Disease Clarification / Potential Bug

So I mentioned this on another thread, but the way I understand disease is supposed to work is when you transplant grass tufts, berry bushes, or saplings a timer starts. When the timer reaches its designated endpoint somewhere 50-70 days it has a chance to become diseased. (Warning period blah blah blah) On a failed check, the timer restarts. The way to avoid this is supposed to be every <50 days you should dig up and replant your crops. I am fine with this as it adds some difficulty to the game, but it is predictable and avoidable provided you are aware of it. However.... on multiple occasions I have had my crops become disease in far less than 50 days after my last "turn the crops" session. When the mechanic is unpredictable or can happen in so short a time period that I feel the need to turn the crops every season it gets a little frustrating. I find it frustrating because this results in one of two things: One, the server's lifespan is artificially restricted because eventually, no matter how hard you try, the non-renewable resources will die off from disease and you will be left with a desolate world that cannot sustain you. Two, I have to get obsessive compulsive on this and constantly turn my crops leaving me little time to go out explore, expand, and experience the other content of the game. Note: Most of the time I run this server by myself, my friends occasionally coming in on weekends.... So here are my questions. Has anyone gone into the code and confirmed the 50 day timer? If so, then my experience indicates either false information, or some kind of bug or glitch that circumvents the 50 day timer, which do we think this might be? (As I said, this has happened to me multiple times, and I would not bring it up if I was not certain it was less than 50 days... most recent incident was 35 days)

Just from playing Wickerbottom quite a bit I feel that it's random when you will get diseased grass and the only indication that I've gotten is the warning message your character gives when it's about to disease. I always dig up all my plants that give me that message ASAP, as I have gotten diseased grass from regrowing my grass tufts over and over with books in just under a few days.

3 hours ago, brbrmensch said:

the point of disease is regrowing grass back at savanna and such

Unless you're talking about grass tufts respawning at the savanna (which I have never heard of.), then what you say is false because grass tufts aren't immune to disease while on savanna turf.

If I misinterpreted that please articulate it a better way for us to understand.

4 hours ago, brbrmensch said:

It's a thing in endless and wilderness. And it doesn't regrow right after disease destroys your tufts. It regrows after 5 days from being digged up (on default world regrowth speed rate) as far as I'm aware.
 In survival disease just destroy your plants and doesn't give you any way to get them back, as far as I know.

3 hours ago, brbrmensch said:

28 minutes ago, Destros09 said:

Disease is to help world regrowth 

Do you guys realize that grass, saplings and both types of berry bushes DON'T regrow in survival mode? In survival mode, disease is just there to kill your plants. And digging plants every 50 days just to keep them is such a boring task.

About disease, I understand that the game might try to make you go for alternate sources of grass/twigs (gekkos, twiggy trees, tumbleweeds) and other sources of food other than berries, but why can the world start with gekkos or twiggy trees then? And when you get a juicy berry bush world there's no way to get a bush hat.

In my opinion, every world should start with grass, saplings and both types of berry bushes (normal berry bushes in the usual places, juicy berry bushes maybe around Goose nests). Then, thanks to world regrowth, you would get twiggy trees to replace saplings as the source of twigs and grass gekkos would replace the source of grass just by harvesting grass tufts.

About disease, there should be some kind of cure for plants, but this cure should work as long as the plant isn't harvested. This way, people (like me) who like to use those plants as decoration can still do it and people who like to use those plants as their source of twigs/grass/food still have to deal with disease.

Right now, I don't see the point of disease, it's just an annoyance that doesn't bring any challenge to the game. I just disable it when I generate a world but I wish I didn't have to.

3 minutes ago, Hobgoblino said:

And when you get a juicy berry bush world there's no way to get a bush hat.

caves usually has regular berries when overworld has juicy ones

and if grass tufts do not regrow, then we can end up with no grass source other than tumbleweed with no way to go to other world

(and i'm also wrong)

10 minutes ago, brbrmensch said:

caves usually has regular berries when overworld has juicy ones

Usually, but not always. I think caves have their own random resource variety (grass can never be replaced by gekkos on world generation though, as far as I know). But that could be a solution too, having normal berry bushes on the surface and juicy ones in the caves.

