Should These Be Added?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Should These Be Added?

Dear Klei and other readers

So, at the moment the punishments for losing duplicant's is pretty much zilch, so i have some ideas for punishments.

more stress - bring every duplicant's stress up by 8% more or less

less productive - other duplicants are less productive because they are sad.

Time Of Mourning - all duplicants go to where the duplicant died and mourn them for.... you choose how long.

sleeping trouble - duplicants have trouble sleeping, have nightmares increasing stress? maybe even add in shadow monsters for stress like in Dont Starve?

toilet trouble - duplicants take longer on toilet, higher chance of clogging

these are my ideas for death punishments.

thanks for reading.

CoolCreation201 Youtube

Well, they already mourn when a dupe dies, but I agree with you, there should be more harsh consequences about a dupe's death. Sadly, I don't have any suggestion on the matter...

Anyway, I don't like the simple solution people use of euthanizing dupes which could potencially harm the colony without bigger drawbacks. And once the game cannot tell if a dupe died "spontenously" or was intentionally killed by the player, death punishment in general seems the way to go. It's just a matter of balance imo.

On 2017.03.18. at 9:34 AM, CoolCreation201YT said:

more stress - bring every duplicant's stress up by 8% more or less

I completely agree because when you spawn in a new dupe, other dupes get the "new friend" perk so they should add "lost a friend" debuff to balance things out.

Stress seemed to be more of an issue prior to Thermal Update, and frankly sometimes accidents happen or you're in serious trouble (like starvation) so if you get punished too severely it might start a spiral of death and your whole colony can collapse...

I think these are great suggestions for downsides of a dup dying, however I think some are either unnecessary or need a little tweak.

On 3/18/2017 at 0:34 AM, CoolCreation201YT said:

Time Of Mourning - all duplicants go to where the duplicant died and mourn them for.... you choose how long.

I think this would be great for a bad trait say "guilty conscience?" and said dup with the trait would take some time out of their day to visit one gravestone, maybe it could be random days or once per 3 days.

toilet trouble - duplicants take longer on toilet, higher chance of clogging

I don't really see how someone dying would make you take longer to urinate, maybe if dups had a mirror in the outhouse/stall but yeah I don't really understand this one.

sleeping trouble - duplicants have trouble sleeping, have nightmares increasing stress? maybe even add in shadow monsters for stress like in Dont Starve?

I would love if they had nightmares and some shadows monster were floating around, would be a neat little reference to one of my favorite games.

Currently, duplicates can mourn. The body can also cause -65 decor in 4 tiles, until buried at a tasteful memorial. That's about as bad as it gets. I mean granted these are just copies are a template DNA, but they still have emotions. The longer a duplicate has been in a colony, the more catastrophic the magnitude of how duplicates react to their death. Just like how we sometimes get attached to duplicates that have served us well for quite some time in a colony.

10 hours ago, Kaleb Jander Greek said:

Generate random phantoms at night until the body is properly buried. If a dupe is touched or sees (less than 10 meters on unobstructed sight), gains the status "Terror" and does not move for an entire cycle (that includes pissing himself, not eating, etc..)

I think complete immobility is a bit overkill. I'd say needs the toilet around 3 times a day, or eats much more slowly. Also doesn't go anywhere that doesn't have another duplicant within a 5 tile distance.

Archived