makes a bit more sense for new players not to bother with them.

Hmm, what do you think about the bee boxes though? It's not too difficult for newbies to destroy a hive and the bees in it, so it's strange they don't try to set even one up somewhere for honey.

53 minutes ago, Rellimarual said:

As someone who likes to camp near the savannah for beefalo fur, thanks for the tip. That'll help me out.

6 hours ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

Oh, but farms don't? XD

Well the benefits of farms are more obvious then the drying racks.

6 hours ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

Hmm, what do you think about the bee boxes though? It's not too difficult for newbies to destroy a hive and the bees in it, so it's strange they don't try to set even one up somewhere for honey.

I think bee boxes also fall into the same issue as drying racks. Extremely useful, but it's effects aren't really obvious to new players.

1 hour ago, KoreanWaffles said:

When people dig up graves.

Do shadow puppets count as people?

I'm looking at it like "Why'd you have to go and ruin a perfectly good grave?

Well... why not?

You didn't even bother to pick up the Potato Cup it left behind.

Well, if it's early in the game and inventory space is limited... trinkets aren't worth it (unless it's a gnome or potato cup. Then it's worth bringing along). Now once you have someplace to stash your stuff and know where the pig king is, then they become useful.

Well, that's my excuse anyway...

7 hours ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

Oh, but farms don't? XD

Farms don't require them to give up the meat they have in their hands right now. All farms take is a seed that was free and can't be cooked in a crockpot. And really, if all you have is a few morsels, meatballs now makes more sense then jerky later. 

Bee boxes are somewhat elaborate: you have to make a net, and then deal with the killer bees when you catch the yellow ones and destroy a hive, and that's a bit intimidating. Then the boxes only produce when they're the right distance away and there are flowers near them, which can lead people to think that they don't really work that well. I think newbs just want to forage stuff and put it in the crockpot. These other food sources/prep methods are more long-term with less obvious immediate benefits. If you know the game, you know farms aren't great for the time they take and jerky is worth the hassle of setting up racks, but none of that is obvious to a new player.

i introduced the game to a friend who plays very casually. She just likes to build a couple of crockpots and a fridge and a bunch of farms and putter around.  She had no idea you could use a birdcage to grow one particular crop and she'd never built a drying rack until we started playing DST. Only recently has she even eaten jerky because she became obsessed with growing dragonfruit after I showed her how, and since I'm playing as Wig, she leaves the meat to me. It just doesn't seem worth it until you have a bunch of meat, which seldom happens if you're not farming it.

58 minutes ago, Rellimarual said:

Farms don't require them to give up the meat they have in their hands right now. All farms take is a seed that was free and can't be cooked in a crockpot. And really, if all you have is a few morsels, meatballs now makes more sense then jerky later. 

Bee boxes are somewhat elaborate: you have to make a net, and then deal with the killer bees when you catch the yellow ones and destroy a hive, and that's a bit intimidating. Then the boxes only produce when they're the right distance away and there are flowers near them, which can lead people to think that they don't really work that well. I think newbs just want to forage stuff and put it in the crockpot. These other food sources/prep methods are more long-term with less obvious immediate benefits. If you know the game, you know farms aren't great for the time they take and jerky is worth the hassle of setting up racks, but none of that is obvious to a new player.

i introduced the game to a friend who plays very casually. She just likes to build a couple of crockpots and a fridge and a bunch of farms and putter around.  She had no idea you could use a birdcage to grow one particular crop and she'd never built a drying rack until we started playing DST. Only recently has she even eaten jerky because she became obsessed with growing dragonfruit after I showed her how, and since I'm playing as Wig, she leaves the meat to me. It just doesn't seem worth it until you have a bunch of meat, which seldom happens if you're not farming it.

Well, they could just use monster meat as meat filler for meatballs and such and leave the morsels to be dried... just saying. I mean, both are quite easy to get, and monster meat especially.

This isn't so much playing with others but watching streams or videos. It bugs me when people don't organize their inventory. I don't really care how you organize it, but at least put some thought behind it. Don't leave it up to randomness and chaos. 

1 hour ago, BluesyBuesy said:

This isn't so much playing with others but watching streams or videos. It bugs me when people don't organize their inventory. I don't really care how you organize it, but at least put some thought behind it. Don't leave it up to randomness and chaos. 

