How To Solve The Overheat Problem

just get a real scientist to do the research, 1 smart dupe with 6 and above learning is more than enough to complete all tech within 30 cycle. i never experience super computer overheating when smart dupes are handling it.

1 hour ago, SeeHam said:

just get a real scientist to do the research, 1 smart dupe with 6 and above learning is more than enough to complete all tech within 30 cycle. i never experience super computer overheating when smart dupes are handling it.

If only that were how it worked.

6 hours ago, ShamPeiN said:

well overheats around 35-40+cycles, so yes finish fast, deconstruct

one strong dirt hauler, one on wheel and 2-3 scientist do job even at 25 cycles

Well, no, the one I posted a pic of overheated within 3-5 pieces of research. Literally, within seconds, as reported here. I always finished my research well before 30 cycles previously because I always start off with a high-learning dupe. 

I had a coal generator working very well running continously in the ice biome without overheating. Then I eventually started making the room it was in bigger and after that it started overheating.

If you pressurize the room it will be able to transfer heat better from the generator to the environment but wolframite is way better. The generator was initially right next to natural walls made out of wolframite and removing them made the generator start overheating. I solved it by surrounding the generator with mesh tiles built out of wolframite again. They allow the heat to transfer a lot better from the generator to the surrounding environment. That plus having a high gas pressure in the room works wonders. Also make sure that the generator itself is made out of wolframite.

Wolframite has way higher thermal conductivity than oxygen and also way lower heat capacity, which is what makes this work. With mesh tiles or gas permeable tiles the surrounding tiles can contain both gas and wolframite.

coal generator.png

I also had a supercomputer working continously non-stop without even getting warm when it was surrounded by many natural wolframite walls in the ice-biome. Then I decided to replace the natural walls with prettier looking tiles and that's when the overheating problems started immediately. So make sure the nearby tiles are good at conducting heat and it should work fine. This works similarly to water cooling which is also good at transfering heat.

I've been putting my Supercomputer and Energy making station in the cold biome and I haven't had an issue with overheating yet. Mind you I am only on cycle 60 but all of my research is done and not one incident of scalding.

19 minutes ago, Falcahtas said:

You can also put a water vent above your generators/super computer as non hot water is treated as being cold (even if the water is room temperature.

It's not that the water is treated as being cold even though it's not. It's the fact that water has more than 10x the thermal conductivity than gases that causes this.
It's way less maintenance and more sustainable to just surround your heat-generating items with lots of wolframite though.

Problem with wolframite is that it will heat up itself very fast because it has a low heat capacity. Water is better in that regard. It takes more energy to heat up water than it does to heat up wolframite. But wolframite transfers heat more than 10x better than water also.

1 hour ago, AnonymousRetard said:

It's not that the water is treated as being cold even though it's not. It's the fact that water has more than 10x the thermal conductivity than gases that causes this.
It's way less maintenance and more sustainable to just surround your heat-generating items with lots of wolframite though.

Problem with wolframite is that it will heat up itself very fast because it has a low heat capacity. Water is better in that regard. It takes more energy to heat up water than it does to heat up wolframite. But wolframite transfers heat more than 10x better than water also.

Oh just not sure why dupes seem to shiver (well express cold environment) when they go underwater.

It doesn't require much maintenance to pump water onto coal generators if they are directly above a pool of water, only a little bit of water needs to be directed onto the generators so you can still use the water pump required to pump it elsewhere like to lavatories and air scrubbers.

The water just runs off into the pool of water it came from.

16 minutes ago, Falcahtas said:

Oh just not sure why dupes seem to shiver (well express cold environment) when they go underwater.

It doesn't require much maintenance to pump water onto coal generators if they are directly above a pool of water, only a little bit of water needs to be directed onto the generators so you can still use the water pump required to pump it elsewhere like to lavatories and air scrubbers.

The water just runs off into the pool of water it came from.

This is extremely exaggerated in the game but you have the same effect in real life. You can stand still in 20C air forever without feeling cold but if you stay completely still in 20C water you might start freezing after a while. The body needs to maintain an internal body temperature of 37C at all times. Since the body is a machine as well it heats itself and it actually needs cooling in order to not overheat. That's why we die if we stay in temperatures at or above 37C. But water transfers this heat faster than air.

On 28/03/2017 at 5:39 PM, AnonymousRetard said:

I had a coal generator working very well running continously in the ice biome without overheating. Then I eventually started making the room it was in bigger and after that it started overheating.

If you pressurize the room it will be able to transfer heat better from the generator to the environment but wolframite is way better. The generator was initially right next to natural walls made out of wolframite and removing them made the generator start overheating. I solved it by surrounding the generator with mesh tiles built out of wolframite again. They allow the heat to transfer a lot better from the generator to the surrounding environment. That plus having a high gas pressure in the room works wonders. Also make sure that the generator itself is made out of wolframite.

Wolframite has way higher thermal conductivity than oxygen and also way lower heat capacity, which is what makes this work. With mesh tiles or gas permeable tiles the surrounding tiles can contain both gas and wolframite.

coal generator.png

I also had a supercomputer working continously non-stop without even getting warm when it was surrounded by many natural wolframite walls in the ice-biome. Then I decided to replace the natural walls with prettier looking tiles and that's when the overheating problems started immediately. So make sure the nearby tiles are good at conducting heat and it should work fine. This works similarly to water cooling which is also good at transfering heat.

This is what I have found based on your suggestions. So what's wrong here then? Pls advise.wolframitesucks1.jpg

4 minutes ago, fonyo said:

This is what I have found based on your suggestions. So what's wrong here then? Pls advise.wolframitesucks1.jpg

The design I posted there eventually started overheating as well when running continously for very long. I've had to add even more wolframite around it since then. This design though has been working without ever going above ~50C.

In your case I think the tiles below are very bad for the regulator as normal tiles cannot be built out of wolframite. I would exchange the tiles below and the few ones to the left of it with wolframite as well.. Also is the regulator itself built out of wolframite? My coal generator is and it starts overheating at 75C but it never gets close to that temperature since it has very high "thermal conductivity" and the heat instead spreads to all the other wolframite tiles around it.

cooling coal generator.png

Also it looks like you have barely any gas pressure in there. (only 8.5g of polluted oxygen?). I'm not sure if heat can transfer well at all to the nearby wolframite tiles unless there's also some gas pressure in there. In real life it would not help at all to have heatsinks nearby something hot if there's a vacuum. It needs to actually touch the heating element and for cooling for example a CPU you always use some thermal paste. This game doesn't have thermal paste so you'll have to use high pressure gas instead (or water).

I drew some on my picture to make it super clear what's going on here. The tiles encircled in red are there to make sure that I don't have to pressurize the entire ice biome. The oxidizer in red is what makes sure that there's a high gas pressure around. The liquid I encircled in green is just some polluted ice that have melted because of me heating things up around there but the liquid is not actually needed for this cooling solution. I think it helped initially when the coal generator melted ice nearby it and had the melted ice touch it but now it no longer has any liquids touching it and that might be why I had to add even more wolframite instead.

cooling coal generator_LI.jpg

as long as it's liquid .... even a few of it can cool Coal Generator greatly.

the point is that liquid must keep intact to Generator but not flooding.

1137D35329C69B863CABA42140B902D9173B7FD2

or .... a Basic water Cooling liquid ..... fresh from nearby geysor.

7C70DFD9DD32FBECBFEFE6DAEFAF92FFF3B2CF1B

the funny point is THAT 83.6 C cooling water gonna be pickup by dupes SOON. hauling cooly in Hydrofan.

Archived