Super Computer : Built-in Liquid Cooling?

So the visual for supercomputer has lots of pipes for water, and researching actually requires water to be input into the computer. Seemed right thematically that a supercomputer could use liquid cooling. However with thermal upgrade, the built in liquid cooling of the supercomputer doesn't seem to do much at all. I ended up having to drip-cool a building that already has built-in liquid cooling. Is this just a design oversight?

I did some testing with my supercomputers because I keep seeing the scalding complaint. I had it happen to me twice, both times, i had put my computer on the edge of an ice biome on the east side of my base. Couldn't produce more than 3 research before scalding. After the second time, I moved my SC about 10 tiles into an ice biome on the west side of my base with lots of open space above it, I can research indefinitely, no more scalding problems, no need for water cooling.

From what I've seen, hot and light gases tend to flow up and to the left, where cold and dense gases flow down and to the right. If you give your SC a proper vent to the north west, and its surrounding area is cold, you should be fine.

Easy fix is for any building that requires water input to have the option to run a clean water pipe into an intake. For some buildings they could be optional and color coded differently (super computer and mush maker). Technically I could run a shower without an water intake pipe if dupes bring the water first.

I think the Super Computer is just designed to get hot with overuse. In a way it's to gate the player from just being able to spam all the research with no consequences. If you research to fast, the Computer will shutdown and you'll have to wait a bit to do more research.

Seeing that there are only 9 uses for Super Computers at this point in time, since once you learned everything you don't need it anymore, they made them overheat with over use to force people to pace their research and decide what they should research first.

If you want tips, focus on basic research every 2 super computer researches, so you get 2 tier 2 researches done, turn it off, and do some tier 2 basic research and some tier 3 research. After that turn the SC back on and do more advanced research.

Archived