The same goes for camps. I cringe when I find a camp with everything placed around randomly. Extra cringe points for putting your ice box out of reach from the crockpots.

11 hours ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

I know that you said "new players" but if you're playing early game you should be spending your time mapping out the map and gathering important supplies rather than making racks. Time should be spent gathering only food that you need to keep going, there is no need for racks if there isn't an excess of food, and there are plenty of dishes that can be made in a crock pot that can substitute jerky. Most of the time in the early game I will want to be insane at times to start stocking up on NM fuel to rush magic ASAP so jerky would counter this, plus I'm usually in need of better hunger restoration rather than health and sanity, and find myself making meaty stews that for the average character can get you through two days easily. I think jerky is a great luxury item for when meat is an abundance, and if I were to pick one to build first I would build jerky racks before gardens (debatable when playing wicker).

The reason I believe that new players tend to build farms before racks is because they don't have the knowledge on how to gain a substantial quantity of meat, they're too busy eating any of the meat they get as they get it because they are new and do not understand how to be the most optimal, and how to do some things that we would consider easy. Seeds are everywhere because birds drop them commonly so by logic building something that can produce food with almost no effort sounds great when reading it on paper. Of course we all know that the reward is not worth the effort in such a small scale, but new players lack the experience to know these things.

I doubt anyone else has had this problem, but people that join late (like day 30), immediately ask where base is, when you don't tell them they intentionally die and sit around afk for 30 minutes to an hour. Now, normally this wouldn't be a problem, but when there's only two other people on the server (me and some guy that have been working together since day 3) then you can't kick them. 

Now, I play Woodie, so sanity isn't an issue, and I even inform the ghost of this, but he says he doesn't care and just wants to ruin my fun. I'm not bothered by his actions, I'm bothered by the reasoning behind his actions. I've had a guy sit there for 20 minutes typing profanities at me, and then sitting afk for another 30 minutes.

Sad to say, but this has happened to me on more than one occasion (different players). I guess that's what I get for playing on public servers late into the night, when everyone else has gone to bed.

Drying racks aren't a top priority, especially not in a season where there are enough berries, carrots and butterflies to keep a gang of wolves mighty and ready to fight-y at all times.

Now as a Wendy main and with ANR bringing in a guaranteed ten or more beehives near the Bee Queen and the bee attack range nerf... Is it even in question what I'd prefer to spend my time doing?

Picking grass? Nah, I'd prefer to wage war against the bees and take hostage any that remain after the bloodshed has come to a close.

One of my pet peeves is seeing people stay at base constantly, eat all your food and take any logs, sticks, grass, rocks, flint, or gold you put away.  Hell, they even take gems when they have no clue what they do.  Probably try to make a ring out of it to marry a beefalo.

"Hey what do i do with blue mushrooms?"

"Cook them for sanity or throw them away."

QQ0Cegp.png

As for other cases, i've seen people...

• Pick flowers around bee boxes
  • Hog the ice box and crock pot while a bunch of people are starving there desperately looking for emergency food
  • Blatantly ignore you when they clearly have enough time to type because they're sitting at base doing absolutely nothing
  • Constantly command other players to do whatever "because we need it" while barely doing anything themselves
  • Haunt everything when they're a ghost, with terrible results (haunting the crock pot which ruins all food, or changing hounds into fire hounds)
  • Follow you around and constantly pick up stuff that you try to collect without asking or bothering to help at all
  • Not use their character's main ability (i swear, the amount of Maxwells i see chopping trees with an axe and never using their book and nightmare fuel...)

Now the above is of course, mostly just uninformed and possibly unintentionally rude acts. You can tell those people to stop (it just doesn't always work).

What's below is plain griefing and terrible behavior.

• Burning/destroying people's bases and then calling them noobs, before crying about how somehow THEY were terribly abused because some guy didn't tell them how to get to base.
  • Placing a spider nest at spawn.
  • Stealing from dead players' bodies.. while they're still on the server... while they're still next to their corpse... while they're still telling others not to steal the items, because they'll be revived soon... Why would you do this? who does this rude bullcrap just because they saw some goodies on the ground? (Note that when a player ragequits or decides not to play on the server anymore, it's fine to take their items IMO. It's up to you whether you want to take that stuff though)

Aaaand that's about it. I'm glad there's a thread where i can vent about all the annoying crap people do when playing DST.

Archived