Batteries Now Useless? Game Unplayable?

Game just updated this morning and there is a change that has made ONI nplayable. My base is in a cold temperature and I all have is one hamster wheel and one tiny battery, yet the battery constantly overheats. I now have all three dupes constantly repairing heat damage on the tiny battery and the second it is fixed it overheats again.

This makes anything connected to power unusable, like research or food or oxygen generation. This is something that needs to get fixed immediately or early game becomes impossible as anything you can do to manage temperature from a cooling perspective is later stage research. I managed to get food researched before the overheating began, so at least the dupes won't starve (maybe). But I definitely can't run oxydizers if my power source doesn't work. Since the battery is constantly requiring repair my copper supply is shot and I can't even build doors. Won't be able to run refrigerators because the power source is shot so starving is back in play. Can't research gas permeable tiles because my power source won't work long enough to research, but that doesn't matter because I won't have the copper to build them anyway.

Hoping this is a bug. Otherwise Klei just broke their game. :shock:

Late stage research is out of the question because I can't build a super computer because I have no more copper. If one tiny battery overheats in cold temperature there is absolutely nothing I can do to run a super computer that already scalds the dupes.

Sorry to rant, but this was an absolute rage quit this morning.

29 minutes ago, Vilda said:

Low pressure make things heat fast, bring up your oxy prodution

Not sure how can I do this without power? Don't think I can pressurize with terrariums alone.

To be clear I'm only on cycle 5 in a new game and this is happening. Didn't even get past the oxylite phase far enough to construct an oxylizer yet.

44 minutes ago, ilpoe said:

would you mind sharing a pic of your setup? 1 hamster wheel and a tiny battery shouldn't overheat under normal conditions

Will try to figure out how to grab one. I basically have regular tile six wide with a wheel then a space then a battery and nothing else with only five pieces of wire connecting them I think. Four high empty space and more tile. there is oxylite to the left of the empty space and everything else is enclosed.

My entire base is only four rooms at this point.

45 minutes ago, Elrail said:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ seems fine for me

Was this a previous save or new game? Mine was new game, so not sure if that had something to do with it. Build # is the same too.

Oddly enough your research station is green. Mine is showing up a bright yellow so whatever is happening my research station is giving off way more heat as well.

What you do when you get hit by the heat bug is to reload the game one turn back. Save. Exit. Restart the game, and all is well again.

I don't know how they can manage to code so poorly that these bugs keeps creeping in but apparently they're really determined to make it hard on themselves.

I tested your configuration,both the wheel and the battery produce heat, if you have them 1 tile apart they might overheat in some conditions.

the temperature of my battery was rising, not enough to damage it, but I have no problem believing that under different conditions it would have.

I use this setup early game and never run into problems, hope this helps

13 minutes ago, scientas said:

Will try to figure out how to grab one. I basically have regular tile six wide with a wheel then a space then a battery and nothing else with only five pieces of wire connecting them I think. Four high empty space and more tile. there is oxylite to the left of the empty space and everything else is enclosed.

SETUP.PNG

hai ^^ all i did and read from people posting how you fix super computer ? make sure your gass pressure enught because they will transfer to air and of course they need more heat absorb ! what it is ? Water :)   

23 minutes ago, scientas said:

Not sure how can I do this without power? Don't think I can pressurize with terrariums alone.

To be clear I'm only on cycle 5 in a new game and this is happening. Didn't even get past the oxylite phase far enough to construct an oxylizer yet.

Well no, terrariums don't have enouhg output. Use them to scrub co2 from aroud your machines

You want to run 1 or 2 oxidizers for pressure

2 minutes ago, TopSloth said:

I've always used terrariums for my oxy generation and pressure with no problems, considering the oxidizer uses like 50 times more algae is a no go for me.

I honestly never even come close to running out of algae, to me it is a problem of output, terrariums do to little in order to be worthwhile in terms of oxygen production.

but whatever floats your boat I guess

Just now, ilpoe said:

I honestly never even come close to running out of algae, to me it is a problem of output, terrariums do to little in order to be worthwhile in terms of oxygen production.

