The Collected Colonies - [Art Help]

So, I'm writing a storyline for the prelude of ONI (Before the portal ended up in the terrestrial body) to a few episodes after. Each episode will probably be 3-5 pages long, but we shall see. I hope I can gather some intrigue from you guys. Let me know if you're interested in reading. Here is an excerpt:

Mi-Ma was managing the controls in the cockpit. You could call it the 'cockpit', but it really was just a large room for controlling the heading, thrusters, energy utilizer (A cool name for the circuit board), scanners, and other cool things. She was thinking about how much time they should have left until they found what they were looking for, and how much time they had left, period. She estimated that they had close to seven cycles left before they ran out of the necessary supplies for things like oxygen, food, and water. As it was, their food and oxygen generation would last over ten cycles, but their clean water source had been decimated. Will had warned her that the water had run low, so they decided it was drastic enough that they rigged up a water purifier to clean the water acting as coolant for the nuclear generator on board. This was also why they had to cut power usage, so that the generator would not be so strained. Beyond this, she prayed for dear life that they would find something within the next five cycles.

Anyway, the reason I'm writing this is hopefully to gather some help. I am not experienced enough to make pleasing artwork, so I'd like it if a few courageous souls could draw up a minor amount of artwork for me to include in the key scenes of the story. I have the first sketch in mind, and it is attached. Anyone can attach their pieces and the one or more that I choose will be included in the story and given credit to the author. I'll be updating this thread with future artwork that is needed, so follow if you'd like to contribute.

The attached photo is that of Telemail (Holographic mail). The object in the hand is a disc "projector" of sorts, which gives off a blue holographic screen which you can't read because the words are scribbles. I'll have what should be on the screen written into the story. You can put your alias on it or let me give you credit outside the photo. Please, go wild and put your own style into it. EDIT: By the way, this is the beginning of the story. You can put the title ("The Collected Colonies") in styled font anywhere on the art if you'd like. I'd like to publish this part of the story by April 1st, so submissions should be given by that day.

Telemail Sketch.jpg

Asteroid.jpg

IMAG0030.jpg

1 hour ago, minespatch said:

Got quite a bit of pieces I need to work on right now but is there a deadline?

Not exactly. Before I go to publish the Prelude on the forum. So lets say two weeks from now, Saturday the first of April.

11 hours ago, minespatch said:

That'll give me enough time. Any other doodles you've done so far?

No, but thanks for the interest. I should have more in the topic by Sunday. As a side note each episode will have its own deadline. In fact I would like to do a Star Wars theme. Releasing the 1st ep., then the prelude and etc, so I will probably have to extend the deadline for the prelude.

Ok, new sketch. This one is framed in space. The three dupes are holding on, and viewing the asteroid. It should be relatively dark, as in this part of the story, the area had just barely started receiving light. The sketch is on the original post.

Here's another snack for those who like excerpts: 

She went to the controls and sighed. Time to start a new day. She flipped the autopilot switch and hesitated. That's weird, the computer has always announced when any control was engaged and disengaged. She flipped it on, then off again and still no response. The computer must be bugged up, but she thought oh well. She tried to move the throttle, but it wouldn't budge. That's when she noticed the dashboard levels. They weren't moving.

- Side note: I wanted to ask, minespatch. How did you achieve the "Will probably draw it" subtitle? Did the devs honor your artistry?

6 minutes ago, GamingBud said:

- Side note: I wanted to ask, minespatch. How did you achieve the "Will probably draw it" subtitle? Did the devs honor your artistry?

The nin@JoeW has to decide if you're worthy. I got mine through a thread where the dev gave out titles for a short period of time.

title fairy.png

Also, finished the art, just give me a few hours to get them up on all the threads.

1 minute ago, minespatch said:

The nin@JoeW has to decide if you're worthy. I got mine through a thread where the dev gave out titles for a short period of time.

Haha. He did a good job I suppose :).

Also, finished the art, just give me a few hours to get them up on all the threads.

Sweet. I'll be glad to see it. I should have another sketch drawn up by the end of the weekend.

10 minutes ago, minespatch said:

20170323p2-Duplication transmission.png

I hope this came  out well but I feel satisfied. Tried to implement the story while also follow what the original concept had.

Would've done my space border but due to the coloring and textures, it didn't need it.

18 hours ago, minespatch said:

I hope this came  out well but I feel satisfied. Tried to implement the story while also follow what the original concept had.

Would've done my space border but due to the coloring and textures, it didn't need it

Hey, looks great!

13 hours ago, DragonMage156 said:

Nice sketches and the little excerpts are really interesting ^_^

Thanks very much! I hope it turns out well.

On 3/16/2017 at 6:50 PM, GamingBud said:

You can put the title ("The Collected Colonies") in styled font anywhere on the art if you'd like. I'd like to publish this part of the story by April 1st, so submissions should be given by that day.

20170323p2-Duplication transmission.png

Fixed the image.

1 hour ago, GamingBud said:
  1. Nice! That font looks fantastic, but how did you get it to wrap and give it that perspective? Hand drawn?
  2. Edit: Just noticed the "C" in 'Colle(c)ted' is missing.
  1. Nope, a effect add-on for paintdotnet called "text formations". If you want to make digital art, paintdotnet is a really good choice.:wilson_smile:
  2. 20170323p2-Duplication transmission.pngFixed. Thanks for catching that.

Nope, a effect add-on for paintdotnet ...

I must have an old version. Wish it auto-updated, because that's the photo editor I use too ;).

Edit: Downloaded the install and realized the auto-update function. My version must have been bugged or something.

Newest sketch is on the first post. In this, three duplicants are being summoned through the printer. Beyond the right side of the printer is a space-like area from which the dupes are being sucked out of and "printed into existence." The lines on that side is the light coming from the printer. I'm not great at showing light rays, so you can translate that to whatever looks best.

Other than this, there's not much else to this piece. You don't have to put much detail into the left side. Maybe a faded background of the main area where your dupes first spawn. Maybe a plant for decoration.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, this is the beginning of the first episode. I was thinking just put a repeat of the title somewhere, "The Collected Colonies: Episode 1".

And let me know if you guys would like to see more excerpts. I'll share, but also make sure to keep big details from the story being shown.

Archived