1 hour ago, Hobgoblino said:

And digging plants every 50 days just to keep them is such a boring task.

I agree it is a boring task, but I am willing to put up with it if it was actually fixed at 50 or more days. As I've said, I have had disease set in after less than 50 days, so I am looking for confirmation that is in fact 50 days in the code.  I am trying to understand the implemented mechanics, and find the possible problem, so that we as a community can come up with a suitable suggestion for this mechanic... Because based on my experience I see no reason to leave it on, even though I would like to be able to say I could leave it on.

I think disease should only go to plants that are actively being used. It'd probably put more strain on the game to do that every time the disease timer goes off though, so I could understand why that wouldn't happen. Why I say this is because sometimes I'm a huge idiot and accidentially dig up a grass tuft out by the spawn portal I want to leave for new people that join. Well, might as well burn it now because if I plop it back down it'll just end up getting diseased.

Survival needs a little TLC with world regrowth.

I also think it'd be interesting if over time setpieces appear, so it adds more reason to go around the world even after you've maybe already discovered the whole thing. But that's getting a little off topic, so that suggestion may need to rest for another time.

Umm i have a world with over 400 days and i have only ever lost about 5 plants (grass and saplings) to disease.

I am the only one playing and its on default settings.

Doesn't the portal spawn new berries grass and saplings when there are none around it?

Also you can get grass and twigs from tumbleweeds grass gekkos and twiggy trees.

1 minute ago, JimmyJam said:

Umm i have a world with over 400 days and i have only ever lost about 5 plants (grass and saplings) to disease.

Doesn't the portal spawn new berries grass and saplings when there are none around it?

Also you can get grass and twigs from tumbleweeds grass gekkos and twiggy trees.

You can also get trinkets and bees and frogs too, so even better

Just now, Destros09 said:

You can also get trinkets and bees and frogs too, so even better

I know but i was just saying that if the worst happened and you lost all the plants in your world and caves. There are other ways to get grass and twigs :)

"Umm i have a world with over 400 days and i have only ever lost about 5 plants (grass and saplings) to disease.

Also you can get grass and twigs from tumbleweeds grass gekkos and twiggy trees."

True, but this does not apply to berries. Not to mention some might have a preference towards saplings or tufts for aesthetic reasons. For the record I have only lost like 6 plants to this myself and I am 450 days in myself. My concern is more along the lines of the this... I like the idea of the mechanic, but it is not working as advertised and because it is not working as advertised it puts a lifespan on the server's resources. I would like to know why it is not working as advertised, whether it be due the information we have is incorrect or a bug.

So the lack of response or answers here leads me to believe we simply do not know why these plants might disease before the advertised 50 day timer. I guess I can offer my best guess based on my experience, but i still do not know if the 50 day timer is a confirmed part of the coding or not... Based on my experience, if this is in fact a bug my best guess would be that any days that I roll back on might be counted towards the timer. I frequently roll back when I am playing by myself and messing around with the placement and organization of my base, simply so I can make it look nice and organized.

well if u really wanna find out about the timer, there is a mod that shows you the time for everything, when the grass will disease, when the antlion will rage.. imo disease is kinda random, especially when you play wickerbottom/maxwell. 

its really annoying in surivial mode because you really have to take care of it when you don't wanna end up with no berry bushes or grass. then comes the beager and you have even more stuff to dig up or just get rotten. 

Just don't dig anything up and enjoy the occasional walks around the world and collect whatever you need. it may be time consuming, but at the same time it lets you check out parts of the map and see what's going on in the environment, you'd be surprised what you'd see on day 250.

or..

Just dig up plants before winter starts and replant them during spring and dig them again before summer starts. If I dig stuff up, I'll only dig them up on either the day before winter and replant during spring and let them stay out till winter starts back again. I've never got any diseased plants.

My muscles allow me to carry everything with the speed of a walking cane so I naturally enjoy the trips and I kill stuff on my way to and back.

Archived