210489 Update Steam generation via tepidizer ?

Hi everyone,

I was hoping that we still can generate steam by heating contaminated water as we could have done with batteries before, but i have a big problem.
Above 93°C , Tepidizer (Ore made) stops generate heat saying : " Max temperature reached". Really ?

ok.png

Yesteday i forgot to use Ore and the building was overheating at 75°C, "logic" with copper. But now the limit is 125°C (75 Base+50 Ore).
How can you explain that the liquid tepidizer is unable to generate more than 92°C ?

If u made steam using magma, please don't notify. I only search something sustainable to make steam purification.:)

Thanks for reading

I think the idea was to heat water for the thimble weed combined with the thermostat switch but since they don't actually require water to grow (although the description says so) I think it's pretty irrelevant at the moment.

Note that it's called a tepidizer, ie. something to make water tepid aka lukewarm

It's quite useless really. Usually want to use water for cooling things, not heating them up.
That's what the coal generator is for.

One use is to keep thimble reed above its minimum temperature, but even than you need a thermal switch to control it.

6 minutes ago, Risu said:

It's quite useless really. Usually want to use water for cooling things, not heating them up.
That's what the coal generator is for.

One use is to keep thimble reed above its minimum temperature, but even than you need a thermal switch to control it.

Useless ? Contaminated water + Heat ==> water + dirt , u dare say useless ?

Indeed.  But you can use it to preheat water before steaming it.  I've successfully created steam in the current update.  The issue isn't creating steam, it is more of how to manage it so it doesn't destroy your buildings.  With the current material properties, boiling water is safer than boiling polluted water.  But it is more interesting to boil polluted water as it drops dirt.  The only other source of dirt is to boil algae, which also turns into dirt at 125C, the exact overheating temperature of the current best material gold amalgam.

There is an even worse problem.  When you get steam, it will inevitably condenses in the steam room and creates water.  This water will then form films of water everywhere and causing massive issues with your buildings, increasing the likelyhood that they will break.

1 minute ago, k2trix said:

I just to want to make my own steam with my contaminated water in order to get pure water and dirt.
If i can do it, so i can create closed rooms and find how to thrive without dig anymore.

No need.

Just grow 4 Bristle Blossom per dupe, remove all food storages and let the excess food rot where it is. It turns into contaminated dirt on it's own which you can compost. Bristle Blossoms amazingly creates a surplus of fertilizer on it's own when you let the food rot.

1 minute ago, Vilda said:

Well, if you create the dirt, you can then bake it to sand, which can than clean more water. Which is not necessary right now (geysers OP) but might worth thinking about in the future.

How do you make sand with dirt ? amazing, sorry for my noobyness

There are several conversions for sand.

Boil algae at 398.15K (125C), which turns into dirt. (A renewable method)

Boil polluted dirt at 700K(426.85 C), which turns into dirt. (A renewable method)

Boil dirt at 700K.

Boil clay at 700K.

11 minutes ago, Fatmice said:

There are several conversions for sand.

Boil algae at 398.15K (125C), which turns into dirt. (A renewable method)

Boil polluted dirt at 700K(426.85 C), which turns into dirt. (A renewable method)

Boil dirt at 700K.

Boil clay at 700K.

Clay actually turns into brick at 926.85C.
Brick turns to magma at 1409.85C.

10 minutes ago, Risu said:

Clay actually turns into brick at 926.85C.
Brick turns to magma at 1409.85C.

Check the material property of brick.  I've not experimented with clay much.  How does clay turns into brick without first turning into sand, which is at a lower phase change temperature than brick (1200K)?  Or does sand turn into brick at 1200K?

My best guess is bricks will be used to make kilns to melt metals to make alloys like steel or purify metal ore like gold amalgam and tungsten disulfide into their pure constituents.

Each solid element has a single element it can change to at a higher temperature.
Sand turns to molten glass at 1713C.
Molten glass (liquid phase) can turn to rock gas at 2357C or glass at 1127C.

Archived