What's the most frustrating thing you see people frequently do?

Here's a few things that peeve me:

- Joining a server with good ping, only to be immediately kicked or banned 'cause it seems the host forgot to add a password or enable "friends only."

- Being followed by confused new players. Worse yet, confused new players following you into dangerous situations.

- People asking for me to give directions or trying to give me directions. I utilize the "Q" and "E" keys, meaning my west/left isn't your west/left. I'd be happy to equip a compass, but nobody ever seems to remember ANR added the function of being able to see your friends on the map to the compass.

- People trying to give me tips on how to play, without realizing I have over 800 hours in DST. I appreciate that they'd like to teach me if I were a new player how to play, but it comes off as patronizing. My Steam profile is public.

- "Where's base?" within the first couple of days, when everyone is out exploring trying to establish where base even should be. I can understand why you'd immediately want to know where base is if joining in winter or summer, but the second day of autumn?

1 hour ago, Ressayez said:

- People asking for me to give directions or trying to give me directions. I utilize the "Q" and "E" keys, meaning my west/left isn't your west/left. I'd be happy to equip a compass, but nobody ever seems to remember ANR added the function of being able to see your friends on the map to the compass.

This. On any given moment I have literally no idea which way is north because I'm constantly rotating my camera to see more. 

11 minutes ago, Sylveonite said:

This. On any given moment I have literally no idea which way is north because I'm constantly rotating my camera to see more. 

I usually rotate my camera to see more like we are supposed to, but I just remember the way a landmark is formed. Like which direction some random area is from the portal. That way I always have reference to the directions. This still doesn't excuse people for not knowing about camera rotation, however.

- Start worldregen vote because they died on their day 3 doing something completely careless, when its probably day 16th in the world.

- When such vote passes, because there are other 2 clueless people.

- People that finds amusement in starting votekick every time they are enabled to.

-When you have had a world with a small group of 2 or 3 people in summer or spring since autumn but then a whole bunch of new people join in spring, die, then reset the world because there are more new people than old people, reverting all of the progress that the old people had.

Yeah, I've had to tell people about directions sometimes too.  I rarely rotate the camera myself except when I need to get something that's, say, hidden behind a tree, but other people might rotate it all the time.  Therefore, we've figured out a method like this:

"Okay, you're at the spawn?"

"Yep."

"Is there a big pine tree really close to your right?"

"Yep".

"Good then you're facing the same way I am.  NOW I can give you directions to the rocks."

Based off an actual conversation.  :) As long as you have a common frame of reference, you can get other people to understand your directions.  Usually.

As for the votekicking...hoo-EE, am I ever glad I don't play on unmoderated servers!  Not public.  _Unmoderated_.  MY server is public--but it has an actual live admin.  THAT'S why the Klei servers are basically the Wild West--not because they have no password or friends-only, but because _no-one's in charge_. 

And people ask me "Where's base?" or "Do we have a base?" (a slightly more reasonable variant, given the circumstances) within the first day or three, as well!  Chill, people--at that point I'm still scoutin' around.  I probably won't get the _perfect_ place, but I do at least want something decent that's within reach of more than one type of resource.

Things that bother me that I have actually experienced include (a) bossy/show-off players, who are immediately "STEP aside, Junior, I'LL show ya how it's done!"--as a brand-new player on someone else's server--and on the other side of the scale, noobs who don't listen when you yell "RUN THIS WAY!" (and they're within view of you when you say it) when, say, the Deerclops is coming!  Or fire hounds.  And then your base gets destroyed anyway...

...Notorious

5 minutes ago, SuperDavid said:

Getting kicked for no reason the moment I joined a server.

This though I think it was also because I chose Willow. (Willow is my main sucka!)

Also, kicking players for playing Willow. Not every single one is a damn griefer! 

People asking for obvious things even when the solution for their problem is just a few clicks away.

People asking me to help with something, because they're too lazy/ignorant to do it themselves.

