I Kindly remind you that this game is in bare bones, We have now a tiny amount of content, this is their proposed roadmap:

On 15/2/2017 at 3:09 PM, Cheerio said:

Roadmap

• More things that are sensitive to the effects of temperature (We have this right now)
  • More tools to deal with temperature (Maybe... I don't know)
  • Improved base sustainability (Not yet)
  • More ways to create sustainable systems for resources such as water, fertilizer, dirt etc. (Not yet)
  • Improved stress gameplay (Not yet)
  • More stress responses and behaviours for strung out Duplicants (Not yet)
  • More ways to reduce and prevent stress (Not yet)
  • New biomes and creatures (Not yet)
  • Buried Artifacts (Not yet)
  • Mysterious objects hidden in the world that may help or harm you (Not yet)

The last two address exactly what you want, encourage exploration.

I'm a non-sciency (like virtually science dumb really), logic-only-minded individual, and I've managed to make it to 137+ (pre-thermal) and 165+ (post-thermal) in a couple of my bases. Most of the others ended sooner because I chose to restart, as I do this thing where I get to a certain point, process what I've learned, and then take that into a new base with a new plan to progress further, and then rinse and repeat. I've never touched the debug feature.

Yes, I've banged my head against the walls of my science ineptitude and idiocy many a night, and I've gotten frustrated to no end with buggy alpha things, dupes being jerks, or me just being a muppet, but it's the figuring stuff out and making things work better, longer, more efficiently, etc., that is precisely what I enjoy about this game (and the art/sound, which is glorious). If you're not going through that process, I'm not sure why you'd even want to play tbh lol.

3 hours ago, Bowler_Hat said:

How many Air Scrubbers offset a Coal Generator (2)?

Considering the air scrubber removes 300 g/s and the Coal Generator adds 20 g/s of CO2, then it should be 15 generators to a scrubber, though I've done 3 generators to 1 scrubber and somehow the rooms was getting flooded with CO2, so I am very unsure what the answer is.

3 hours ago, Bowler_Hat said:

i've yet to make an alge maker, fertilizer farm, or any prompt to 'explore', clothing. The fact is, the inability to survive WITHOUT DEBUG INTERVENTION, is not there. The most I do is knock out all research in 23 cycles.

Sure, I've seen a handhand handful of video's, read a number of posts, and i'm sure there will be 20 more "I'm on day 154, 0 stress, just dig, that's the answer". Re-building these step by step doesn't result in the same ends.

If you are looking for an easy start which lets you take the time to explore the map and the tech tree without resorting to Debug Mode I would advise going the Contaminated/Polluted Oxygen route. When I first started ONI pre Thermal Upgrade I struggled to design a base that would make it past Cycle 60, the struggle for me was producing enough oxygen to fight the CO2 and Contaminated Oxygen building up. In my latest game I decided to give up the fight and just open up the Slime Biome during the first Cycle, so far I am up to 18 dupes at Cycle 75 and have not produced a single Algae Terrarium or Oxidizer and CO2 has yet to become a problem. I know this is kind of an exploit at the moment as there are no serious negative affects from Polluted Oxygen but its a good way to test the new updates to the game without resorting to Debug Mode.

20 minutes ago, Yokhen said:

Considering the air scrubber removes 300 g/s and the Coal Generator adds 20 g/s of CO2, then it should be 15 generators to a scrubber, though I've done 3 generators to 1 scrubber and somehow the rooms was getting flooded with CO2, so I am very unsure what the answer is.

Technically the air scrubber moves 100 g/s from the air to storage where it converts at 300 g/s.

7 minutes ago, Yokhen said:

It converts more than it removes per second? That doesn't sound right.

Can only convert 1/3 of the time.

At 1x game speed.
As it's interacting with the simulator, it'll grab less mass the faster the game is running.

11 minutes ago, Risu said:

Can only convert 1/3 of the time.

At 1x game speed.
As it's interacting with the simulator, it'll grab less mass the faster the game is running.

Soooo, it's broken, or am I misunderstanding? lol

9 minutes ago, Fatmice said:

THat doesn't sound right.  It grabs 300 and work on 100 at a time.

I see it bringing in 25g/t which means 100g/s.
It's converting 100g/s and 333.33g/s water which is all it can handle.
If it didn't have the full amount of water it'd be waiting for the CO2 before starting.
Because it's satisfied from the water it just takes what it can from the CO2 and adjusts the consumption rate.

Archived