Hydrogen - I don't have enough time in my life to review all of the mislabeled topics in this forum.

So, here's the deal. I have a gas filtration system that forward everything but hydrogen to my main "survival room". The hydrogen is forwarded to a hydrogen generator. The hydrogen generator says that it is almost full on the total amount of hydrogen it can store (I think? this game needs some ******* work...). My batteries are empty... The generator is not charging them... What the ****. Am I misinterpreting the mechanics of the game or are the mechanics broke. Please help: my sanity is on the line. Included are screenshots... Please kill me - I just want escape from this existential suffering.

ONI_SCRN1.png

ONI_SCRN2.png

answer simple there is no hydrogen to pump ^^ . gas flow really slow bro ^^ that mean hydrogen get close to your pump are randome :)

from gas behavior your hydrogen gas move to corner left and right :)  

The hydrogen generator currently broken; it requires a constant flow of gas for it to work, even if it's full of hydrogen gas. Try adding a valve after the filter to your hydrogen line and set the valve to about 100 g / s. That will feed the generator a steady stream of hydrogen gas and get it running

6 hours ago, Hurp Durpington said:

So, here's the deal. I have a gas filtration system that forward everything but hydrogen to my main "survival room". The hydrogen is forwarded to a hydrogen generator. The hydrogen generator says that it is almost full on the total amount of hydrogen it can store (I think? this game needs some ******* work...). My batteries are empty... The generator is not charging them... What the ****. Am I misinterpreting the mechanics of the game or are the mechanics broke. Please help: my sanity is on the line. Included are screenshots... Please kill me - I just want escape from this existential suffering.

ONI_SCRN1.png

ONI_SCRN2.png

• I am unable to see your wiring system (F2) and thus unable to assess whether the hydrogen generator is connected to the batteries or not. The hydrogen generator, if allowed to, will run forever even if it doesn't provide power to anything.
  • As someone else said, hydrogen generated by electrolyzers come in tiny dozes, don't rely on it. Manual Generators are the way to go forever (until you gather enough coal or hydrogen every now and then).
  • By the way, I would make my food/calories minimum 2000x the number of duplicants you have or even 3000x. The way it is by being 1000x by default is essentially a day of rations, which most of the time won't do you any good when you are distracted and just realized you need a plan, but have none or even backup plan to making food at all. Plan? Try your best to plant as much blossom as possible (and make fertilizer for it), so you can base your diet as much on it without using any water (which at the stage that you are is quite precious and exhausts quite fast). I would load 2 cycles back so you can recover properly.
  • Also make sure to make masterpieces only (Creativity lvl 5 or higher), any other kind of painting will do no good. Skip on the statues, they take way too much space.
  • With the flooring/ceiling you got, you don't need to put a vent in every room; so long as it's oxygen, it will float lower than hydrogen and higher than carbon dioxide. So just place some or a vent on the bottom and that's it.
  • When your people are done vomiting (successfully lower your stress), you should seal your base, so you don't exhaust your algae/water too fast.
  • Replace those tiny batteries. You get full refund when you deconstruct anyway.
  • Avoid chlorine like the plague.
  • Wrong forum to write at.
  • Enjoy the insanity, for you can get rid of it whenever you want.

if you modify routes, reload game. hydrogen is 11.2% of output 888-112 max. coriolis effect goes up/left, put pump there, as said its not reliable. before upgrade needed valves to use storage.

enclose your main base, wider shaft between areas, 5 wide fits paintings, wall+door, empty space for vent/deoxydizer, ladder inside which only goes in living area, then the beds/paintings. left side of beds gas permeable. use your printer area, light and decor has 5-7 area, better for massage room. wheels for power, batteries dont need air, nor storage or shafts. plants grow in pressure, any other gas than co2 good and spare water. later i had 1 massage only, they never go above 10-20%, even when my lavatories dis-functioned, ran out of algae and one water source same time, had 2 red alert days in row :(.

anyway enclose every space with walls use double walls to match levels and compress gases.

one of my bases for 12-15 dupes, day 38, i focused getting 9 hatches one space.

kGxWESD.png

9 hours ago, Hurp Durpington said:

Lol, thanks everyone for the replies. I have realized that I have no ******* idea how to play this game, and I'm operating at the most basic level of mouth breathing. That being said, please fix the hydrogen generators.

Gives a screenshot of your wiring. Everything on the other 2 pictures seem alright(ish).

I've never gotten a consistently running hydrogen generator. It just doesn't seem possible to keep it fed with enough gas. Right now I do have one set up, but It's honestly just producing the odd bit of bonus power and I primarily keep it around to stop hydrogen build up. It isn't producing enough power to pay for the pumps that feed it.

36 minutes ago, Collic said:

I've never gotten a consistently running hydrogen generator. It just doesn't seem possible to keep it fed with enough gas. Right now I do have one set up, but It's honestly just producing the odd bit of bonus power and I primarily keep it around to stop hydrogen build up. It isn't producing enough power to pay for the pumps that feed it.

This. By the time you've sorted out gas pumps and filters, only to have the generator working intermittently at best, it's not even worth the cost (because it doesn't actually give you the power it's supposed to so as to justify the power required to use it). Once you couple it with heat considerations and that it continues to run and burn hydrogen regardless of whether you need the power or not, it's really nothing but a glorified hydrogen filter.

I currently find the power situation the worst part of the game. Coal generators overheat in seconds, no matter how cold the surrounding area, unless you dump water on them, and they carry on burning coal whether you need them to or not (like the hydrogen generators). Hydrogen power is not really a thing. So we're left with hamster wheels as the only reasonable method of power generation, except if you actually want to get things done, you need a fair bit of power, which means you need several dupes who do nothing but hamster all day. And the more stuff you wanna do, the more hamsters you need, which in turn means you need more stuff to support the hamsters, and so on in a perpetual loop.