People complaining about a griefer. Just kick/ban them, no need to cry, jeez.

People kicking somebody just because they died. Yeah, that -2 sanity per minute is so scary. Revive them or shut up and let them either ressurect themselves or get bored and leave. Unless they're haunting the Crockpot. Now you have a good reason.

EDIT:

Oh, also people that message me when I've just started playing a game. Yeah, you know, it's cool and all, but there's a reason I've just launched this game. That Steam popup "<default> has started playing X" isn't an invitation to talk.

Or haunting hounds...AND MAKING THEM FIRE HOUNDS.  IN THE MIDDLE OF WINTER. NOT THAT THIS HAPPENED OR ANYTHING.  WHY AM I STILL TALKING LIKE THIS.

Also can I get an AMEN! to the kicking people for playing as Willow thing!  I'm a Willow main (more or less) and for pete's sake, people, _anybody_ can grief! 

Hasn't actually happened to me yet, but I did see people yelling "BAN THE WILLOW!" when I joined on a Klei server once.  Luckily the admin instead watched to see what I did first and the ban/kick vote never happened.

...Notorious

2 minutes ago, Quoth143 said:

This though I think it was also because I chose Willow. (Willow is my main sucka!)

Also, kicking players for playing Willow. Not every single one is a damn griefer! 

I main Webber & on a couple servers I planted like a couple Spider Dens around my base for food then I got banned for being a "griefer"...¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Going in the wilderness to collect resources.

Coming back, checking the ice box(es) for some food.

Sees no food in the ice box(es).

Sees the guys from the camp doing nothing than looking around and checking if there is food every 10 seconds.

8 hours ago, JohnWatson said:

Picking flowers.

This. After being told flowers near beeboxes are for bees, whereas the ones on the lawn spawn butterflies.

Also, KILLING TENTACLES. They are my defence pets. Playing a non-Wicker, I cannot just read a book and spawn them.

8 hours ago, jantonio said:

anime mods.

This, though on my servers, none of this is a risk.

5 hours ago, Quoth143 said:

Oh yes.

Players that think multiplayer cooperation means being on the same screen as eachother at all times.

Players that think multiplayer means everybody should be talking at every single moment.

Players that think the internet means everybody wants to hear their live typed up commentary on every single act they perform.

Players that sit at the base and literally just consume resources.

Players that join games in progress then complain that it is too difficult to survive.

Players that think they're the boss and want to command everybody else because human ego.

Players that exploit meta to abuse flaws in things like the enemy pathfinding.

Players that dig up every single thing in the map to make a colossal farm that defeats the point of resource gathering.

Players that regenerate servers.

Players that use Wigfrid, Wolfgang, Maxwell or Wickerbottom.

Players that spam examine things to pass time when they're bored.

Players that consume resources without any awareness for how it will effect others.

Players that quit just because they died once.

Players that automatically vote to kick new people during harsh seasons.

Players that expect people to babysit them the moment they arrive.

4 minutes ago, The Curator said:

People can play what character they want. Lately I realised that if you,me or anyone else play a ''meta'' or a ''non-meta'' character, you will be immediately judged in a bad way. This needs to stop in my opinion. It's not like Overwatch where you got a ranking system and you have to ''main'' a character.

1 minute ago, Mananu said:

People can play what character they want.

Yeah they can. So Wigfrid and Wolfgang can solo giants with base equipment, Maxwell can level forests and Wickerbottom can fill the freezer in a second.

Completely boring, experience ruining tripe.

The ability to ruin other people's experiences because the developers and the police allow it, is indeed an aspect of freedom. Just like people that camp and taunt in FPS. Or abuse meta and obnoxious behavior in any other multiplayer environment.

3 minutes ago, Mananu said:

People can play what character they want.

Yes, we know. We all know. And this is the problem.

43 minutes ago, The Curator said:

Players that sit at the base and literally just consume resources.

