How I tamed the geyser

In my most recent world I had a geyser spawn fairly close to my base in a slime biome, not having much in the way of regular water I decided to go after the beast.

I made an insulated layer followed by tiles 3 rows deep. Liquid pipe then went in a spiral all the way around and down to my reservior. All of this was made out of Abyssilite. 

By the time the water made it to the vent it was luke warm at best.

20170326175537_1.jpg

I just copied this design, first time containing a geyser myself, my water isn't cooling down in the pipes. I'm made sure i'm not using insulated pipes, I did the spiral and I even made it zig zag through a cold biome. water is still showing to be 190 degrees F when they empty into my base's tank.

It doesn't seem to be that liquids can be air cooled while in pipes.

2 hours ago, PVD said:

Absolute does not transfer heat, so what sense in this design?

5 hours ago, Nibbler230 said:

I just copied this design, first time containing a geyser myself, my water isn't cooling down in the pipes. I'm made sure i'm not using insulated pipes, I did the spiral and I even made it zig zag through a cold biome. water is still showing to be 190 degrees F when they empty into my base's tank.

It doesn't seem to be that liquids can be air cooled while in pipes.

Lol you hopeing 10kg liquid instan cooling down ? Look other posting they do class chemistry about calculate transfer heat "conduction" etc 

6 hours ago, sai05 said:

Lol you hopeing 10kg liquid instan cooling down ? Look other posting they do class chemistry about calculate transfer heat "conduction" etc 

I've seen this issue as well. I pipe cold helium through hot water. When the gas pipes are clogged with helium, I can watch it change temperature in the pipe. As soon as the gas moves even a little, the temperature of the gas resets to the temp that it entered the pipe.

This appears to be a bug. You shouldn't be so quick to laugh at people.

2 hours ago, Erasmus Crowley said:

I've seen this issue as well. I pipe cold helium through hot water. When the gas pipes are clogged with helium, I can watch it change temperature in the pipe. As soon as the gas moves even a little, the temperature of the gas resets to the temp that it entered the pipe.

This appears to be a bug. You shouldn't be so quick to laugh at people.

Can you give us screenshots how much degres serounding ? 

im not quick laugh at people . I do try cooling down by direct contact gas , pipe cooling , and finger cooling and its take 150cycle to working like 0.2 -0.4*C/cycle changing temperature for what i do ( 5 - 9 Ac ) 

21 minutes ago, sai05 said:

Can you give us screenshots how much degres serounding ? 

im not quick laugh at people . I do try cooling down by direct contact gas , pipe cooling , and finger cooling and its take 150cycle to working like 0.2 -0.4*C/cycle changing temperature for what i do ( 5 - 9 Ac ) 

I can.

To be clear, the water cools down, but the gas inside the pipes does not warm up. When the gas stops moving because the vent is overpressurized, I can watch the gas temperature get hotter, but as soon as the gas moves it snaps back to the original temp.
In the screenshots you can see that the gas inside the pipes is the same temperature at the start and end of the path through the water.

Untitled.png

Untitled2.png

Untitled3.png

8 minutes ago, Erasmus Crowley said:

I can.

To be clear, the water cools down, but the gas inside the pipes does not warm up. When the gas stops moving because the vent is overpressurized, I can watch the gas temperature get hotter, but as soon as the gas moves it snaps back to the original temp.
In the screenshots you can see that the gas inside the pipes is the same temperature at the start and end of the path through the water.

Untitled.png

Untitled2.png

Untitled3.png

So when the gas stop its trun to 13*C ? But when start moving its back to -70*C right ?

1 minute ago, Erasmus Crowley said:

The gas doesn't get that warm. It reaches about -65C sometimes. But yes, when it moves again it instantly jumps back to -70C.

It should not back because in my save liquid or gas chage the temperature and not going back instead pipe got broken because freezing the liquid/gas inside 

your case same like 

1 minute ago, Kharn_Canuck said:

Just pumping water that hot from a geyser breaks my pumps.. 

What are you making the pump out of? The pump in my first shot is made from Gold Amalgum and has no issues.

That may do it then, it was early game and I didn't have much gold. I had dug a pit, set everything up but realized the geyser was there and was in a situation where my pump would just constantly break down....

Gold is having more uses now!

Thanks

Archived