Considering one electroylzer pumps out 112g/s of hydrogen, and a hydrogen generator requirs 100g/s to operate, it should be constantly running.  It should also, at least gameplay wise allow for a high tier, clean and highly effective power generation process which can not only make up for the 2 pumps, 1 electrolyzer and filters required to adequately operate it, but also provide some back in return.

I think if its internal hydrogen buffer could be made to work, and the gas flowing and pumping is working as it should (i.e. all of those 112g/s are available for the pump), given a little bit of time for the electrolyzer room to pressurize, the generator should never ever stop working.

I would also expect to be able to feed it more than the exact 100g/s at onc eand allow it to store and manage it internally like the coal generator does.

38 minutes ago, PickPay said:

So Valve to Hydro gen or not ?

According to my observations the Hydrogen storage tank works properly. I have 2 Generators running on different setups and 1 has around 10Kg of Hydrogen stored (which shows on the gauge filled at 1/5th) running continuously while my second Generator stores only extra gas for a few seconds when it comes in (gauge empty) and then stops.

20170324163400_1.jpg

6 minutes ago, Risu said:

I keep forgetting not everyone is running the Thermal Update, where this has been patched since its first release.

same I have had more overheating issues from my hyd/gen than lack of gas to pump into it

11 hours ago, Luponius said:

Considering one electroylzer pumps out 112g/s of hydrogen, and a hydrogen generator requirs 100g/s to operate, it should be constantly running.  It should also, at least gameplay wise allow for a high tier, clean and highly effective power generation process which can not only make up for the 2 pumps, 1 electrolyzer and filters required to adequately operate it, but also provide some back in return.

I think if its internal hydrogen buffer could be made to work, and the gas flowing and pumping is working as it should (i.e. all of those 112g/s are available for the pump), given a little bit of time for the electrolyzer room to pressurize, the generator should never ever stop working.

I would also expect to be able to feed it more than the exact 100g/s at onc eand allow it to store and manage it internally like the coal generator does.

In theory it should, but I've never gotten worthwhile results. With 3 electrolyzers at the bottom of my base it takes too long for the little pockets of hydrogen to find their way into the generator. I've also tried enclosing an electrolyzer in a small area and pumping out all other gases while hydrogen is sent straight to a generator and that hasn't worked out either. To be clear, I'm not talking about the generator filling up and not operating like it used to prior to the thermal update, the generator just isn't being supplied with enough gas to function usefully.

In my current colony I could potentially improve this by building a very high number of feeder pumps (currently there are two, intelligently placed at the top of my base), but with such a high running cost why bother?. I still don't think it would work using only electrolyzers

I'm sure the generator works fine if you're pumping in gas from a large hydrogen pocket, but it isn't viable under any other circumstance. At least I haven't managed to get it working yet. I think if it accumulated hydrogen in it's storage and then started operating when it was full, that could be all that's needed for it to function. The machine requires a properly working buffer to function.

17 hours ago, Collic said:

I'm sure the generator works fine if you're pumping in gas from a large hydrogen pocket, but it isn't viable under any other circumstance. At least I haven't managed to get it working yet. I think if it accumulated hydrogen in it's storage and then started operating when it was full, that could be all that's needed for it to function. The machine requires a properly working buffer to function.

This really makes me think it's bugged.  If a room is sufficiently pressured, hydrogen really shouldn't take any time to float to the top as the oxygen sinks to the bottom, and considering the rates at which the output goes out, it might take a brief moment for the gases to balance out after initial startup, but as long as the gases are there, they should go through.  An electrolyzer should provide more than enough for a single hydrogen generator.

On 3/24/2017 at 1:37 PM, Risu said:

I keep forgetting not everyone is running the Thermal Update, where this has been patched since its first release.

What, exactly, was patched? I'm asking simply because the hydrogen generators are just as bad in the Thermal Upgrade preview as they were before in terms of never consistently providing power (for me, at least). It shouldn't take 4 electrolyzers to run one generator properly (as seen above) based on numbers, and doing that doesn't even make sense, as you'd be at a net loss of power compared to the power you're using to generate the hydrogen to run the generator in the first place (electrolyzers, pumps, filters). 

Based solely on the numbers, one electrolyzer should supply enough hydrogen to run one generator. And in that scenario, you'd have a net gain in power, which makes sense. But that's only if 1) the generator produces power somewhat consistently, and 2) the generator doesn't burn through all the hydrogen even when you don't have any demand on the system (full batteries).

Am I missing something here? :D

1 minute ago, Risu said:

Refer to the original post.

Well, I had done that and didn't understand, else I wouldn't have asked. Do you mean the green bar visuals showing full but the generator still not working?

I agree the game is not balanced yet but thats to be expected from an Alpha release, if it wasn't to get rid of Hydrogen, the H. Generators would be nearly useless. Just to get it running you need at least 1 pump and a filter so thats -360W already... I would give it an output of 1200W or so. By the way I have 2 Generators in my base so that's 1 Gen. per 2 Electrolyzers.

2 hours ago, PickPay said:

I agree the game is not balanced yet but thats to be expected from an Alpha release, if it wasn't to get rid of Hydrogen, the H. Generators would be nearly useless. Just to get it running you need at least 1 pump and a filter so thats -360W already... I would give it an output of 1200W or so. By the way I have 2 Generators in my base so that's 1 Gen. per 2 Electrolyzers.

Oh it's definitely to be expected at this stage, but that's why we're all here talking about it, right? ;D

I agree, though, that either the output of the generator needs increasing, or we need a more efficient method for capturing the hydrogen (and the generators need to stop burning hydrogen when the batteries are full lol).

Archived