Players that think they're the boss and want to command everybody else because human ego.

Players that exploit meta to abuse flaws in things like the enemy pathfinding.

Players that dig up every single thing in the map to make a colossal farm that defeats the point of resource gathering.

Players that consume resources without any awareness for how it will effect others.

Players that automatically vote to kick new people during harsh seasons.

Players that expect people to babysit them the moment they arrive.

--Consume resources:  Had this a couple times...

--Bossy players.  Yep.  Nobody's allowed to boss around here except me! And even then, only if I'm yelling things like "GET OUT OF BASE!" or "If you don't stop that _right now_ I'm'a kick you."

--Does exploiting meta include things like "My base can't wildfire if I'm not there"? 'Cos I'm totally guilty of that.  : P

--And then ONE wrong lightning strike, wildfire or, heaven help us, actual griefer and boom!  AALLLLL the berry bushes/grass tufts/saplings gone.  And they're non-renewable. There's a reason why I leave things where they are if they're already close by, people!

--HEY!

wigfridxmaskitty.png

Christmas Wigfrid disapproves.  (I wish I had a picture of her doing the angry emote, or bonesaw.  Ah well.)

Seriously though, I think the real problem is with people who play those characters _badly_.

EDIT:  ...okay, SCRATCH that, apparently you're not at ALL reasonable about this, or any kind of play style that goes against yours.  Good to know!  For ignoring purposes.  Oh my god, NO, it's SO HORRIBLE that people are actually allowed to play characters that have _different levels of difficulty_ from the one you prefer!  Gasp shock wheeze!  "The police" whoever they are, are SO adamant about keeping this thing called "freedom", it's HORRIBLE!  How DARE people actually god damn have _fun_ in a god damn _game_!  And how awful that the characters have to have..(shudders) _variety_.

GOODbye!  (ignore)

...but I'm'a let you finish, 'cos for the _rest_ of that post you actually had some decent points:

--Consume resources without consideration...yep.  Let's see.  I've had people (a) PICK THE DAMN BEEBOX FLOWERS (b) dig up rabbit holes because impatient (c) sleep away my entire tent/lean to in only a few days for sanity, even though not only do we have a whole birch forest full of green mushrooms/desert full of cactus right nearby, but I've directly OFFERED them to the other player _and_ explained what they do...and that's only off the top of my head.

--Votekick in winter/summer:  Not a problem on my servers, 'cos, well, _my_ server.  I'm just the opposite in fact--as soon as possible, I'll make both kinds of firepits by spawn with axes and trees nearby!  (Logs are too easy to just pick up the whole stack of and leave.)

--Babysitting...but I won't go THAT far.  I'll lead you to water, but it's up to you to drink.  There've been times when I had signs explicitly pointing everything out and the player said they just didn't _want_ to read the sign!  You can't click ONE THING and read ONE SENTENCE?  And I'm not talking language barriers here, to be clear.

Luckily, for me, so far most if not all of these are still fairly rare.

...Notorious

(WHY ARE THERE SO MANY SNOBBY, SNOTTY, SHAMING PLAYSTYLE NAZIS IN DON'T STARVE?  WHY?!!  My ignore list is now in the double digits on this forum I come to for FUN, enjoyment, to relax talking about a hobby I _enjoy_, and most of the ignored aren't even trolls, but just those who are super mean about the game itself!  What IS it with this place?!)

29 minutes ago, The Curator said:

Yeah they can. So Wigfrid and Wolfgang can solo giants with base equipment, Maxwell can level forests and Wickerbottom can fill the freezer in a second.

Completely boring, experience ruining tripe.

The ability to ruin other people's experiences because the developers and the police allow it, is indeed an aspect of freedom. Just like people that camp and taunt in FPS. Or abuse meta and obnoxious behavior in any other multiplayer environment.

Yes, we know. We all know. And this is the problem.

Oh get off your high horse.

Archived