[Game Update] (Preview Branch)- 210320

• Developer
  • fixed crash when you dug up a significant amount of your world
  • fixed crash if you were inspecting your circuit when a building got destroyed
  • planter box side screen shows more details about the plant's requirements
  • bristle blossoms produce more food, require less fertilizer and have a wider temperature range
  • fixed input/output amounts on various sources of polluted dirt/water/fertilizer
  • water purifier conversion rate now matches it's description
  • fixed a falling liquid mass loss bug

View full update

Edited by ImDaMisterL
  • Like 15

Wow those are some changes to Bristle Blossoms. It went from brittle thing to a sturdy champion.
Temperature range: -23°C - 27°C, Fertilizer 2 kg/cycle, and 2 fruits per harvest.

Basically went to 2 plants and 4 kg of fertilizer per duplicant and cycle.

Edited by Vilda

555.55 kcal a day makes Bristle Blossom actually worth using now.

Fertilizer Maker still useless as it can't run for the 30 seconds required to get anything out of it due to the Empty Pipe bug that has plagued the hydrogen generator for weeks now.

1 hour ago, Fatmice said:

Are you sure?  I swear I observe hydrogen generator working using its reserves instead of what is in the pipe.

The hydrogen generator does appear to function correctly now, but it's still the same bug, just somewhere else now.
Looking into how the hydrogen generator was fixed leads me to a one line fix for the fertilizer maker. Easy patches are nice.

EDIT: Yep. Added the patch in and it's working perfectly. Should be a quick fix if anybody notices this.

The Iron Gut/Disease bug is still in there btw. So really there is too much food right now, which is funny.

Edited by Risu

Good changes to Bio Distiller/Fertiliser Maker (their values actually make sense now although if what Risu said about them not taking water fast enough, that could still be a problem), but I have to echo the sentiment that food production is now too far in the other direction (way way way too easy), but I assume this is just a temporary hotfix until more food options are added later? Honestly I think it would have been enough to push the fixes to the Distiller/Fertiliser Maker (to make the Fertiliser Maker actually reasonably usable) and then maybe cut the fertiliser requirement for Blossoms in half, not 10 times.

I also don't understand changing Blossoms to have a more lenient temperature curve. I felt like that was a good example of how to add some difficulty to sustainability without just making it a brick wall (and for beginners, you have plenty of Mealwood seeds/Dirt for Mush Bars to give you time to set up an air cooling system in your farm so it actually worked as a decent difficulty curve scaling into the midgame). Honestly I would have liked for it have become MORE stringent. Right now Blossoms are more like Meal Lice used to be before the update which kind of seems like going in circles.

Yeah I know it's ironic to complain about it being 'too easy' now, but the pendulum swung so far the other way (Food production efficiency was raised by over 15-20 times with these changes at a glance which is quite absurd) with these changes.

Anyways, don't take this as me being super negative; it's just easier to talk about things that are broken then things that are working fine (they tend to jump out far more). Overall I think the update moved in positive directions (making wiring more complex, which while annoying is good for making you think more, temperature is much less wonky, although obviously still not quite perfect ect).

Something else I was meaning to mention: I think the new oxygen overlay is really confusing. It's very very hard to find contaminated oxygen in your base now: you have to hunt around individual tiles/pay attention carefully to colour which can be hard if you have buildings all over the place blocking the view, and unless your whole base is bathed in yellow it's kind of hard to tell sometimes if you have a 'leak'. I keep finding contaminated oxygen leaking in from weird places outside my base, and often times I don't know about it till many cycles after it actually happens. The old gas overlay was FAR better at telling me at a glance if I needed to fix something.

Edit: I looked at the Fertiliser Maker post update: It works fine, but it has the same problem as the Electrolyser used to; it has a 2000kg 'storage tank' for water but won't work if the pipe is empty (so basically it just takes 2000kg of water initially and then never uses it up). Probably just a question of needing to change the value down.

Edited by Troxism

i haven't check/tested this yet since the thermal update. (i haven't been able to play that much since the update came thro)

but are gases now properly being transfer in the pipe,valve, filter, etc?

no loss or whatsoever when they are being transfer through out the base using pipes, filter & vent?

Edited by Zervo

Something I would like to bring up regarding the thermal update that doesn't seem to be fixed.  I am not quite sure how we are intended to generate our own steam.  I had assumed it was the liquid tepidizers, however, it seems that they cannot get hot enough to boil water.  Since physics manipulation is one of the more appealing elements of this game, I'm a bit confused by this.

Is generating high extreme heat/cold something that we're just going to have to wait until later to be able to do?

3 hours ago, Troxism said:

Something else I was meaning to mention: I think the new oxygen overlay is really confusing. It's very very hard to find contaminated oxygen in your base now: you have to hunt around individual tiles/pay attention carefully to colour which can be hard if you have buildings all over the place blocking the view, and unless your whole base is bathed in yellow it's kind of hard to tell sometimes if you have a 'leak'. I keep finding contaminated oxygen leaking in from weird places outside my base, and often times I don't know about it till many cycles after it actually happens. The old gas overlay was FAR better at telling me at a glance if I needed to fix something.

It just works to tell how much oxygen it's around, I'd add some kind of selector that you can use to.. ehm... select... which gas you want to see in the overlay.

Also (I don't know if they added it in this branch or was it here before) when duplicants fart they -apart from smiling- they expel some polluted oxygen.

On 3/17/2017 at 1:07 AM, PickPay said:

Why do the values seem so chaotic. I can't make any sense of them. From mg to kg ... The proportions AND conversions seem WAY off, nothing usable without some crazy math....

Are you complaining about wrong math, or just that the display changes from mg to g to kg? Because these are all metric conversions, if you can't do them in your head you may need to return to school.

• Like 1