I use about 10 at the bottom with gas permeable tiles on my whole base and lights on all of them. Combined those with the 5 in my farm area and its plenty.

39 minutes ago, ilpoe said:

The purpose of algae terrariums have never been to produce oxygen but to provide a means to remove CO2 until you have more advanced techs and set ups running.

in the early game (well hole game but more apparent at start)oxygen pressure is destroyed with ever tile you dig up. you have to slow down a little or your expanding faster than you can recover the losses. if you need to maintain air pressure around a machine you need to have it in a room with a door or your trying to pressurize your entire base to fix one small area

1 hour ago, Elrail said:

New just after update, key thing there is a thin layer of water, game right now have a trouble time with heat dispersion.

I don't think it is current trouble time but intended way how it works.

Currently machines can give their heat only to tiles directly behind them. (for tiny battery overheating or not only 2 tiles are important)
No heat goes directly to tiles they are standing on or tiles left, right or above them it first needs to go into some medium behind them. (gas or liquid)

And speed of heat transfer depends a lot on mass of that medium behind machine. So your two over 3kg water tiles behind supercomputer or large battery are more than 6kg of mass that can take heat.
Another thing except mass is thermal conductivity and water has it much higher than oxygen and even less conductive is CO2.

5 hours ago, scientas said:

What can happen early game is when you put your tiny battery in right corner of low pressure room some small light weight CO2 packet can be over it and never leave so no good heat transfer medium for that poor battery...

As an addition to the things bzgzd mentioned, another factor you need to keep in mind with these heat transfers is the relative temperature. The bigger the relative temperature is the better the cooling works. This makes materials that have a high heat capacity(like water) a great material since it absorbs much more heat energy per kg material for every degree it increases in temperature.

34 minutes ago, terrachronos said:

As an addition to the things bzgzd mentioned, another factor you need to keep in mind with these heat transfers is the relative temperature. The bigger the relative temperature is the better the cooling works. This makes materials that have a high heat capacity(like water) a great material since it absorbs much more heat energy per kg material for every degree it increases in temperature.

So I need to keep my electrical in water?

54 minutes ago, bzgzd said:

I don't think it is current trouble time but intended way how it works.

Currently machines can give their heat only to tiles directly behind them. (for tiny battery overheating or not only 2 tiles are important)
No heat goes directly to tiles they are standing on or tiles left, right or above them it first needs to go into some medium behind them. (gas or liquid)

And speed of heat transfer depends a lot on mass of that medium behind machine. So your two over 3kg water tiles behind supercomputer or large battery are more than 6kg of mass that can take heat.
Another thing except mass is thermal conductivity and water has it much higher than oxygen and even less conductive is CO2.

What can happen early game is when you put your tiny battery in right corner of low pressure room some small light weight CO2 packet can be over it and never leave so no good heat transfer medium for that poor battery...

My game was only at cycle 5. No super computer or large battery yet. I guess I will restart and build my power grid underwater next time. I tried planting wheezewort, pressuring rooms, basically everything suggested in this thread. Nothing worked. First truly game-breaking thing I've experienced. If I can't run basic logical power then the game has become unplayable to me. I had three dupes die within the first 7 days after three straight 200+ run throughs where I just ran out of things to do. That's not good progression.

2 hours ago, heckubis said:

in the early game (well hole game but more apparent at start)oxygen pressure is destroyed with ever tile you dig up. you have to slow down a little or your expanding faster than you can recover the losses. if you need to maintain air pressure around a machine you need to have it in a room with a door or your trying to pressurize your entire base to fix one small area

Just what I was wondering for my new base (days 5-6). If I understand your post heckubis, it's a good move to seal the base with pneumatic doors left and right, at every corridors? (even if it cost a bit of copper when you're not rich of). Related to this : any rock wall will keep the pressure or some are porous?

There's an easy way to avoid you supercomputer overheating. Build an algae terrarium next to it. Deconstruct when complete and filled with water. Deconstruct the water bottle. Don't mop the floor. Dirt cheap and easy watercooling.

Archived